How do you get a job at theory11?

Sep 30, 2011
Tampa,Florida
Hey Guys,
I was listening to an old podcast in which dan white was interviewing jonathan bayme and jb said he used to work for ellusionist as tech support and what not, now what i want to know is how do I get a job at theory11 i have some great ideas i would love to share but im only 12 and am in the 7th grade. I hear jb was in 7th grade when he started working for ellusionist now i really hope jb replys to this with an answer becuase i would give anything to work for theory11,seriously anything and i hope you guys dont put me down becuase of my age i have been doing magic for about 5 years now and really want things to satrt getting serious for me so if anyone knows please let me know
Thanks!

Well if there is a job opening I'm sure they'd post something about it, and you would either have to apply with resume or audition, or interview of some sorts, and then they'd get back to you if they feel you're the right fit.

From what I've seen from normal people who get promoted to moderator, and from there to official theory11 crew it seems to be one of those they'll contact you if they think you have something to offer the site.

It's great that you want to get going in magic, and the better news is you have lots of time on your hands! Keep striving to develop yourself, and your skills. Meet as many people as you can and always strive to do your best. Eventually I'm sure things will work out.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Y.EJAZ,

I was in your position 1 year ago, except I was a freshman in high school and I was 15. I was a casual forum user like you.

I always posted in the forums every chance I could if I had any information that could help someone. I posted in a helpful way and kept a positive attitude in every post I wrote. I felt confident that every post I wrote would help at least one person, and that was good enough for me. I felt that it was my duty as a forum member to help one another in a respectful manner. Because I followed this attitude from a day to day basis, I got a PM from JB asking to be a moderator for theory11. Of course to a 15 year old, this was huge. I couldn't believe it; it was like a Christmas before Christmas day. Best feeling in the world.

After keeping up a good effort and continuing a good work ethic I got asked a few months later to join the theory11 crew. This was when my entire life changed before me. The biggest event ever to happen in my entire life. A company that I followed for years in my journey in magic is now allowing me to join their team. Unreal. But it did happen.

It can happen to you. Not saying that it will, but keep up a positive attitude, help others in a positive manner, and keep your chin up. There will always be good things waiting for you around the corner.

Reactions: Chris621
Sep 30, 2011
Tampa,Florida
Y.EJAZ,

I was in your position 1 year ago, except I was a freshman in high school and I was 15. I was a casual forum user like you.

I always posted in the forums every chance I could if I had any information that could help someone. I posted in a helpful way and kept a positive attitude in every post I wrote. I felt confident that every post I wrote would help at least one person, and that was good enough for me. I felt that it was my duty as a forum member to help one another in a respectful manner. Because I followed this attitude from a day to day basis, I got a PM from JB asking to be a moderator for theory11. Of course to a 15 year old, this was huge. I couldn't believe it; it was like a Christmas before Christmas day. Best feeling in the world.

After keeping up a good effort and continuing a good work ethic I got asked a few months later to join the theory11 crew. This was when my entire life changed before me. The biggest event ever to happen in my entire life. A company that I followed for years in my journey in magic is now allowing me to join their team. Unreal. But it did happen.

It can happen to you. Not saying that it will, but keep up a positive attitude, help others in a positive manner, and keep your chin up. There will always be good things waiting for you around the corner.
thanks man!!!!! does theory11 pay you for everything you do?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I can't speak for Theory 11, but I will say it is difficult for someone your age to get noticed in any magical context. Difficult is not impossible.

What you have to do is act like an adult. This means a couple of things.

First, focus on your posts. What your write and HOW you write matters. People's impression of you are based on your posts.

• ~ Use capital letters when required - "I" instead of "i"; "Dan White"; "Jonathan Bayme"; "Ellusionist"; "Theory 11", etc.
  • ~ Check your spelling and use punctuation.
  • ~ Don't write in run-on sentences that seem to string together multiple thoughts which are unrelated and make your reader feel like they are being overwhelmed with information that you haven't taken the time to break down into manageable thoughts and gives your readers the impression that you don't understand the rules of grammar and makes them want to stop reading your post because it keeps going on and on and... well you get the idea.
  • ~ Proofread your posts.
  • ~ Be courteous, helpful and intelligent. Don't post for the sake of making a post. Only post if you have something important to say. Quality, not quantity.
  • ~ Compare your post to Casey's post in this thread. There is a clear difference. It is obvious from your post that that you are young. If you didn't know, Casey's post could have been written by a 30 year old.

