Saturday Night Contest: Card Throwing

Christen

theory11
Team member
Oct 25, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey everyone!

In our latest episode of Expose, Andrei teased at an upcoming project that revolves around Card Throwing. We're super excited to be working on it and we thought it would be fun to give you all a challenge!

The challenge for this week is simple: you have 60 seconds to throw and successfully land the most cards into a hat or bin - at a distance of at least 8 feet. Are you up to the challenge?

You have 24 hours to film your entry. Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo, and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 7:30pm EST, tomorrow, Sunday, July 14th! After time is up, we will go through all submissions and decide on a winner.

Remember, we are looking for the number of cards you land. Accuracy plays the most important role in this challenge. So make sure you practice before you start filming to increase your chances of winning! One card at a time only, please!

What will the winner take home? 1,000 Elite Member Points, a Monarch Spade Emblem Shirt, Shredder by Spidey, and the prestigious title of theory11 Summer 2013 Card Throwing Champion!

There's a lot up for grabs this week so start practicing and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Good luck, everyone! Focus on accuracy and take home the prize. Remember that entry videos can be a maximum of 60 seconds.

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I'm excited

I've been practicing card throwing recently, so I'm really excited about this challenge. However would I be more likely to win if I stood a farther distance away and had a smaller hat, or should I just stand the required 8 feet with a larger bin?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
However would I be more likely to win if I stood a farther distance away and had a smaller hat, or should I just stand the required 8 feet with a larger bin?

Generally, you want to display your accuracy consistently. Try to make an impressive shot multiple times, just to prove it wasn't a fluke. I won the last one, I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do for this one. Good luck to you! :)

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I take it you can't just bundle a bunch of cards together and toss it like a rock into a bin? :)

I was thinking the same thing, I could throw quite a lot of decks in their case to a bin in a minute... :p
But since I guess card throwing must be understood as shooting cards one at a time, I won't be entering this contest. I'm terrible at that!

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
*reads what you have to do to enter the contest* *tries to throw a card and hits you in the face* Next Saturday Night Contest will be the one!!! ( ._.)

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
Well dammit, i swear theres just gonna be like 4 people who completly dominate and the rest of us are just gonna be screwing around like clueless twits :D good luck everyone

Apr 2, 2011
I really dislike this types of contests because they cause conflict among us magicians. The last time one of these was held many people complained. As the instructions for such contests are not crystal clear, things start to be controversial. From the eyes of some of us throwing the cards into my bathtub (ridiculous LOL) could be considered as a bin. Also, since what a "throw" is was not defined properly this can and most probably will cause some issues. "you have 60 seconds to throw and successfully land the most cards into a hat or bin". I guess the lack of detail will just lead to some hilarious entries. Cant way to see them and get a little laugh. Good luck to everyone, and let the games begin...

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I really dislike this types of contests because they cause conflict among us magicians. The last time one of these was held many people complained. As the instructions for such contests are not crystal clear, things start to be controversial. From the eyes of some of us throwing the cards into my bathtub (ridiculous LOL) could be considered as a bin. Also, since what a "throw" is was not defined properly this can and most probably will cause some issues. "you have 60 seconds to throw and successfully land the most cards into a hat or bin". I guess the lack of detail will just lead to some hilarious entries. Cant way to see them and get a little laugh. Good luck to everyone, and let the games begin...

I think the rules were pretty straight forward and direct. Obviously, for a contest like this, a bathtub wouldn't be considered as a bin, simply because it is way too big to prove accuracy. We are doing this contest because it fits a project that we are working on and are excited about. And hey, not everyone will love a contest that we do one week, but there are some who want to do these types of things. We dont limit contest ideas to just magic. We do Cardistry, Guessing contests that everyone can enter, Instagram contests, and more! So we definitely want a good variety to appeal to everybody. In regards to the card throwing mechanic, a card throw is pretty basic, no matter how a person does it. We all throw cards a little bit differently. Nonetheless, really excited to see the entries this week, and in my opinion it is also a fun one because you never know your ability to do the challenge until you attempt it. Back when I was a forum member participating in these SNCs, I didn't think I would be good at card throwing at all, but I entered anyway and I ended up winning the contest! So, you never know what might happen. Just give it a try and you could take home the prize! :)

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Is there any possibility of getting an official dimensions limit?

We can't determine a specific dimensions limit, but try to make it about the size of a mini trash bin that you would find in your room or the size of a normal hat, if you want to get smaller. What you can also do to get an idea of the size is to look at an average clock that hangs on the wall. That's about the right size. But we are looking for accuracy above all so make sure that is the #1 priority when practicing for your entry.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Gotcha :) Sorry to be a bug, but I as I'm practicing another question comes to mind. Do ricochets count? I have a rather small practice space so to maximize distance I'm throwing from one corner of the room to the other, and I find that I'm getting a considerable amount of ricochet.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Gotcha :) Sorry to be a bug, but I as I'm practicing another question comes to mind. Do ricochets count? I have a rather small practice space so to maximize distance I'm throwing from one corner of the room to the other, and I find that I'm getting a considerable amount of ricochet.

Ricochet isn't bad, but it isn't recommended. If you ricochet, make sure it is really close to the item that you are throwing at. If it bounces from over 6 inches it isn't really accurate. But try to reduce the ricochet as much as possible. That's why we are letting you have 24 hours this week so you can practice and make it the best you can :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results