Sleeve Star Worth it?

Aug 14, 2010
Hello people!

I'm planning on buying Sleeve Star. What is the difficult level? Do you need to have coin knowledge? Is the price worth the effect? Can it be performed with a shirt? Thanks!

Jan 16, 2008
I've been checking out Sleeve Star as well. My initial reaction was WOW, then I thought on it some more and it became BLEH.
Why?
You can so easily accomplish the same effect (EFFECT on the spectators) with a simple retention and then a little sublety. I might make a video and send it to you if you really want it?
In a nutshell; think outside the box, and with a few sleights, you'll get something even more amazing than Sleeve Star.

Cheers.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Hello people!

I'm planning on buying Sleeve Star. What is the difficult level? Do you need to have coin knowledge? Is the price worth the effect? Can it be performed with a shirt? Thanks!

I am going to have to agree with oldavid1 on this one. I looked at the trailer a couple of times and to be honest, for that much money, I don't see it being worth it. The effect isn't one that will absolutely blow their mind and there are many sleights that you could learn that could have more or less the same intended effect.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Is this that new effect on E that is like 140 bucks or more? from the looks of it, it looks like an overpriced top it or "new" sleeving method. The problem with it being 140 bucks is that you can get a DVD set that teaches you to sleeve stuff that should only cost like 50 bucks.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
It seems like you would be paying 140 to add the detail of 'the right hand never goes near the left hand'. Beyond that, yeah, save your money and work on your retention vanish. Downplay the moment the coin is in your right and they'll probably forget or embellish the effect to their friends later anyway.

Sep 14, 2010
My only guess (and that is all that this is) is that the rather extreme price for this effect is to offset the cost of the gimmick.

I don't own this, nor do I plan on getting it (sleaving isn't my thing) but after reading the product description on both E and Penguin it heavily aludes to the fact that there is a gimmick of some sort. I would venture even further to guess that it is somehow self working as well. From watching the trailer I am fairly certain I can pick out the moment any sleight of hand is being employed and then whatever the gimmick is does the rest of the effect for you.

Still, $140 is a bit more than I am prepared to spend on anything right now, but that is a personal preference.

You could do it this way also... not sure if this is `revealing`anything.

Do a retention vanish so the palm is from your left hand to your right hand. Have a raven on your body somewhere and then place the coin on your raven. Show both hands empty, then steal it from your raven again and then show it in your other hand... or something like that.

A raven can be realllyyy helpful.

Jan 16, 2008
You could do it this way also... not sure if this is `revealing`anything.

Do a retention vanish so the palm is from your left hand to your right hand. Have a raven on your body somewhere and then place the coin on your raven. Show both hands empty, then steal it from your raven again and then show it in your other hand... or something like that.

A raven can be realllyyy helpful.

No offense, but if you really learn your sleights (and the most BASIC) sleights, you can accomplish virtually the same thing (showing BOTH hands empty) with pure sleight of hand. Try to think "no gimmicks" rather than "which gimmicks".

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Check out Jay Sankey's Slow Motion Coins (I believe that is what it is called). It is 3 coins to pocket. The spec sees all 3 coins undoubtedly go into the left hand, and then they hold onto your left wrist. One by one the coins jump to your pocket, and at the end, your left hand is shown empty. No extra coins either. The coins that end in your pocket are in fact the same coins you put in your hand at the beginning

Sep 1, 2007
From a coin worker perspective, I sleeve all the time. There are a few things I'd want answered about this.

1) does it interfere with my normal sleeving?
2) does it get a coin from one sleeve to another, or is it coming out somewhere else (don't expose it, I just want to know what it does, not how it works)
3) Does it have a reset?

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
This will find more use for actual workers and performers.

High price is more of an investment and I think it'd be worth it if you were to use it a lot such as table hopping or busking.

I don't think this was marketed towards hobbyists.
That's the way I feel about TKO as well.

It's an investment in the end.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Modern Coin Magic

Pickup the Modern Coin Magic paperback if you haven't already. That's definitely worth it.

Furthermore, isn't this just a re-worked version of Miracle Coins to the Pocket by Glenn Harrison?

ID4

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results