Learning The Muscle Pass

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I have recently started learning the muscle pass and can get the coin to just barely shoot out of my hand. I have practiced for about a week or so. Anyway, i was wondering how long everyone else had to practice before they could do the muscle pass well and how often you practiced. ( I practice several times a day) I am trying to get a good idea of how much practice this will take. Thanks :D

It will take a number of weeks. I learned it over 30 years ago and it took a very long time to get it to jump about 10-12 inches (I was sick at the time and had a LOT or spare time to work on it). Depending on how much you practice, you may even end up with slight bruising at the two pressure points where the coin is pushed and released from in your palm.

What helped me is, when you do get anything even close to it jumping out of your hand, to pay close attention to the amount of pressure and movements of your hand. Try to replicate the small jump. The motion is the same, it just becomes refinement and strength, both will be developed over time with practice. But focus on getting it to just pop the tiniest little bit. Once you can do that reliably, you can start working on getting more height.

Keep trying, it takes a long time but the reactions are well worth the effort.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
It takes months to look good I think. I've never had a spectacular one because I stopped practicing it. But after a couple months, you can make it look pretty good. There are some DVD's out there as well if you are interested. I believe David Kong has one....

It takes months to look good I think. I've never had a spectacular one because I stopped practicing it. But after a couple months, you can make it look pretty good. There are some DVD's out there as well if you are interested. I believe David Kong has one....
I agree, Months if not years to look great and accurate. the David Kong DVD is the best I have seen on the muscle pass, there is also one by Jay Noblezada. not sure if it is as good as the Kong DVD which came highly recommended to me of the two.

Oct 14, 2013
First of all, kudos on your progress! I'm a beginner, and the muscle pass is actually the first magic trick that I've ever learned. I've been practicing it since August of this year ever since I saw Dynamo do it. I really really wanted to get this down, and I was so fascinated and excited after learning it's execution that I practiced and practiced for 7 hours straight that very same day. I ended up getting my half dollar to "float" up 2-3 inches that day, and needless to say, I was jumping off of the walls after that. I've been practicing on and off ever since then, and I found that after I gave my muscle enough rest, it actually helped to get a higher jump than before. I've been getting some good jumps with quarters, and now I can even do it with pennies. I found that after I practiced with smaller coins for a while, the bigger ones that I started out with felt huge, which also added to the height on my jump. Now I can get a whole foot length of distance between hands with a half dollar, and sometimes even 14 inches! :cool:

Mar 30, 2014
Alberta Canada
Just a question for all you muscle passers. Ive recently decided to give it a whirl. Needless to say I've been sitting in the same spot for a couple hours playing around with it. I'm just wondering if any of you recall the coin just doing a quick flip, as opposed to it jumping.
For instance, if my right hand is palm up, the coin just flips to the left and on to the floor. (with a noticeable amount of force I might add.) Is this commonly what would happen to you when first starting to learn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question for all you muscle passers. Ive recently decided to give it a whirl. Needless to say I've been sitting in the same spot for a couple hours playing around with it. I'm just wondering if any of you recall the coin just doing a quick flip, as opposed to it jumping.
For instance, if my right hand is palm up, the coin just flips to the left and on to the floor. (with a noticeable amount of force I might add.) Is this commonly what would happen to you when first starting to learn?
I don't really remember it just flipping out of my hand to the side when I had first started practicing.. Does it just shoot to the left, or does it pick up some air before it goes that direction? 'Cause if you're like me, you're muscle pass will be a diagonal one, instead of one that just shoots straight up. This is due to not being able to muscle pass right out of classic palm, but instead a higher palm where the coin is wedged into the top part of the muscle that controls the thumb (if that makes sense). Anyway, when I just want a straight shot muscle pass, I just lean over a bit. You'd think that this would be awkward when performing, but most of my spectators just see this is me giving them a closer view. Nothing big to worry about. I also think a diagonal muscle pass looks pretty cool when giving my spectators a front-side view of the coin actually "lifting" up and out of my hand.

Do give yourself some time to see how it develops. If it just keeps flipping to the side, then you should probably try training a different area in your palm.

Mar 30, 2014
Alberta Canada
In reply to Zeal

I've been practicing for a about a week now, and it is starting to pop a little more vertically than it had been. My problem was, as you stated, not being able to make the pass while in classic palm. So to remedy this, I have simply been keeping a slightly larger coin palmed during the day so as to train the muscles. I noticed, that as I am(was) someone who cracked my knuckles out of habit, my pinky and ring finger, quite frustratingly, move in tandem.(Im unable to curl or straighten these fingers without the other doing the same) So I have quit cracking them in an attempt to regain some dexterity, and it seems to be working.

In reply to Zeal

I've been practicing for a about a week now, and it is starting to pop a little more vertically than it had been. My problem was, as you stated, not being able to make the pass while in classic palm. So to remedy this, I have simply been keeping a slightly larger coin palmed during the day so as to train the muscles. I noticed, that as I am(was) someone who cracked my knuckles out of habit, my pinky and ring finger, quite frustratingly, move in tandem.(Im unable to curl or straighten these fingers without the other doing the same) So I have quit cracking them in an attempt to regain some dexterity, and it seems to be working.
That's pretty cool. I think I'll try the same for my hands, because I'd crack my knuckles every chance I get. It will probably help to disguise a coin better while in classic palm as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results