Classic effects

Hi All

Just a couple more videos for your perusal! This time, handlings of two classic effects, namely 'Hofzinser's Ace Problem' and Roy Walton's 'Oil and Queens'

Not My Problem

This is pretty vanilla handling of the effect, but the one thing I've added is the use of John Carey's handling of Larry Jenning's 'Larreverse' sleight, so you get a nice visual moment where the Ace appears in the deck. Still not completely satisfied with the handling, so consider this one a work in progress!

Also, apologise for the slight cack-handedness, the deck I was using was a bit old and sticky!

Roy(al) Walton

This is handling of Roy Walton's 'Oil and Queens' from 'The Complete Walton'. Anyone who knows the trick will know you typically start with the colours already alternated, so my main aim was to figure out a way to mix them in front of the audience. In doing so I inadvertently stumbled upon a way to make use of two poker hands to perform the effect, meaning I could present it as a sort of mock cheating demo rather than using the usual oil and water patter. That way, I almost get two kickers rather than just the one. I was quite proud of this so hopefully you like it as much as I do.

Comments, feedback, insults, complaints and adoring fan mail all welcome!

Rev

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen either plot before with my 'rookie-specs'. I had to watch both videos a couple times just to get what was going on.

Very nicely done. Even though you say your 'Not My Problem' is a vanilla handling. You do a very well done vanilla.

I have the book Hofzinsers Card Conjuring by Johann N. Hofzinser , I'm not sure if The Ace Problem*(I just glanced in the back where he lists the problems and it's not there). I also have WGM Oil and Water and in that DVD Michael Ammar does a version of Oil and Queens. Honestly, I like Revs version better because like he said there is a double kicker with the Royal Flush.

*Let me know of a good source preferably by Hofsinzer where I can find The Ace Problem.

A bit of background on the Ace Problem: http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Hofzinser_Ace_Problem

Looks like Hofzinser never actually published it, and the whole thing is a bit of an urban legend.

There is a also a whole list of versions of the plot.

I have another trick on my Youtube channel called 'Cheap Suit' which is based on Max Maven's 'Three Piece Suit' from Harry Lorayne's 'Best of Friends Vol 3.' Whilst not strictly the same effect, it could be considered a 'cousin' to the Hofzinser Ace Problem.

Rev

Nov 10, 2014
I loved them, I loved everything about them, as a huge fan of Twisting The Aces and everything having to do with Elmsley (yes I know he didn't create Twisting The Aces, you know what I mean.) and I thought your Oil and Queens trick had an approach that felt like him. Very well done.

Reactions: Rev
I
I loved them, I loved everything about them, as a huge fan of Twisting The Aces and everything having to do with Elmsley (yes I know he didn't create Twisting The Aces, you know what I mean.) and I thought your Oil and Queens trick had an approach that felt like him. Very well done.

Wow...if being compared to Alex Elmsley isn't a compliment then I don't know what is!! Thanks dude, glad you liked it!

Rev

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Well done on both performances. There's just one thing: in your "Oil and Queens" performance you are consistently showing 4 red cards and 4 black, but then at the end you suddenly have a total of 10 cards. This probably will go unnoticed to most spectators but some of the more observant people in your audience will notice that you suddenly went from 8 to 10 cards. Although, you could argue that this only enhances the effect.

Reactions: Rev
Well done on both performances. There's just one thing: in your "Oil and Queens" performance you are consistently showing 4 red cards and 4 black, but then at the end you suddenly have a total of 10 cards. This probably will go unnoticed to most spectators but some of the more observant people in your audience will notice that you suddenly went from 8 to 10 cards. Although, you could argue that this only enhances the effect.

We have a winner! I wondered how long before someone noticed.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the discrepancy, that's what makes this fun from a method point of view. I could have faffed around trying to figure out how to display five cards the whole way through, but why bother when the Elmsley Count is so perfect to begin with?

And no, not a single lay person has ever noticed. Let me explain why I think that is.

Magicians know methods, so they 'see' an Elmsley Count. They know that is a count of 'four' cards. So when the poker hands appear at the end, the notice the discrepancy.

Lay people are focused on the colours, they simply see 'some' black/red cards.

Being careful what I say is the key here. You'll noticed I never mention the number of cards, as it's really not important. Also, the presentation is all about secretly switching cards, not magically changing the faces of the cards I have. The presentation actively suggests that the cards left at the end are not the ones I started with, therefore I could have easily switched four cards for five.

But like I said, no one notices anyway.

Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to comment!

Rev

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
We have a winner! I wondered how long before someone noticed.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the discrepancy, that's what makes this fun from a method point of view. I could have faffed around trying to figure out how to display five cards the whole way through, but why bother when the Elmsley Count is so perfect to begin with?

And no, not a single lay person has ever noticed. Let me explain why I think that is.

Magicians know methods, so they 'see' an Elmsley Count. They know that is a count of 'four' cards. So when the poker hands appear at the end, the notice the discrepancy.

Lay people are focused on the colours, they simply see 'some' black/red cards.

Being careful what I say is the key here. You'll noticed I never mention the number of cards, as it's really not important. Also, the presentation is all about secretly switching cards, not magically changing the faces of the cards I have. The presentation actively suggests that the cards left at the end are not the ones I started with, therefore I could have easily switched four cards for five.

But like I said, no one notices anyway.

Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to comment!

Rev

Any time. I love interacting with other magicians.

It is true that you don't explicitly say how many cards you are using, and having them focus on the colours rather than the number of cards you are using is great misdirection. Taking this into consideration, I think the trick works brilliantly on lay audiences. I would be aware that some people may see that you are only showing 4 cards (that is the intention of the false count/display), but like I said in my earlier comment this will probably add to the effect in the end rather than hinder it.

Another thing I have to say about this Oil and Queens performance is that I love that you don't present it as an oil and water effect. It never made sense to me that a magician is showing red and black cards, mixing them and unmixing them at will, then ends with all queens. Or like in Harry Loraynes version "The Sting", where he ends up with a royal flush at the end. It never made logical sense to me that you would consistently show the cards separating, and then all of a sudden you have a flush. Your presentation makes sense in that regard because you're not offering to mix or separate.

What do you think?

Great job again, and thanks for the reply.

-Andrew

Reactions: Moniker
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results