How Cardistry Got Me Invited to the TED Global Conference

Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
Friends,

Hope all's well. Got some great news the other day:

I will be attending the TED Global Conference this summer at Oxford.

At first, the idea of attending TED was a mere dream. My father proposed the idea of applying over my winter break. My dream was slowly turning in to a reality.

The application focused on passion and accomplishments. I focused about half of my application on the lessons I have derived out of cardistry and its impact on audiences and magicians worldwide. Here's one of the things I learned when filling out my application:

My Buckeye Tutorial has had hundreds of thousands of views on multiple websites over the years. If there was something that each viewer was able to take from the long tutorial video to add to their repertoire, I could directly impact the performances of thousands of magicians worldwide. Some of you may remember a poll I submitted months ago asking about how many audience members the average magician performs for every week. By applying this knowledge, I learned that my Buckeye Tutorial video alone positively impacts the lives of massive numbers (100,000? 1,000,000?) of people around the world. And this was all a result of 2hr's work. AND, I've made close to one hundred videos over the past six years...imagine the cumulative impact that an individual, like you and me, who just decided to pick up a deck of cards seriously one day, can have on the world now.

Us Cardists have always been on the forefront of the new developments of internet technologies, primarily Web 2.0. Our resources are infinite, imaginations deep and creative, and our willingness to turn the impossible in to a reality is strong. This is what characterizes the successful modern cardist.

The two weeks that I will be spending at Oxford attending the TED Global Conference will be life-changing. I certainly could not have made it there without everything you all have done to take cardistry to where it is today.

Thanks,

Jason Soll

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Jason,

This is wonderful news. Congratulations! Oh, and you have a very, very cool dad. Tell him that.

I look forward to the day I can take my own kids to TED, or TAM, or some similar event(s) when they are old enough....

Please enjoy, and send a link to your trip report when you get back!

--Allan

Sep 20, 2008
I didnt realise you made buckeye till about a month ago. it was one of those cuts that i said "Hell no." To. even though it was a tutorial.

Anyways, Congratulations. You may say that you have started me off flourishing too. As that flourish, along with Kevin's Ragnarok have kicked me off in this twirly packety spinny pandora thing.

Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
Oh, and you have a very, very cool dad.

Haha, I will indeed tell him that. Do you happen to know him or have met him in the past?

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will definitely be taking constant notes and be keeping a journal throughout the conference.

Jason

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results