Saturday Night Contest - Shadow Art

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope you all are having an excellent start to the weekend! I was skimming through YouTube and found this really cool video that demonstrates shadow art. I've always found it fascinating to be able to manipulate light and turn its shadows into different shapes and structures. You might already know this as shadow puppets, but this video takes it to a completely different level.

The challenge this week uses that video as inspiration. What we want you guys to do is to make your very own shadow art. The concept itself is an illusion; so in other words, it's not magic, but magical. We want to see what you guys can come up with utilizing just the shadows from items you have available. You can form the shape of your initials, the theory11 logo, or something more complicated like you saw in the video above.

Post a video or image of your shadow art to either Instagram, YouTube, or Vimeo, and post the link to it in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 7:30pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, September 20th. Once time is up, our panel will go through all submissions and decide on a winner.

Judging criteria will be as follows: we are looking for the shadow art with the overall best execution, and which shadow art is the most impressive. Be creative - we are hoping this challenge allows you to think more creatively, and see things from a new perspective.

What can you take home? 1,000 Elite Member Points, and 6 Decks of Black Tycoon Playing Cards, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world!

We absolutely cannot wait to see your shadow art creations. Have fun with this one!

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Clarification would be nice.
By shadow art do you mean a shadow formation? Not just something involving shadows (ex: Patrick A's submission).
Also don't we need proof that it's not a single cutout by posting the materials set up?
And I'm guessing no old submissions?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Clarification would be nice.
By shadow art do you mean a shadow formation? Not just something involving shadows (ex: Patrick A's submission).
Also don't we need proof that it's not a single cutout by posting the materials set up?
And I'm guessing no old submissions?

By shadow art, you can take it either way. Using shadows only, or incorporating shadows in your image. Either way is fine. No old posts allowed (as always, every contest since launch has disqualified members for submitting old posts), and proof would be great but if you submit a fake entry (trust us, we will know), the member is permanently disqualified for any future contests.

marcopaso

Elite Member
Jun 15, 2014
In my entry, I thought about adding some "magic" to the "magical".
My goal was to use shadow formation to obtain some cool illusions, I still don't know if I succeeded ;-)

Dec 7, 2013
Saint-Petersburg
Casey, сhallenge is a very interesting, I would be happy to participate in it, but that would create something really beautiful need more time than one day, it takes really long time to create something that is presented in an inspiring video by Sana Anil kumar. I will be happy if you continue this contest for one week, and i'll try to create something beautiful using playing cards.

Dec 31, 2014
Casey, сhallenge is a very interesting, I would be happy to participate in it, but that would create something really beautiful need more time than one day, it takes really long time to create something that is presented in an inspiring video by Sana Anil kumar. I will be happy if you continue this contest for one week, and i'll try to create something beautiful using playing cards.
The idea of the Saturday night contest is to accomplish something during the weekend, and to make it as good a s you can. Sana Anil kumar made amazing shadows, but it doesn't mean you have to do something as amazing as that.

Dec 7, 2013
Saint-Petersburg
The idea of the Saturday night contest is to accomplish something during the weekend, and to make it as good a s you can. Sana Anil kumar made amazing shadows, but it doesn't mean you have to do something as amazing as that.
The problem is what the organizer of the contest want, a week (by the way was the snc that lasted a week), you can make something beautiful, and in 24 hours I certainly can do shadow, but do we need this?

Last edited by a moderator:

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys, we have winner!

Although a challenging contest, we loved each and every entry - definitely a great bit of creativity and outside-the-box thinking in this one. With that said, onto the winner! We felt that this entry did the best job of execution and was definitely impressive in terms of constructing their shadow art. With that said, we would like to congratulate Stu-pendous for taking home the prize! Congrats! Please contact our support team and they will hook you up with your prize.

I'd like to give honorable mentions to every other entry as they were all great and unique. You guys definitely killed it this week; it wasn't an easy task but we are impressed that you guys stepped up to the challenge.

Can't wait to see you guys back later this week for a new contest!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results