How to create a stage name

Aug 16, 2011
I was just wondering how people come up with stage names and wanted some tips/advice on naming conventions and what you should avoid, etc.

My last name is hard to pronounce and I can barely pronounce it correctly myself. If I do get better at my craft and get good enough to perform at paid gigs, I would like to come up with a cool stage name. For instance, one of the coolest stage names I have seen is Justin Kredible, it's catchy and it's hard to forget. How many of you out there use a stage name and how did you come up with it?

Aug 31, 2007
Go with something you like, and something that fits you. Justin used 'Kredible' as his last name back when he was doing a lot more generalized magic, specifically for kids as well. Since a few years ago, he ditched Kredible and changed to Willman - something a little more professional and less.. flamboyant. His shows now are way more geared towards adult audiences, he also does Cupcake Wars and I'm sure as a host wanted a last name that fit nicely.

So go with what fits you. My last name isn't even Mueller. Who knows who I really am ;)

Sep 1, 2007
My stage name is an arcane movie reference. My real name is actually the only Slavic name that's spelled the way it sounds. I just picked Alexander Vornoff because it sounds like what you would expect from someone with my persona.

Stage names come from lots of different places. Nicholas Cage picked his out of a comic book. Alex Lifeson's stage name is just a literal translation of his real surname from the original Ukrainian. Alice Cooper got his name from a Ouija board.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
My last name isn't even Mueller. Who knows who I really am ;)
*cough* Creahan *cough*

My stage name is The Navas. It sounds like the "Novice", which I thought was funny. And it's a reference to my last name, Varnavas. Navas. So it can really be anything you want, as long as you like it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I used an Irish name that didn't seem to common as a first name, as well as another name I go by translated to Irish for the last name. Seriously considering changing it to be my biological last name, since it translates to Warlock and that's just cool.

Find something that suits you and don't be afraid to adjust and fiddle.

Jan 22, 2012
My last name is hard to pronounce and I can barely pronounce it correctly myself.
What type of magic are you into to? What's your audience? Like Zach Mueller said your stage name depends on all of those factors. For me I'm just sticking with my regular name "Arman Sangalang" mostly because it just fits who I am and it's a name that you can't really forget.

Aug 16, 2011
What type of magic are you into to? What's your audience? Like Zach Mueller said your stage name depends on all of those factors. For me I'm just sticking with my regular name "Arman Sangalang" mostly because it just fits who I am and it's a name that you can't really forget.

I'm into close up magic; cards, coins, cups & balls, rings, sponges, etc. I doubt I will ever do anything on a stage.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
My stage name is really super cool, it's CRAIG BROWNING. . .

I've had a couple of "Character" names that I've gone by and the name I used when doing illusions which I will not disclose. The thing is, most "stage names" are silly and a pain in the butt to grow out of. You may decide to shift out from Bizarre Magick, for an example and want to do a tradition Lance Burton type show some day and referring to yourself as Eliaphus Levi or some such wouldn't be overly wise in that it's improper packaging.

Now I do have a bizarre magick character named Phineas VanBirch, a name that was actually given to me by a former employer bearing the same last name. He's part hustler, world traveler, mad scientist and pack rat . . . a Steampunk persona that's bigger than life and fits one side of my natural demeanor (ask anyone that actually knows me, I laugh a lot!) but as I said, he is a Character that I play as an actor. He is my excuse and method by which to separate the "Psychic" element around me from the showman in the public mind, so he has a specific purpose.

These are the things you need to think on as you may wish to also look at the numerology element (many people do when it comes to changing their names, naming a company or product or child, etc.) If you're not familiar get my FREE PDF on Cold Reading

Aug 31, 2007
*cough* Creahan *cough*

My stage name is The Navas. It sounds like the "Novice", which I thought was funny. And it's a reference to my last name, Varnavas. Navas. So it can really be anything you want, as long as you like it.

Nope :) Not quite.

Aug 16, 2011
My stage name is really super cool, it's CRAIG BROWNING. . .

I've had a couple of "Character" names that I've gone by and the name I used when doing illusions which I will not disclose. The thing is, most "stage names" are silly and a pain in the butt to grow out of. You may decide to shift out from Bizarre Magick, for an example and want to do a tradition Lance Burton type show some day and referring to yourself as Eliaphus Levi or some such wouldn't be overly wise in that it's improper packaging.

Now I do have a bizarre magick character named Phineas VanBirch, a name that was actually given to me by a former employer bearing the same last name. He's part hustler, world traveler, mad scientist and pack rat . . . a Steampunk persona that's bigger than life and fits one side of my natural demeanor (ask anyone that actually knows me, I laugh a lot!) but as I said, he is a Character that I play as an actor. He is my excuse and method by which to separate the "Psychic" element around me from the showman in the public mind, so he has a specific purpose.

These are the things you need to think on as you may wish to also look at the numerology element (many people do when it comes to changing their names, naming a company or product or child, etc.) If you're not familiar get my FREE PDF on Cold Reading

Thanks Craig! I'll definitely read the PDF. Just for clarification, when I say 'Stage Name' I don't mean something crazy or out of the ordinary, I just want to use my first name and have a normal sounding or rememberable last name. My first name is Nicholas(Nick) so I was thinking something easy to remember like 'Nick Knight' or just something catchy/easy to remember. I'd rather not use/steal a last name from another magician if at all possible as I would like to be original and also remembered. I'd also like to avoid anything ending in 'ini' haha.

Apr 17, 2013
I took the last name of my stagename, Majere, from a book. The last name is also of a wizard but I have always loved the name. and it flowed well with Matthew.

Aug 16, 2011
I took the last name of my stagename, Majere, from a book. The last name is also of a wizard but I have always loved the name. and it flowed well with Matthew.

That does flow well and sounds french/exotic. I was asking one of my buddies their opinion and he said I should use 'Nick Nickelbush' haha I started cracking up. I'm sure I'll find something that I like eventually... Nick Aragua or Nick O'tine possibly? I'm very indecisive at times, so when I come up with a few different serious ideas for names I'll throw up a vote or something.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
My stage name is Luis Vega..short...sweet and it has proven that people actually remembers it...

btw... my name is Luis Fabian Vega Mendoza... so it´s basically my name just a little bit shorter

as an advice I wouldn´t use things like

-the amazing ...
-the magical...
- the incredible...

they sound ridiculous to my point of view..

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
My stage name is Luis Vega..short...sweet and it has proven that people actually remembers it...

btw... my name is Luis Fabian Vega Mendoza... so it´s basically my name just a little bit shorter

-the amazing ...
-the magical...
- the incredible...

Hell Luis, just go by Fabian and charm the ladies, it's worked well for others ;-)

Aug 31, 2007

-the amazing ...
-the magical...
- the incredible...

What are you talking about? The Incredible Burt Wonderstone did great at the box offi- oh wait.

And hey, The Amazing Spider-Man was an awesome reboo- oh wait.

Don't.

Haha kidding... kind of. I wanted to change my last name into a cool stage name when I was younger, because "Anderson" is so common. I decided not to go with a stage name, because my on stage "character" is just an extension of who I am in real life. If I was playing the part of a long haired, jewelry-laden, bedazzled-jeaned, sunglass-wearing rockstar, I'd probably change my name to something edgy, like... Robb... Andersinn... HOLY ISH!! I JUST CAME UP WITH A STAGE NAME!

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Are you kidding? You get to be "Mr. Anderson" AKA. Neo from the Matrix. That's perfect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results