The second thing is to focus on what is important. Getting a job at T11 isn't the most important thing. Your magic is. Focus on learning and performing your magic. Develop your chops. You don't get things in life by merely wanting them. One of my favorite quotes is from Richard Bach's Illusions:

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it however."

Think about what companies about T11 are looking for - someone who is polished and professional. Someone who has a strong understanding of magic both in theory and in performance. Those attributes are what make a good magician. Focus on that and you will succeed in magic whether it be at T11 or elsewhere.

If I sound like a parent -- it is because I am one. I wish you the best of luck.

Sep 30, 2011
Tampa,Florida
I can't speak for Theory 11, but I will say it is difficult for someone your age to get noticed in any magical context. Difficult is not impossible.

What you have to do is act like an adult. This means a couple of things.

First, focus on your posts. What your write and HOW you write matters. People's impression of you are based on your posts.

• ~ Use capital letters when required - "I" instead of "i"; "Dan White"; "Jonathan Bayme"; "Ellusionist"; "Theory 11", etc.
  • ~ Check your spelling and use punctuation.
  • ~ Don't write in run-on sentences that seem to string together multiple thoughts which are unrelated and make your reader feel like they are being overwhelmed with information that you haven't taken the time to break down into manageable thoughts and gives your readers the impression that you don't understand the rules of grammar and makes them want to stop reading your post because it keeps going on and on and... well you get the idea.
  • ~ Proofread your posts.
  • ~ Be courteous, helpful and intelligent. Don't post for the sake of making a post. Only post if you have something important to say. Quality, not quantity.
  • ~ Compare your post to Casey's post in this thread. There is a clear difference. It is obvious from your post that that you are young. If you didn't know, Casey's post could have been written by a 30 year old.

The second thing is to focus on what is important. Getting a job at T11 isn't the most important thing. Your magic is. Focus on learning and performing your magic. Develop your chops. You don't get things in life by merely wanting them. One of my favorite quotes is from Richard Bach's Illusions:

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it however."

Think about what companies about T11 are looking for - someone who is polished and professional. Someone who has a strong understanding of magic both in theory and in performance. Those attributes are what make a good magician. Focus on that and you will succeed in magic whether it be at T11 or elsewhere.

If I sound like a parent -- it is because I am one. I wish you the best of luck.
No problem thanks, you would make a great teacher!

@ RealityOne - there is a downside i noticed in your post. Although yes professional language and such is important we have to keep in mind here that acting like an adult at a tender age might not be the best of choices for a youngster we see here. One thing is being an adult and the other is acting like one. Although magic does teach you fairly quickly that you have to take on a new and sometimes different approach to your life, thoughts and/or prospects. Everything should come in due time. However i do agree with you on the points you brought out including the fact that working at Theory11 might look like the chance of the lifetime then in actuality it is only one of many, you just have to make decisions based on where you want to head.

M.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@ RealityOne - there is a downside i noticed in your post. Although yes professional language and such is important we have to keep in mind here that acting like an adult at a tender age might not be the best of choices for a youngster we see here. One thing is being an adult and the other is acting like one. Although magic does teach you fairly quickly that you have to take on a new and sometimes different approach to your life, thoughts and/or prospects. Everything should come in due time.

I think saying "act like an adult" was a bad choice of words on my part. I should have said "act in a professional manner." I know 15 year old magicians who are more professional than many adults.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Strive to nurture and develop the positive things that set you apart from other people, while maintaining a humble attitude in the process.

Search for your flaws and work in a positive manner to improve on those areas (grammar and spelling were pointed out previously).

Never assume handouts will be given lightly. Always prepare yourself to face a hard, uphill, and arduous journey to achieve what you are after, and again, while maintaining a positive and humble attitude.

Give more than you expect to receive. Better yet, give what you can while not expecting to receive anything in return.

Believe in yourself, but do not use that as an excuse to overlook flaws, or to create a misguided belief that your are superior to others. Always look for ways to better yourself.

Have fun in the meantime too! You are young, you have decades to be an adult later on in life.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright Thanks guys this is some good advive so thanks all!

Y.EJAZ,

Also, don't take this advice just to try and get a job at theory11. Take this advice with you for the rest of your life. When you act professional, good things come out of it. It's an attitude you always want to carry over your shoulder. Keep your head high, and know that you're capable of anything.

May 18, 2008
In response to Casey's last message, I would like to say that I agree wholeheartedly. I have worked in the past (and still do occasionally) for Penguin Magic, and the two biggest part of working for any company (online or otherwise) are professionalism and being helpful. Casey is a premiere example of both, so I would definitely listen to what he has to say.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results