Diagonal Palm Shift or 2nd deal?

Dec 9, 2011
no one is arguing so much as which one is "better". just which one has more applications or viable uses for the threadstarter.
But the thread starter has given nothing for us to suggest on. He gives no idea as to how or what he performs.

Exactly- the reason I haven't given anything about how I perform is because I'm reasonably new so I'm still experimenting and trying new effects/style.

Does which has more immediate applications really cause so much conversation?

-Mirage

Nov 27, 2009
The moves are apples and oranges. I can't compare them because they are so amazingly different. If you ask what's better, the Hermann pass or the Classic pass, then you'll have a very productive discussion. This thread is incredibly entertaining, which is certainly worth something. If you're going to ask a "what's better" question, make sure you ask us to compare things that can be compared, and then give us some context for the question. (I know I'm repeating what's been said a few times before. Sorry.)

I don't use either move very much, but that's because I don't have the confidence to do the DPS, or the chops to do a decent second deal. Personally, I'd use both very often if I were to use them because they are both incredibly useful for magic and gambling demos. In magic you can use the second deal for many things. (I'm avoiding giving examples because they may be considered exposure, although the main one I have in mind is commonly known.) The DPS is a control, and combined with other techniques, it is one of the best controls around for close-up magic. (Closely followed, I believe, by a wisely chosen pass, the over hand shuffle, and a plain old top change.)

Feb 4, 2008
Exactly- the reason I haven't given anything about how I perform is because I'm reasonably new so I'm still experimenting and trying new effects/style.

Does which has more immediate applications really cause so much conversation?

-Mirage
Well, as I said before....Start working on both. Don't get in your head that the way to learn magic is to practice one move exclusively until you master it and then move onto another move. Physiology is working against that strategy. It takes a certain amount of time. Much of that time isn't actually practice time but the stuff that happens in between practice time. I don't really know all the technical details of this but basically, a guy who practices the second deal exclusively might have a workable second in a years time(just an arbitrary time it may take you more or less time). He then feels comfortable with his second and then spends his next year studying the DPS. In two years he has a good DPS and a good 2nd deal. Guy number two practices both at the same time. It takes him a bit longer to learn each. Lets say a year and a half each. So it takes him an extra half a year to learn each skill. OMG!!! Oops...but wait a sec. He was studying both simultaneously. So he has a workable second and a workable DPS six months quicker than the guy who devoted all his practice to one move.

So the point is, not only are the two impossible to fairly compare, it is really just a waste of time trying to do so in the first place. If you are interested in both practice both!

Dec 9, 2011
Well, as I said before....Start working on both. Don't get in your head that the way to learn magic is to practice one move exclusively until you master it and then move onto another move. Physiology is working against that strategy. It takes a certain amount of time. Much of that time isn't actually practice time but the stuff that happens in between practice time. I don't really know all the technical details of this but basically, a guy who practices the second deal exclusively might have a workable second in a years time(just an arbitrary time it may take you more or less time). He then feels comfortable with his second and then spends his next year studying the DPS. In two years he has a good DPS and a good 2nd deal. Guy number two practices both at the same time. It takes him a bit longer to learn each. Lets say a year and a half each. So it takes him an extra half a year to learn each skill. OMG!!! Oops...but wait a sec. He was studying both simultaneously. So he has a workable second and a workable DPS six months quicker than the guy who devoted all his practice to one move.

So the point is, not only are the two impossible to fairly compare, it is really just a waste of time trying to do so in the first place. If you are interested in both practice both!

You win, thread might as well be closed because that's as close as I'm going to get as a straightforward answer.

Both it is, thanks everyone for posting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results