Pass 2010

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Focus on moving your hands less, and especially that left first finger. Right now it looks like you're massaging the deck or something. Lots and lots of hand movement to tip off that -something- has happened, even though your pass is quite fast and invisible otherwise. Though the fact that you're doing this for a webcam also influences how good it looks. In person it may be more obvious, I don't know.

You might want to work on trying to be a bit more open, but I think that's my own aesthetics coming into play.

Oh, and don't use a yellow backed deck with a bright light and expect us to see anything that's happening :)

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Nice, try to keep your first finger from moving so much, what i mean is when you do the pass your finger sticks out, when it's just holding the pack not doing the pass its at the top of the pack, sooo cement that finger in place. Another note, everytime you do the pass your hand blocks the pack preventing us from seeing it which is great in a one-one situation but wouldn't help when surrounded. All in all very nice.:)

Aug 31, 2007
Nice, try to keep your first finger from moving so much, what i mean is when you do the pass your finger sticks out, when it's just holding the pack not doing the pass its at the top of the pack, sooo cement that finger in place. Another note, everytime you do the pass your hand blocks the pack preventing us from seeing it which is great in a one-one situation but wouldn't help when surrounded. All in all very nice.:)

Thanks for your advice!!
I have one question: does the hand blocking thing really matter? cus like doing a pass does not HAVE TO show it in a flashy way unless I misunderstand the theory at the back.........for me, a pass should not be flashy at all (even though I know that my pass is still obvious at all)

Aug 31, 2007
Focus on moving your hands less, and especially that left first finger. Right now it looks like you're massaging the deck or something. Lots and lots of hand movement to tip off that -something- has happened, even though your pass is quite fast and invisible otherwise. Though the fact that you're doing this for a webcam also influences how good it looks. In person it may be more obvious, I don't know.

You might want to work on trying to be a bit more open, but I think that's my own aesthetics coming into play.

Oh, and don't use a yellow backed deck with a bright light and expect us to see anything that's happening :)

I will try to eliminate the hand movement as much as possible, thanks!!!

BTW, does a pass REALLY have to be flashy?@@
cus I see many people doing the pass in a FAST AND FLASHY way while I try to go for Akira Fuji's classic pass.......
IDK if I should go for his one or just do the same thing as people on youtube =\

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Any movement at all is bad, still, I have never seen a burnable pass with no movement, but I haven't seen some of the top card mechanics passes so I am sure there is someone somewhere that is perfect at it. The best passes happen when there is no perceptible movement. A great way to do avoid this is to do the pass the moment your two hands come together as if simply grasping the deck. Covering the pack for the pass as a change is fine but when doing the pass secretly it simply creates unnecessary movement. Ask if you have any questions.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I will try to eliminate the hand movement as much as possible, thanks!!!

BTW, does a pass REALLY have to be flashy?@@
cus I see many people doing the pass in a FAST AND FLASHY way while I try to go for Akira Fuji's classic pass.......
IDK if I should go for his one or just do the same thing as people on youtube =\

I don't think it should be flashy at all. That's why I said you should eliminate as much hand movement as possible. I don't think your hand blocking the top packet is that big of a deal, considering that's a point when no one should be looking at the deck anyway. Unless you want to use it as a color change. Then you need to keep your hand clear so people can tell that it's changed. I like to keep my hands kind of open because it's just a sort of subconscious subtlety that says, "he's not doing anything fishy, just squaring or holding the deck."

Have you seen Jason England's 1on1 for the pass? He gives a couple tips on there that have helped me immensely with making my pass deceptive.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I think people look at the pass as a move that HAS to be done with little finger movement. In my opinion, I think the misdirection goes hand in hand with the pass. While there are some amazing passes out there that look movementless, the reality of it is, with proper misdirection, you can fly a pass by anyone and make it seem as good as someone whom you have let burn your hands while you executed a perfect pass.
Dan Hauss executes a classic pass while asking the spectator, "Do you know what a pass is?" And while his pass is nowhere near as good as Jason England's...he still makes it work for him, and flys it right by people who thought they were at one time burning the heck out of his hands.
All with proper misdirection.
Thank you to my 12th grade English teacher for teaching me how to write run on sentences...

