Help - Another Magician at School

Feb 3, 2008
So a couple of friends and I are into magic, and we do magic at school during lunch for people. One of my friends just recently learned clipshift, and now he thinks he is the SH*T.... He is extremely cocky now. Eveytime i show someone a trick now he steals it. But the worst part is that he believes he is like the best on earth now, when really his magic is extremely crappy. I saw him ask someone if they wanted to see a trick, and the person responded with "I already know how all of your magic is done! Its SH**T and its not even magic!" But anyways I have a reputation at my school for magic, and i dont want him to ruin it, so i was wondering if you guys had any ideas to put him in his place and teach him a lesson......

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just work hard and persist with what you're doing. If he really is such a deviant then he'll loose interest in time. And if you are truly dedicated then you'll just move past his transgressions. Or share this information with him. Maybe he doesn't realize he's being such a wiener. Maybe he is also dedicated (he did learn the clipshift after all. Its not easy. Of course he might suck at it for all i know). But i would tell him that he is coming off as a jerk. And that he's prostituting his tricks. That he needs to spend more time working on them (if he really is getting reactions of "i already know how you do your tricks")

But if you are dead set on "putting him in his place and teaching him a lesson" i don't know what to tell you. I'm sure you could orchestrate an elaborate scheme to make him fail but i don't think that's a very great idea. Definitely try talking to him first.

If you are right about what you're saying and not just overreacting because of jealousy or something then the other guy (you said there were three of you right?) should probably feel the same way. So confront him in a nice way and tell him how you guys feel.

Peace.

you could also stop performing for a while. let him mellow out a bit, humble out. dont talk to him about magic.
all that time you can practice your clipshift and get it even better (if it isnt already)
just let him make a fool out of himself.

Nov 4, 2009
Mr. Ection said some really good points as in go talk to him. Also, if he can really perform a good clipshift then why don't you try and learn a different really cool trick, or set of tricks, and practice them till they're perfected and steal his glory xD. How exactly does he steal your tricks though, do you tell him the names of them and he looks them up on youtube on how to do it or he just figures them out?

Feb 3, 2008
Hey Guys thank you sooo much for the advice!
I really appreciate it! I guess i am gonna try talking to him, and if that doesnt work out then i just wont take out my cards when i am around him.....
Thanks Again!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
So a couple of friends and I are into magic, and we do magic at school during lunch for people. One of my friends just recently learned clipshift, and now he thinks he is the SH*T.... He is extremely cocky now. Eveytime i show someone a trick now he steals it. But the worst part is that he believes he is like the best on earth now, when really his magic is extremely crappy. I saw him ask someone if they wanted to see a trick, and the person responded with "I already know how all of your magic is done! Its SH**T and its not even magic!" But anyways I have a reputation at my school for magic, and i dont want him to ruin it, so i was wondering if you guys had any ideas to put him in his place and teach him a lesson......

Thanks!

1) Ignore his ego. Let him believe what he wants - everyone already knows otherwise. He will fade out and fade away and he will always be nothing.

2) Spend your time practicing. You need to better than this and above this.

3) If he can steal your tricks, then you need to practice more.

4) Stick to your guns. You know you'll come out on top.

Jan 10, 2008
I'd try just talking to him, i'm sure he will understand if he's any sort of friend. Now if he doesn't, just start talking weird stuff to him, like "I'm going to eat you." or "What color is the sky?" i'm sure it will at least throw him off enough for you to take his deck of cards hostage.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
heh this is a good lesson in performance vs effect. Don't bring out new stuff, just work on your performance of what you already do. You and he may do the same tricks, but if your personality and performance it better, then you will stand out.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
perform human blockhead but don't tell him how.... the rest will just work itself out...

if felony's aren't your thing than go with what praetoritevong said.

Jun 29, 2008
perform human blockhead but don't tell him how.... the rest will just work itself out...

if felony's aren't your thing than go with what praetoritevong said.

..... I'm gonna consider that if I ever come across this problem....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results