Shipping Prices on Cards Question?

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
To all at Theory11...
It's hard for me to understand the logic in buying a brick of say Tally Ho's for example at about $26, and then have to pay a little over $15 for shipping to California.
Can't we flat rate ship it for say $5 or something? I could tolerate buying a brick, and after shipping and tax, only be out say $30.
In the end it deters me away from buying decks of cards, even though you guys have some of the best deals, and the best quality of playing cards.
Can anything be done about shipping prices on cards?

-JOSH

Jun 10, 2010
To all at Theory11...
It's hard for me to understand the logic in buying a brick of say Tally Ho's for example at about $26, and then have to pay a little over $15 for shipping to California.
Can't we flat rate ship it for say $5 or something? I could tolerate buying a brick, and after shipping and tax, only be out say $30.
In the end it deters me away from buying decks of cards, even though you guys have some of the best deals, and the best quality of playing cards.
Can anything be done about shipping prices on cards?

-JOSH

Flat rate shipping would be sweet if the order was under a certain price or something.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Our goal with shipping is and always has been to charge a fair amount. Not too little, not too much. Oftentimes, other companies (inside and outside of the magic community) will artificially inflate the price of their products to reduce the cost of shipping. Don't be fooled. Buying a $3 deck with $5 shipping is the same as buying an $8 deck with free shipping. The only difference is that one of the two is more transparent than the other.

Over the past three years, we have only done one thing with our shipping charges: reduced them. In fact, we reduced our shipping significantly for the 2009 holiday season. It was supposed to be a limited time discount - but we made it permanent. With regard to your specific question, a quick check of USPS.com would yield the following result. I'm not sure of your exact location in California, but I typed in 90210 (Hollywood!) for easy math. Shipping 12 decks resulted in a ship charge of about $12.70 via Priority Mail - which means that our quoted rate is very reasonable and highly competitive.

It is impossible to fit 12 decks inside of the $4.95 USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, so there is no way to ship cards securely across country for $5.00 as hypothesized in your original post. If there is and we're not aware of it, let us know and we will start using that option immediately! Until then, we are forced to utilize the most economical, safe options available to make sure the decks get from our warehouse to your doorstep without damage, at a reasonable cost.

Jul 22, 2010
Our goal with shipping is and always has been to charge a fair amount. Not too little, not too much. Oftentimes, other companies (inside and outside of the magic community) will artificially inflate the price of their products to reduce the cost of shipping. Don't be fooled. Buying a $3 deck with $5 shipping is the same as buying an $8 deck with free shipping. The only difference is that one of the two is more transparent than the other.

Over the past three years, we have only done one thing with our shipping charges: reduced them. In fact, we reduced our shipping significantly for the 2009 holiday season. It was supposed to be a limited time discount - but we made it permanent. With regard to your specific question, a quick check of USPS.com would yield the following result. I'm not sure of your exact location in California, but I typed in 90210 (Hollywood!) for easy math. Shipping 12 decks resulted in a ship charge of about $12.70 via Priority Mail - which means that our quoted rate is very reasonable and highly competitive.

It is impossible to fit 12 decks inside of the $4.95 USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, so there is no way to ship cards securely across country for $5.00 as hypothesized in your original post. If there is and we're not aware of it, let us know and we will start using that option immediately! Until then, we are forced to utilize the most economical, safe options available to make sure the decks get from our warehouse to your doorstep without damage, at a reasonable cost.

plus, you can get 30% on that brick of cards you want to get if you got that special email xD

J

Joseph C

plus, you can get 30% on that brick of cards you want to get if you got that special email xD

Well.....27.75%....but anyways.....

You can fit up to 16 decks in a flat-rate priority envelope ($4.90). But, if you don't think that is so secure, 6 bricks or so can fit in a medium flat-rate box ($10.70). So Priority should really cap out at $10.70 ($10.20 if paid online).

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
Hikeeba...
Good find!
I still think over $15 for a brick of cards, in this case Tally's, which are only costing $27, is still a bit much. I would gladly order 16 decks, variety from T11 if I knew shipping was only gonna cost $5.00.
I understand everything that JB is saying, and i am in no way trying to start a fight with anyone...It's just hard to justify half of the cost of my product in shipping...

-JOSH

J

Joseph C

I still think over $15 for a brick of cards, in this case Tally's, which are only costing $27, is still a bit much. I would gladly order 16 decks, variety from T11 if I knew shipping was only gonna cost $5.00.
I understand everything that JB is saying, and i am in no way trying to start a fight with anyone...It's just hard to justify half of the cost of my product in shipping...

-JOSH

I agree. I got the e-mail flyer, linked right over and threw a brick in the cart, but when I saw the postage (and not being 30%) I emptied the cart. I can always just get a deck or two that's here with others decks from other places - all from the same dealer (who fits up to 16 in a flat rate envelope) - and save on the shipping.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
Hikeeba...
I did the exact same thing. Filled up the cart with a brick of cards, and put in the code, and then saw postage and promptly emptied the cart.

You think that's bad? Go ahead and check out E's. Now THEY have outrageous shipping. When I got my stuff, which was $250-ish the shipping was $50. Although, they did solve it and decide to pay the shipping themselves. STILL. Shipping = bad.

Jun 10, 2010
You think that's bad? Go ahead and check out E's. Now THEY have outrageous shipping. When I got my stuff, which was $250-ish the shipping was $50. Although, they did solve it and decide to pay the shipping themselves. STILL. Shipping = bad.

$250 worth of material from E either means you're loaded and not spending your money right, or you were high.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful if you were talking to me Casey. I spent $250 on flash paper, and actually just cards. Before you go any further, I bought all of this back when all E decks were UV 500 which was the USPCC's top notch card finish. Despite what others may say, these decks last me a long time. I bought them in December 2009 and I have only burned through....5 decks to date? I think it's worth buying E decks considering that they last me 8 times as long as reg bikes from costco which cost $1 something, where as E decks cost between 4-9$. Either way, it's gonna calculate to be cheaper or slightly more expensive. So do your math before you start bashing any company.

Anyway, I do regret buying ''custom'' decks for only one reason. My friends close friends and family have commented on how the elderly or just anyone else find it hard to see the cards. With that said, I'll continue to buy off E for reg. Masters decks and maybe anything else. Not all E material is stupid.

Mehar

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I didn't mean to be disrespectful if you were talking to me Casey. I spent $250 on flash paper, and actually just cards. Before you go any further, I bought all of this back when all E decks were UV 500 which was the USPCC's top notch card finish. Despite what others may say, these decks last me a long time. I bought them in December 2009 and I have only burned through....5 decks to date? I think it's worth buying E decks considering that they last me 8 times as long as reg bikes from costco which cost $1 something, where as E decks cost between 4-9$. Either way, it's gonna calculate to be cheaper or slightly more expensive. So do your math before you start bashing any company.

Anyway, I do regret buying ''custom'' decks for only one reason. My friends close friends and family have commented on how the elderly or just anyone else find it hard to see the cards. With that said, I'll continue to buy off E for reg. Masters decks and maybe anything else. Not all E material is stupid.

Mehar

I was speaking to Saborfang17 because I quoted him. You're all good man, no need to worry. :). Custom decks like those are great for the collection, I have every E deck for my collection and they look and feel great.

-Casey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results