Mike

Jun 10, 2010
I think people look at the pass as a move that HAS to be done with little finger movement. In my opinion, I think the misdirection goes hand in hand with the pass. While there are some amazing passes out there that look movementless, the reality of it is, with proper misdirection, you can fly a pass by anyone and make it seem as good as someone whom you have let burn your hands while you executed a perfect pass.
Dan Hauss executes a classic pass while asking the spectator, "Do you know what a pass is?" And while his pass is nowhere near as good as Jason England's...he still makes it work for him, and flys it right by people who thought they were at one time burning the heck out of his hands.
Thank you to my 12th grade English teacher for teaching me how to write run on sentences...

Mike

Ditto.

Maybe it's because I've never learned the Classic Pass, maybe it's because it's my style, or maybe it's because I'm not looking for it: Your pass didn't seem to flash (to me, atleast), and the way you handled the cards had a sort of simple elegancy to it. I actually enjoyed watching that.

P.S. And Mike? One subject, one predicate, one sentence. That's the rule. ;)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Mike

I totally agree that the misdirection should be there so that it doesn't matter if the pass is a bit sloppy. However, I also think it's a good idea to refine the technique as much as possible. I never do a pass of any sort if someone is looking at my hands. I always do them under very strong misdirection. However, I'm still perfecting it, because if I can do it while they look at my hands, then I can damn sure do it while they look me in the eyes, you know?

Aug 31, 2007
Any movement at all is bad, still, I have never seen a burnable pass with no movement, but I haven't seen some of the top card mechanics passes so I am sure there is someone somewhere that is perfect at it. The best passes happen when there is no perceptible movement. A great way to do avoid this is to do the pass the moment your two hands come together as if simply grasping the deck. Covering the pack for the pass as a change is fine but when doing the pass secretly it simply creates unnecessary movement. Ask if you have any questions.

So should I keep the way I do my pass (slow and not flashy) and keep eliminate all of those unnecessary movments

OR

Just go back to the method whether people do fast and flashy classic pass like a colour change type whenever they do it??

Arthur

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What do you want to do? What are your intentions with the pass? How are you going to use it?

We can't answer these questions for you, you have to make those decisions.

Aug 31, 2007
What do you want to do? What are your intentions with the pass? How are you going to use it?

We can't answer these questions for you, you have to make those decisions.

My intention with the pass is to secretly transfer a card to certain position; So I dont want to do it in a flashy way =\

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ta da. That wasn't hard at all, was it? In order to make it secret, you'll want to keep your hands as still as possible so you're not cluing the spectator that 'something' has gone on. Doing the move as soon as your hands come together (as previously mentioned in this thread) is also highly advised.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Ta da. That wasn't hard at all, was it? In order to make it secret, you'll want to keep your hands as still as possible so you're not cluing the spectator that 'something' has gone on. Doing the move as soon as your hands come together (as previously mentioned in this thread) is also highly advised.

or you could have the most obvious pass of all time, and just misdirect them.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
My intention with the pass is to secretly transfer a card to certain position; So I dont want to do it in a flashy way =\

Then choose some other move. Using the pass to ONLY move one card to the top is silly, specially when there are better and easier ways to do it.

Look into the Side Steal, and other such moves. Also worry less about fooling people on a message board and a webcam, and worry more about performing it for real people.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Then choose some other move. Using the pass to ONLY move one card to the top is silly, specially when there are better and easier ways to do it.

Look into the Side Steal, and other such moves. Also worry less about fooling people on a message board and a webcam, and worry more about performing it for real people.

He's looking for feedback on a move he wants to learn. There are many ways to do what we do, and many of those ways are completely valid.

Aug 31, 2007

I am not looking for something to control the card to top of deck, but FEEDBACKS of my pass. =]

Aug 31, 2007

Thanks for you advice =]
I always think that doing a slow and not flashy pass with misdirection will work, but now you just give me a great point :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results