Saturday Night Contest - Create A Trick!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope you all are having a great weekend! If you caught this week's episode of Exposé, you would see that Andrei is with Calen Morelli filming a secret project. Calen has one of the most creative minds that I've ever seen over the years, and the magic that he comes up with is truly diabolical. With that in mind, we are using that as inspiration for this week's contest.

We love to see new creations, and it always puts a smile on our face when we see creativity at work. Tonight, we want you to find ANYTHING in the room you are in right now, and create an effect using those objects.

The objects can be literally anything - Paperclips, Pens, USB Drives, Sunglasses, Soda Cans, etc. Get together a couple of objects and put your mind to the test! The more diverse and creative the effect is, the better!

If you are wondering, you can use cards if you have them in your room right now. But remember, we are looking for something outside the box and original, so choose wisely!

Judging criteria is as follows: we are looking for which effect is the most original and creative overall, and we are factoring in performance/execution. Practicality is not a part of the criteria, so it can be an effect that you can perform from only one strict angle. EVERYTHING is fair game, as long as there are no camera cuts/tricks/special editing. Also, one entry per member, so make it count!

Upload the performance of your created effect to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram (make sure it is public so we can see it during judging), and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, April 10th. Once time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the criteria above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points, and 6 Decks of CITIZENS Playing Cards, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
First contest of the year that I'm actually going to have to sit out.

I can make routines with magic tricks that actually look like normal objects that I brought with me. But I am the worlds worst engineer of magic.

So with that, good luck everyone!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jun 29, 2015

I can make routines with magic tricks that actually look like normal objects that I brought with me. But I am the worlds worst engineer of magic.

I hear ya man! I've actually spend all day smoothing out 3 old routines that I came up with. I keep private video blogs of the explanation so I don't forget the gems (and all the garbage, but *cough cough, what?) Haha. But seriously, two of these ideas are good, but the one I really liked was so impractical. All of them are creative, but unfinished. And one of the REALLY good ones used someone else's gimmick, so that's out. Additionally, I only do cards and I don't think they're looking for card tricks.

Who knows, maybe creativity will hit me at the card table tonight.

Jun 29, 2015
Wait! I might have something. But first, a question about the judging. You said you're judging the performance/execution. Does that mean you're judging the personality in the video or how clean the execution is? I ask because I have one take where I flash a move and react in a very funny way. I have another take where there is little to no personality, but the execution is near flawless (by my standards).

So the question remains: are you judging on personality in the performance or the cleanliness of the execution?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com

Looks like im on the same boat as Brett on this one. I am at a loss of ideas. I'm sitting out this one. See you all next Saturday.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Wait! I might have something. But first, a question about the judging. You said you're judging the performance/execution. Does that mean you're judging the personality in the video or how clean the execution is? I ask because I have one take where I flash a move and react in a very funny way. I have another take where there is little to no personality, but the execution is near flawless (by my standards).

So the question remains: are you judging on personality in the performance or the cleanliness of the execution?
Always the cleanliness of the execution. Performance/execution just means that you perform the effect without flashing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results