Changes

Aug 22, 2010
Where are the best places to learn the card tricks where a card changes color and such? For instance with the black and white ghost decks, I have seen tricks where people turn the entire deck from black to white or just single cards. Or red bicycles to blue bicycles. What do I need to buy to learn this stuff?

I'm brand new to cardistry and magic. I started learning cardistry three weeks ago but would like to get into magic as well. I bought Genesis and The Trilogy, but I haven't watched The Trilogy yet.

Dec 28, 2009
arkansas
i would suggest you mabey get surfaced for one of the best color changes and aslo look in the media videos for some of the tricks by jason and eddie and the other guys learn simple stuff and make all the friend you can to help you learn and create new stuff

Jun 10, 2010
Where are the best places to learn the card tricks where a card changes color and such? For instance with the black and white ghost decks, I have seen tricks where people turn the entire deck from black to white or just single cards. Or red bicycles to blue bicycles. What do I need to buy to learn this stuff?

I'm brand new to cardistry and magic. I started learning cardistry three weeks ago but would like to get into magic as well. I bought Genesis and The Trilogy, but I haven't watched The Trilogy yet.

Lots of places. They're called color changes, there's a free one taught here actually, it's the Classic Color Change, taught by JB himself.

An entire card changing can be done with normal cards... to have some of it rub off into another color (there's a few effects with gaff/ultragaff decks available at E) require gaffed cards, which are basically normal cards with a special print-job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 22, 2010
I have the classic color change downloaded from this site but haven't looked at it as I have been working on cardistry instead. I'll look at that and the media section.

If you go to the ellusionist site and watch the intro videos for the ghost decks and arcane decks you will see some tricks where the cards change into the other color since there are both black/white versions of each of the decks.

Jan 31, 2010
i would suggest you mabey get surfaced for one of the best color changes and aslo look in the media videos for some of the tricks by jason and eddie and the other guys learn simple stuff and make all the friend you can to help you learn and create new stuff

You would suggest Surfaced for someone that has been playing with cards for 3 weeks? That purchase would be an immense mistake. The clipshift is excellent but far too difficult at this stage.

Color Changes, as sleights, are defined as changing one card into another. This could be the 8H into the 8S or something more drastic like the KC. Many many many color changes exist, and every magician has their own personal favorites. Read books and practice.

As for actually changing the color of a card from blue to red, black to white, etc, one of the most famous effect is The Chicago Opener, also known as Red Hot Mama. I highly recommend this particular trick, and the mechanics are quite simple.

Oct 1, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I agree... Surfaced? ... 3 weeks? no no... I think you actually wasted money with purchasing Trilogy so early as well. I bought it way too early. Almost a year into these forms of art. I got over confident in what I'd learned and was like 'meh' this won't be any challenge... wrong. I still haven't bought Surfaced because of that. Save the money for now, start smaller, and simpler. You won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Just look at any of "masterillusions" other posts and you will see that he is nothing but an anonymous member without the slightest idea about magic. As such his opinion is essentially worthless.

AbjectEvolution, welcome to the world of cardistry and magic! It looks like you're keen to get into things. Can I give you one piece of advice? Slow down. You've bought a lot already. It will take you many many months to get through some of those things. Considering you've bought two DVD sets and have yet to even look through one, it gives you some indication.

However, if you do want a source on colour changes, Jay Noblezada has a DVD which purely teaches colour changes, called, suitably enough, "Color Changes".

Jul 13, 2010
I started learning cardistry three weeks ago but would like to get into magic as well.
If you´re serious about card magic, my advice is get a copy of Card College Vol. 1 and 2. Put the other stuff aside for some time.
Study it until you´ve mastered everything within. Focus on two or three tricks you like the most and practice until you have them down cold. Perform these tricks regulary in front of an audience (friends, family, strangers).
Then buy Vol. 3 and 4 and go on.
That will keep you busy for quite some time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results