The Illusionist

Dec 10, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I just finished watching The Illusionist. It was truly an amazing movie and I recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it to see it asap!

Anyway, there's an effect in the movie that involves these fast slight of hand motions with a ball. At one point the ball is dropped into one hand and then dropped into the other. At one point the ball slows down as it falls. I tried to find a link to the performance in the movie, but I couldn't find anything. All I found was the same routine done by someone else with the movie in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YY6vfb4Bo

Thats the link. Does anyone know the name of the effect, if it even has one? Or does anyone know how it's done?!

Thanks So Much,

Fuzzmaster20

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm pretty certain they used CGI in the film though there is a technique. I'll put it this way, it's a traditional physics lesson in elementary school science that can be done with IT after a bit of practice; the ball can slow-down and actually be made to "fall up" from the bottom hand to the top. Understand though, this means LOTS of practice and patience on your part.

Dec 10, 2010
ok... that was pretty helpful! Can you tell me the name of the principal in physics that this method applies to?

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2010
IT is a magician's gimmick. IT stands for something, but I'll refrain from giving the actual name due to exposure. Plus, a little research never hurt anyone ;).

Eh. I don't feel like two letters should be kept secret, it's a common abbreviation. But...

Fuzz, in case you haven't found the answer, it stands for invisible thread.

Keo

Mar 10, 2011
Texas San Antonio
Yerp Invisible thread, the abbreviation coined to identify the missing threads that disappear on the green giant, magic forum. What IT has to do with a floating ball has me beat.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
IT is a magician's gimmick. IT stands for something, but I'll refrain from giving the actual name due to exposure. Plus, a little research never hurt anyone ;).

I'm sorry, I think the whole IT and TT thing is pure BS when it comes to fear of "exposure". I use those terms as shorthand for INVISIBLE THREAD and THUMB TIP. Hate to break it to you all, but the public is quite aware of both, ask any bartender with more than 5 years experience, most not only know the TT they use it for bar bets alongside several other very common hustles tied directly to magic. The kicker is, they never learn it from a book or video but rather, observation of poorly practiced and aware eager to show-off magicians; this is the biggest source for magic method exposure there is and yet, it's the one area that is rarely cracked down on.

I find such things both, mind-boggling and disgusting.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Craig is actually right fellas. Many...many...laymen know of both and some have even played / messed around with both. Don't you remember Night at the Museum where a thumb tip is exposed as well?

You can purchase invisible thread tricks like the moving worm at any festival, flea market, etc.

Keo

Mar 10, 2011
Texas San Antonio
Just add to the conversation. I devised a method when this movie first appeared. I thought it was a subtle awesome trick, slowing down time or the ball. I've had great success using the "Fearson" hook up. Steve Fearson's Master Levitation I think is the new re-packaged deal now? I remember learning the hook up from one of his older videos, Area 51 Not sure if it is still around or available to purchase. It was basically a floating, twirling, glowing object that floated through finger rings, Around the body and eventually floats out the door and up into the sky.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Just add to the conversation. I devised a method when this movie first appeared. I thought it was a subtle awesome trick, slowing down time or the ball. I've had great success using the "Fearson" hook up. Steve Fearson's Master Levitation I think is the new re-packaged deal now? I remember learning the hook up from one of his older videos, Area 51 Not sure if it is still around or available to purchase. It was basically a floating, twirling, glowing object that floated through finger rings, Around the body and eventually floats out the door and up into the sky.

I'd forgotten all about that and Steve had mentioned something about it shortly after the film hit. . .(I so miss my mind) Steve's piece should be part of any 101 class on thread & levitation work.

Keo

Mar 10, 2011
Texas San Antonio
I'd forgotten all about that and Steve had mentioned something about it shortly after the film hit. . .(I so miss my mind) Steve's piece should be part of any 101 class on thread & levitation work.

I agree I find it to be the most versatile hookup with Invisible thread. There is a hook up taught on a Michael Ammar DVD I use occasionally but it uses elastic thread. Seeing as it is a horizontal hookup it might be able to work much like a floating dollar bill, using the elasticity to slow down the descent for you, ie you don't manually slow it down like in the Fearson Hook up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results