Magnolene by Telmo Trenado

Sep 1, 2007
P.S - Did theory11 not provide a reason for the rejection in the reviewers notes?

The generally don't, which is a standard practice in the publishing industry. Publishers are not in the business of taking their time to educate contributors.

Aug 17, 2012
The generally don't, which is a standard practice in the publishing industry. Publishers are not in the business of taking their time to educate contributors.

Fair point - Although can they not just simply say that it isn't original?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2013
Honestly, the method is extremely noticeable in the trailer, therefore - spectators will notice it as well.
I don't really know a lot about ACAAN effects, as I don't perform them regularly, but in your performance you need to give a reason as to why you didn't just count out how many cards they said, you give them 10, then 2. Even a false action of the cards slipping in your hand would give enough excuse as to doing to move.

Also, the method wouldn't work if they named a large number, as they will be able to see that you are just giving them the tenth card.

I have performed this effect and other things with a similar method and am yet to be pulled up on it, but I understand your point especially as I'm performing to magicians on The Wire

Mar 3, 2013
P.S - Did theory11 not provide a reason for the rejection in the reviewers notes?

They didn't. This is a quote from the e-mail:
"REVIEWER'S NOTE :: While I don't believe this particular submission to be a good fit for The Wire, we're very thankful for your submission and excited to see more of your work in the future."

Mar 3, 2013
Depends how you perform the effect really, as I said before - an excuse is a good reason to perform the 'secret'.

After talking to people this effect isn't original, but I'll certainly bear that in mind when it comes to creating in the future. Thanks.

Aug 17, 2012
After talking to people this effect isn't original, but I'll certainly bear that in mind when it comes to creating in the future. Thanks.

Even if you continue performing the effect, bear it in mind. Little things like that make a trick even more powerful - when people stop wondering what you are doing with your hands and enjoy the trick, that's when the magic occurs.

Good luck with other creations.

Sep 1, 2007

Be creative for the sake of creating. Remember that learning a skill follows 5 steps in this exact order:

1. Imitation
2. Comprehension
3. Evaluation
4. Invention
5. Innovation

No one, not a living soul ever starts at 5 and works backward, or takes it in the order of 4, 1, 5, 3, 2 or whatever. I've been at this professionally for 6 years and I have not reached level 5 yet. It's a long journey.

Mar 3, 2013
Be creative for the sake of creating. Remember that learning a skill follows 5 steps in this exact order:

1. Imitation
2. Comprehension
3. Evaluation
4. Invention
5. Innovation

No one, not a living soul ever starts at 5 and works backward, or takes it in the order of 4, 1, 5, 3, 2 or whatever. I've been at this professionally for 6 years and I have not reached level 5 yet. It's a long journey.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate this feedback and it will really help to strive to be better.
Thanks again.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Do yourselves all a favor and go read Mastery by Robert Greene. Now. I just bought my second copy. One for the Kindle and now one hard copy. You will thank me later. Steerpike's post reminded me.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Do yourselves all a favor and go read Mastery by Robert Greene. Now. I just bought my second copy. One for the Kindle and now one hard copy. You will thank me later. Steerpike's post reminded me.

Great book. Couldn't agree more. Robert breaks everything down into six steps rather than five. He also analyzes the lives of a number of historical figures to try and identify what makes them better than the rest. Very thought provoking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results