The Pass technique

Aug 25, 2012
When performing the classic pass a pass that I have been practicing for around a year now, I seem to have a noisy pass and when I get more clearance on the cards to eliminate the sound of cards scratching together it seems to slow down my pass it's still a somewhat speedy pass but I want to better my pass. I have a very nice herman pass I don't want to say perfect but it flows and I want the same effect of that I have with the herman with my original any tips? I know practice, practice, practice but any technical tips.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The Pass isn't supposed to silent, it's supposed to be invisible and besides who does sleights during completely silent moments?

Keep working on it and take your time with it. It's a move that is going to be a LONG road if you are trying to learn it on your own.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Lighten your grip. Without actually seeing yours its hard to give advice.. but one of the most common mistakes is too tight a grip. Also, and this might be too much for me to put into to text, but there is a neat trick that really silenced my pass. Simply try and make as much of the action of the pass as possible go into the upward movement of the right (deck in left hand) index and thumb, while allowing the left hand fingers to be as limp and light as possible. Another idea that i've read of, though had a hard time with it myself, was attempting to leave your fingers of both hands entirely stationary, whilst only moving your wrists to make the pass. This is supposed to improve your speed however, not so much your noise.

Dec 20, 2012
The pass is supposed to be silent.
Here is what I do to make mine noiseless:

As you're about to perform the pass, rock your hands upwards (very subtly, around 10 degrees).

As you perform it, rock them back to their original position, while simultaneously pulling the original bottom packet upwards with your right fingers (again subtly, you don't want your fingers to flex too much ) and rotating it to the right as it clears the original bottom packet.

Perhaps finish with a riffle.

I realise this written explanation may be confusing. Here's an exaggerated video of what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvZnjoLSGM&feature=youtu.be

I hope you find this helpful, good luck!

Dec 29, 2011
The Pass isn't supposed to silent, it's supposed to be invisible and besides who does sleights during completely silent moments?

The pass is supposed to be silent.

Its supposed to be whatever you want it to be. I'm sure one of the many pass instructionals out there will help, however its mainly up to you to decide what you want your pass to be, and how you will change it to get there.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Its supposed to be whatever you want it to be. I'm sure one of the many pass instructionals out there will help, however its mainly up to you to decide what you want your pass to be, and how you will change it to get there.

True - but in most (if not all) applications a silent pass will do you more good than a noisy one.

Best,
Vince

Mar 2, 2013
a famous magician once told me not to use the Pass unless it was the only technique available that could give you the result you are looking for.

when i am doing poker or blackjack cheating presentations a noisy pass helps me push the point of "it seems like nothing is happening, but you are being deceived"

i also agree with Randy, even though i am trying to make it noisy on porpuse, i normally perform in situations where common noise and my own voice, cover most of the noise that the pass (and most of my slights) make.

thanks,

Domingo

Dec 29, 2011
True - but in most (if not all) applications a silent pass will do you more good than a noisy one.

Best,
Vince

Sure a silent pass may or may not be more deceptive, but thats not really my point, the point made above that it is definitely not meant to be silent, I very much disagree with that.

Dec 20, 2012
Surely a sleight where you secretly transpose two halves of the deck is supposed to be silent? Even under a covering action such as a jiggle or riffle, or best of all misdirection, an obnoxious scraping noise as the cards transpose is hard to justify, be it in magic or worse at the card table.
Of course I'd strive for smooth execution first, as a death grip and unnatural, jerky motion some have when performing a silent pass defeats the point.
On a side note, the covering actions themselves can be and mostly are noisy, I'm especially thinking of a riffle. However, I maintain that the pass action itself should be silent.

Dec 29, 2011
as a death grip and unnatural, jerky motion some have when performing a silent pass defeats the point.

Yes! You are one of very few who seems to agree that no matter how little you actually see the cards move, most 'good' passess still just look like passess. And yes, I also agree, silent is definitely important, but the point I was trying to make is that it should be something you develop and conceive yourself.

Nov 29, 2008
I'm confused at your point Wyatt. If you are doing a classic pass, you aren't conceiving a new pass, right? You are doing a classic pass, and although noise can be covered, doesn't justify its existence. The pass is supposed to be silent because it's a secret action. Many of the actions that cover it, the jiggle, riffle, spread and so forth are not meant to cover the noise but the motions of the pass, they are meant to justify the actions. Understandably, that doesn't mean your pass has to be 100% silent, but it's something you should definitely be striving for. And i think magicianlist is also right, in most cases you shouldn't be using the pass for every single card control or every routine, it's practicality is not as widespread as it was once thought.

As for the original poster, you have to give the packets a bit more space to clear than you might think. Try extending your pinky more with the top packet when performing the move, this will help with the bottom packet scraping against the face of the top one, and should help the side of the original top from scraping against the face of the original bottom. Hope that helps.

Dec 29, 2011
I'm confused at your point Wyatt. If you are doing a classic pass, you aren't conceiving a new pass, right? You are doing a classic pass, and although noise can be covered, doesn't justify its existence.

Haha, I didn't mean anything about a new kind of pass, just that what you think your pass should look like and be like is something you should develop yourself, which should make it much easier to actually get there because you will be coming up with your own solutions. As opposed to watching a download and seeing someone tell you, "Look, this is how a pass is done and you should copy me exactly".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results