The Theories of Magic

Sep 2, 2007
Yeah, this part of T11's advertising was a little misleading. I was expecting a dvd or lecture notes that actually taught a principle. . . not a magic store. Don't get me wrong. This seems like a great supplier. . . it's just that the trailer vids talked about a closely guarded, underground principle in magic, and what we got was a magic store.

1. Production
2. Vanish
3. Transposition
4. Transformation
5. Multiplication
6. Penetration
7. Restoration
8. Suspension
9. Levitation
10. Mentalism
11. . . Magic shop?

Doesn't make much sense.

Just to add some additional info here:

#1 Production:
Making someone or something appear. Examples are Appearing Cane, Appearing Candle, etc.

#2 Vanish:
Making someone or something disappear. Examples are Vanishing Cane, Vanishing Candle, etc.

#3 Transposition:
Making someone or something move magically to a different location. A variation of this can involve two objects exchanging places. This movement is normally invisible or covered from the audience's view (An object moving by itself visibly would be a different effect). Examples are Card to Wallet, Ambitious Card, etc.

#4 Transformation:
Making someone or something to change appearance. This can be further divided into different variations, for example a color change would be something only changing color but still maintaining its shape (Color-changing Candle), whereas a sponge ball turning into a sponge square would be something changing shape but still maintaining its material. Lastly, an object can change entirely into another object, for example an apple changing to an orange.

#5 Multiplication:
Making someone or something appear repeatedly in succession. This is essentially a production but I consider this a separate effect because I think the repeated nature of this has quite a different effect on an audience as compared to a standard production routine where different things are being produced from a space that is too small to hold them. Some examples of this are Multiplying Billiard Balls, Multiplying Bottles, etc.

#6 Penetration:
Making someone or something pass through another person or object. Examples are all the solid through solid tricks.

#7 Restoration:
Restoring someone or something to the original condition after being cut or broken apart. Examples are Torn and Restored Newspaper, Sawing Through A Woman and most of the large stage illusions.

#8 Suspension:
Making someone or something remain suspended impossibly in mid-air. This can be perceived as a kind of magical balancing act as in the case of the Chair Suspension where the girl's body still rests partially on the chair. Another variation is the Floating Carpet where the girl seems to be floating on a carpet entirely free of any support.

#9 Levitation:
Making someone or something float and move impossibly in mid-air. This looks quite similar to the Suspension effect, however I distinguish this as having a lot of independent movement and not just remaining in one spot in the air. Examples are The Floating Rose, Asrah Levitation, etc.

#10 Mentalism:
I use this as a catch-all category for all effects that seem to be performed by mind power, for example mind-reading, prediction, telekinesis and others. I will discuss this category further in another article.

Sep 4, 2007
I could not agree more and I often quote those "genres" to show that there is no such thing as "new" magic, but new ways of doing the old things.

People have been making things disappear forever, but it took Copperfield to make the Statue of Liberty disappear. People have been levitating forever, but it took Copperfield to fly.

I may be wrong, but I think the Theory they were trying to advance was that it was possible to create a community of magicians...for magicians...to create a unity. I applaud the notion.

RJ

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I could not agree more and I often quote those "genres" to show that there is no such thing as "new" magic, but new ways of doing the old things.

People have been making things disappear forever, but it took Copperfield to make the Statue of Liberty disappear. People have been levitating forever, but it took Copperfield to fly.

I may be wrong, but I think the Theory they were trying to advance was that it was possible to create a community of magicians...for magicians...to create a unity. I applaud the notion.

RJ

So RJ, based on what you're saying...

T11 is trying to make brotherhood the 11th theory of magic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
So RJ, based on what you're saying...

T11 is trying to make brotherhood the 11th theory of magic?

I think using the word "theory" is unfortunate in that none of the ten listed so-called theories are actually theories; hence, the idea of a site that brings magicians together in a unified atmosphere as the 11th theory is difficult to support. As I said, however, I do applaud the notion of a group of individuals believing that they could create a site that could accomplish this.

I think it would have been more accurate to consider the 10 listed theories to be "elements" rather than theories. It is too late, I would suppose, to change the name of the site to Element11. I don't know...I have gone back to the original T11 site to re-watch the teaser videos building up to the release of this site in order to see if what was hyped is actually what we got. I am not convinced that we got quite what was intimated, but I really do have to say they did a heck of a job building up to the release of T11.

RJ

Nov 8, 2007
Nice theory there. I would say T11 is just everything from T1 to T10, delivering the info, plus entertaining the audience haha :):):)

RJ

I think there is something as NEW magic, we just have not played with or probably even discovered it yet. For thousands of years we have been doing magic to fool the eye's. What if we started fooling with our other sences.

For example what if I got a beer bottle and smashed it on the ground, you see the glass breaking, but you don't HEAR a thing! Its completely silent, but yet see you the bottle shattering on the ground. Its like that old saying, if a tree falls, but no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Our other sences are things that are a lot harder to fool though, Eye's are easily distracted, because they get so much information we have a lot to work with in order to fool them. Our ears- the hearing sence is so simple, they only do one thing and that is HEAR. they pick up vibrations.
How do you fool the ears?

Could this be Theory 11, fooling our OTHER sences?

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results