BLACKOUT by Nefesch

Mar 31, 2014
Calgary, AB
Good afternoon,

I am just looking for someone or a group of people who would be interested in having doing some collaboration of this technique.

Feel free to PM me.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
This is simply poor mental magic. . . anytime you introduce a piece of technology to the scenario you are no longer seen as the source for said phenomena; you deliver a puzzle based on technology -- an app -- and as such, you ultimately lose the psychological advantages true Mentalists seek to usurp and manipulate.

Oct 11, 2007
No hard feelings, but I see that as an opinion, Mr. Brown. I find this effect as a great way to bridge the gap between magicians and mentalists, and the modern world. You are able to take someone else's device and create a genuine miracle. I would think that they would be able to trust their own device, and trust the voice of one of their closest friends.

As for creating a collaboration community, I completely agree! I am not sure how to go about that, however. And believe that Nefesch should be in charge of something like that if one is created.

emagician

Mr. Browning actually. And to be formally correct it would be Dr. Browning but I think we're splitting hairs at that point.

Disagree all you want, Craig's got a point. The minute you bring in technology into the picture you move from mentalism into mental magic at best and at worst you've got a puzzle.

There is a gap between mentalists and magicians for a reason. Neither side really wants that gap to be bridged. Magicians pretend to be gods. Mentalists are gods. Granted that is illustrating things quite extreme but my point is that a mentalist requires character, and theater skills. The mentalist is a life style while the magician can get away with being human when the stage lights go out.

I really hate electronic magic and especially Iphone app magic because it always feels like a puzzle or a trick of some kind. Technology is very powerful these days and can do a great deal of impossible things. It doesn't feel like magic to me. It just feels like your techno gizmo has a setting on it that I don't know about. The only Iphone magic trick I would endorse is My Pet Boris which is an Iphone update to the classic Web by Jim Pace.

Not to derail this thread any further than what it has been, if you guys want to get together and collaborate then more power too you. I really only chimed in to correct your spelling of Craig's name.

No hard feelings, but I see that as an opinion, Mr. Brown. I find this effect as a great way to bridge the gap between magicians and mentalists, and the modern world. You are able to take someone else's device and create a genuine miracle. I would think that they would be able to trust their own device, and trust the voice of one of their closest friends.

As for creating a collaboration community, I completely agree! I am not sure how to go about that, however. And believe that Nefesch should be in charge of something like that if one is created.

emagician

Sean B.(6)

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Not to derail this thread any further than what it has been, if you guys want to get together and collaborate then more power too you. I really only chimed in to correct your spelling of Craig's name.

Despite your intention, you said quite a lot more.

THIS is why forums got less popular. THIS is why kids learning magic come to places like this to ask questions and then get turned off because of arrogance. I get it guys. I truly do. You believe mentalism has more of a "reality" to it than magic tricks. The problem is, true or not, when you say things like, "Magicians pretend to be gods. Mentalists are gods," you come off as arrogant and elitist. This is MY observation.

The original poster simply asked if anyone who owned this effect would be willing to collaborate. He is asking this because he is excited about the possibilities and has creativity flowing right now.

I'm bummed that two professionals irrelevantly responded to his request by discouraging him, and spinning a positive motivation into a negative discouragement.

You guys are welcome to have opinions, and I'm not insulting you, or even disagreeing with your words. I'm simply pointing out my observation of the way your opinions came across. Perhaps, instead of posting stuff like this, you might consider just writing a book.

A. Luu, good luck on the collaboration. I would join in but I think I've found something special with this I'd like to keep under wraps until I try it out. Lots of possibilities with this one. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results