Definition of Disgrace to Magic?

Hey guys, what's up:D
It's time to be serious now:(

Anyway, what is the definition of a Disgrace to Magic?

I am bringing this up because I have a friend who is relatively new to magic. He performs double-lifts suckliy (If that's a word) and repeats the same tricks. Also, I have noticed that he performs these tricks from youtube or a site like that. That's because when I asked him what dvd's he has he says none.

Today, I told him that he shouldn't do these bad tricks and perform it multiple times to the same person. He was executing poorly done double lifts and all of these weird tricks that I could tell what he was doing. It makes me so sad and angry:(:mad: so sangry (or aad). After I told him this he was like "SOO WHAT", then he started talking about that I'm too serious into magic and that he doesn't care. I felt a little offended . I think that being serious into magic is okay because for example if a person wants to become a carpenter then he is serious about carpentry. I don't want to be a magician, but still take it very seriously. Now I know that my friend is a disgrace to magic.

Anyway, what do you guys think is a disgrace to magic.
Here is my definition...

Disgrace to Magic- A person who does not feel that magic is an art and looks at stupid youtube tutorials.

EDIT: I actually want to have a part time job as a magician.

May 19, 2008
manchester
why dont you buy him a book? or buy the card fundementals and let him watch him, or even let him watch your dvds.

maybe show him what the effect are and then show him the dvds?

let him borrow your books?

Jul 14, 2008
I would have to agreed with you since that he is disgracing to the art of magic. Reason is because he does not study more deeply like us and take things seriously.

May 19, 2008
manchester
well then he just wants to know the secrets, thats quite natural really. (omg how did you do that?)

I would just say that his intrest will fizzle out.
he isnt a disgrace because he isnt a magician, hes a layman who knows some secrets, dont be horrible to him.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
It can only serve to make your magic look better.
After he really embarrasses himself somehow (it's coming) he'll probably stop altogether, or maybe actually get serious about it.

well then he just wants to know the secrets, thats quite natural really. (omg how did you do that?)

I would just say that his intrest will fizzle out.
he isnt a disgrace because he isnt a magician, hes a layman who knows some secrets, dont be horrible to him.

He wants to be a magician but he's lazy. He even bought a black tiger deck to try to prove that he's serious. <- That's kind of funny.

It can only serve to make your magic look better.
After he really embarrasses himself somehow (it's coming) he'll probably stop altogether, or maybe actually get serious about it.

True...:D

May 3, 2008
I was in his position at one point when I was starting out. It was until I discovered Theory11 that I actually treated what I did as more of an art and examine closely what I wanted to get out of magic, and where I wanted to go with it. My advice? Get him some books. Get him to read them and everytime you see him, ask him to show you his progress. If he seriously wants to do magic, then he will practice. If not, then he will get bored and lose interest.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
He's not a real magician. He's just a kid who knows magic tricks. He was probably just here to learn secrets and show off to his friends. He doesn't know there's a whole other realm of magic, where you can actually fool people and amaze them. Don't worry about it, he'll get bored eventually and quit.

He's not a real magician. He's just a kid who knows magic tricks. He was probably just here to learn secrets and show off to his friends. He doesn't know there's a whole other realm of magic, where you can actually fool people and amaze them. Don't worry about it, he'll get bored eventually and quit.

By the way, what do you guys think is the definition of magic.
:D;):p
P.S: I love using the smily faces.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
He'll get sick of it soon enough and will stop. He obviously does not have the passion for it. It's not really worth stressing over. Concentrate on your own work.

Cheers!

Mar 2, 2008
He is only doing one trick so it's not that big of a deal, he won't last long.

PS: Send me the link to his youtube channel!: :D

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
stop hangin out with him i had a friend like this and like an idiot i revealed some of my personal stuff then one day when i was performing he heckled me to the point where he was revealing the tricks as i did it so yea i wold just stop hangin with him

Mar 15, 2009
Minnesota
My personal definition of a disgrace to magic is of someone who is out to ruin magic, and will purchase and sometimes practice effects only for personal gain; to be able to say, "HA! I know what your doing. Hey, everyone Ian is only......".

While this sounds extreme, one of my "friends" at school actually purchases every effect that I show him. He learns it poorly, tries to act cool saying that he is a professional and better than me (at magic), and later explains the effect to everyone, completely ruining my performance. He has probably spent over $150 on effects/DVDs that he will never use for a legitimate purpose (I honestly don't know how he found the right DVDs with all of the ones that are available today). To put an end to this, I have started performing my own effects. Unfortunately, I only have 6 completely original ones, so I really can't keep him or anyone else entertained for long - I literally can't come up with stuff that is original and cool looking fast enough. If I perform anything else, he gets the effect within a couple of weeks and spoils my routine.

Now, I am perfectly fine with him wanting to know how the effects that I perform are done. If he wants to buy the effects for himself, that is his choice. But what I'm not okay with is when he blatantly breaks the magicians code and reveals effects that both provide the creator with income and that people work on. Because he claims that he is a magician, I believe that he is a disgrace to magic and needs to respect the magicians code.

One other way that I have avoided provoking exposure is not to present the tricks as a puzzle (I find myself naturally doing it with most effects, it was a little difficult to stop). If you do, the spectator is inspired to find the method, and feels as if they have won a personal victory over you if they figure out how the trick is done, whether it be from a DVD, book, or your performance.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
My personal definition of a disgrace to magic is of someone who is out to ruin magic, and will purchase and sometimes practice effects only for personal gain; to be able to say, "HA! I know what your doing. Hey, everyone Ian is only......".

While this sounds extreme, one of my "friends" at school actually purchases every effect that I show him. He learns it poorly, tries to act cool saying that he is a professional and better than me (at magic), and later explains the effect to everyone, completely ruining my performance. He has probably spent over $150 on effects/DVDs that he will never use for a legitimate purpose (I honestly don't know how he found the right DVDs with all of the ones that are available today). To put an end to this, I have started performing my own effects. Unfortunately, I only have 6 completely original ones, so I really can't keep him or anyone else entertained for long - I literally can't come up with stuff that is original and cool looking fast enough. If I perform anything else, he gets the effect within a couple of weeks and spoils my routine.

Now, I am perfectly fine with him wanting to know how the effects that I perform are done. If he wants to buy the effects for himself, that is his choice. But what I'm not okay with is when he blatantly breaks the magicians code and reveals effects that both provide the creator with income and that people work on. Because he claims that he is a magician, I believe that he is a disgrace to magic and needs to respect the magicians code.

One other way that I have avoided provoking exposure is not to present the tricks as a puzzle (I find myself naturally doing it with most effects, it was a little difficult to stop). If you do, the spectator is inspired to find the method, and feels as if they have won a personal victory over you if they figure out how the trick is done, whether it be from a DVD, book, or your performance.

Wow that sucks man. What i would do in this case is if i'm ask to perform for a group of people and the heckling friend is within that group, i would simply say "Well i'd love to show you some magic, but ____ here will probably ruin it, and that's no fun is it? Maybe another time" and then walk away. That way, the people who really wanted to see magic will take care of the friend themselves. If that friend isn't in the group, then you can go perform for them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results