Approaches to Magic

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
As I continue to delve into things I just wanted to see what you all do with this. Do you let your audience believe that what you are doing is real, or that it is skill???

I typically don't say anything and just let them assume stuff, but some tricks that are taught using a "mystical" approach. For example, Brad Christian (good teacher, not so sure about his ability to relate with the crowd) will always use lines like "Do you believe in spirits?"

What are your thoughts????

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Not every magic effect can be counted as 'skill'.
Even if it is a card effect. For example a gaff card. Or pushing a cap through a solid bottle.
The idea of skill goes out the window automatically.

Magic is theater. Thats all that you need to know.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I let them think whatever they want. When they ask how to do a trick, I say "Magic."

It's tacky, overused, and lacks creativity.

Common now, people aren't stupid. You can't possibly get away with saying "Magic" and hope they think you're sane.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
It's tacky, overused, and lacks creativity.

Common now, people aren't stupid. You can't possibly get away with saying "Magic" and hope they think you're sane.

Agreed, I see this all the time. When I went out last night to perform I just made up the most bogus excuses what so ever to why I was I able to change cards. I sort of made it a comedic thing. They knew I wasn't serious, but they didn't ask anymore. Two birds, one stone.
I am still working on it though.

you tacky basta*ds. You really cant expect anyone to believe a card coming to the top of the deck is magic, can you? The key to magic is your friend and mine, ambiguity. This is the only way people will believe anything, is if you let them lead themselves to the conclusion of magic. Its also dangerous, but handled right, can be very interesting. Like when ppl ask me how its done, I get a blank, distant, troubled look on my face and shrug my shoulders. Thats it.

When asked how an effect was accomplished, I try my best to brush off the question and ignore it altogether. I don't like the idea of responding with stupid one-liners that cheapen the experience. Inherently, people know trickery is involved in magic. In my opinion, to say what we're doing is "real" is insulting and foolish to the audience. I believe this applies to everything, from simple sleight-of-hand to more elaborate (diabolical) effects as well.

In fact, when I'm asked the question, I let people sit in that anxiety. The fact that people legitimately want to know how something is accomplished actually demonstrates their state of wonder in the effect. Think about it. After seeing something impossible occur, in their heads they've exhausted every possible solution they could fathom to solve the trick. They can't logically put the puzzle together. They're left floating looking for answers, floating in state where things don't make sense. At the risk of sounding very Paul Harris-esque, that's astonishment.

After they sit in that state for a few moments, I'll often respond, "Why does it matter?" This question forces them to reflect on how the effect touched them. I notice that they often don't even answer back, because they appreciate the experience more. They grow more accomodating to that feeling of wonder and get more involved and interested in what I have to offer. Mundus Vult Decipi.

RS.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
When asked how an effect was accomplished, I try my best to brush off the question and ignore it altogether. I don't like the idea of responding with stupid one-liners that cheapen the experience. Inherently, people know trickery is involved in magic. In my opinion, to say what we're doing is "real" is insulting and foolish to the audience. I believe this applies to everything, from simple sleight-of-hand to more elaborate (diabolical) effects as well.

In fact, when I'm asked the question, I let people sit in that anxiety. The fact that people legitimately want to know how something is accomplished actually demonstrates their state of wonder in the effect. Think about it. After seeing something impossible occur, in their heads they've exhausted every possible solution they could fathom to solve the trick. They can't logically put the puzzle together. They're left floating looking for answers, floating in state where things don't make sense. At the risk of sounding very Paul Harris-esque, that's astonishment.

After they sit in that state for a few moments, I'll often respond, "Why does it matter?" This question forces them to reflect on how the effect touched them. I notice that they often don't even answer back, because they appreciate the experience more. They grow more accomodating to that feeling of wonder and get more involved and interested in what I have to offer. Mundus Vult Decipi.

RS.

Well said, Romeo, well said

Apr 28, 2008
If you think you can convince your audiences that it's actually magic, that you're actually breaking the laws of physics then you're delusional. You'll probably get the odd person who thinks you're satan but you just won't convince the average person it's magic.

If I was a spectator and I asked the magician how it's done and he gave some one liner or said 'it's magic' then i'd be really irritated and feel that he is insulting my intelligence.

It should be left ambiguous, we can't convince them it's magic but you can put them in the situation where they 'know' it couldn't have been sleight of hand either so they have no explanation for what happened.

M

Mystifier1

I tend to take the Mystical approach and let them think what they want.

Recently someone asked me "Was that an illusion" and I replied " It's whatever you want it to be"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results