Beginner Hypnosis

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey everyone at T11!

I've been trying to get into hypnosis for a while, although it looks really intimidating. Alas, Derren Brown has changed the way I look at the world.

So I've recently ordered Reality is Plastic, and the Manchurian Approach.

What else would you hypnotists suggest?

Also, how did you learn, and what influenced you?

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
I have a good book called The Encylcopedia of Stage Hypnotism by Ormond McGill that has SO much awesome material. It's a little old school but it is really important stuff. I suggest that.

kevin

Feb 9, 2010
Boston
Agreed if you study both of those you'll have a great understanding of it.

Nothing compairs to learning hands on from a professional though. If you can take a class or possibly approach a professional office that is typically the best way. Sure reading about it will give you an understanding BUT having a professional watch you and help you along will have a much more profound effect on your learning.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
To be honest, 'Reality is Plastic' is the only book I think you'll ever need. There was one other book I read that was really bad, but contained one little idea in it that completely changed my hypnosis, but I struggle to remember the name of the book now. If I remember, I'll post it here.

To be honest, hypnosis is a funny subject. You can read many different texts on it and gain a complete understanding of it, but by far the best way to learn is to just try it yourself, and practice. Experiment for yourself, and find what works. Once you know the basics (you'll get this and much more from 'Realiy is Plastic' and 'The Manchurian Approach' ) you just need to try it and keep trying it. It's the only way to learn hypnosis really, in my opinion.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Thanks guys.

I would love to study under a professional! But, alas... the only ones I know are in the UK.

I live in AL, and there is basically no magic/hypnosis/anything here.

Feb 9, 2010
Boston
Thanks guys.

I would love to study under a professional! But, alas... the only ones I know are in the UK.

I live in AL, and there is basically no magic/hypnosis/anything here.

Try finding a "clinic" type. I'm sure you can find one fairly close to you.

While Reality is Plastic has a lot of awesome information it isn't a complete course and Anthony recommends further reading. Ormond's book is WIDELY suggested among the working pro's.

Also for some great pro's to talk to on the subject I would check out the Cafe and ask around there. The guys in that section are usually very helpful. I know Nongard and Anthony post there from time to time as well as James Rolph.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Try finding a "clinic" type. I'm sure you can find one fairly close to you.

While Reality is Plastic has a lot of awesome information it isn't a complete course and Anthony recommends further reading. Ormond's book is WIDELY suggested among the working pro's.

Also for some great pro's to talk to on the subject I would check out the Cafe and ask around there. The guys in that section are usually very helpful. I know Nongard and Anthony post there from time to time as well as James Rolph.
If you want somewhere you can talk about hypnosis, check out the Uncommon Knowledge hypnosis section.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Popping in for a reply to this.

You have some good books to start with and what Kevin said about "The Encycolpedia of Stage Hypotism" is true.

I still recommend the hypnosis section of Derren Brown's book "Tricks of the Mind". Very concise, accurate, honest and pretty much all you really need. You don't really need someone to "teach it to you".

You see, you can read all you want but the real way to learn is to get a good friend to practice on, try different things, different suggestions and "inductions". After doing different that for a while, you'll find what you need to do to accomplish the effect and find a good routine/show that works for you.

I'm not on all that much here anymore, but if you want some pointers or ideas, please feel free to send me a PM.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Popping in for a reply to this.

You have some good books to start with and what Kevin said about "The Encycolpedia of Stage Hypotism" is true.

I still recommend the hypnosis section of Derren Brown's book "Tricks of the Mind". Very concise, accurate, honest and pretty much all you really need. You don't really need someone to "teach it to you".

You see, you can read all you want but the real way to learn is to get a good friend to practice on, try different things, different suggestions and "inductions". After doing different that for a while, you'll find what you need to do to accomplish the effect and find a good routine/show that works for you.

I'm not on all that much here anymore, but if you want some pointers or ideas, please feel free to send me a PM.

Amazing as this book is, and as much as I think everybody should read it, I think a complete beginner would struggle to learn hypnosis from it. I'm not saying it's impossible, and coupled with the information in the other sources already mentioned then it would probably only help, but I think to start off with, someone could find it quite confusing. Still definitely worth a read at some point though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results