[Question] New to magic, need help

Apr 8, 2017
Dear All,

I am totally new to magic, I just have a couple questions would like to ask?
- My fingers is not really fast or flexible, is there any lessons or videos help me to train my fingers?
- Which card should i buy to train magic?
Thanks a lot

D

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome! Despite what non-magicians think, magic isn't about having fast fingers. As for flexibility, that just comes with practice. Depending on your budget, I would start out with the following books:

Classic Books (Less Expensive)
Royal Road to Card Magic
Scarne on Card Tricks
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks

Scarne on Card Trick has a lot of effects that do not require sleight of hand and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks has a lot of effects that uses gaffed cards.

Card College Books (More Expensive)
Card College Volumes 1 & 2
Card College Light

Volumes 1 and 2 were designed to be a complete course. Volumes 3, 4 and 5 were added later. Card College Light has effects that do not require sleight of hand. If you like that, then you can get the next two books in the series, Lighter and Lightest.

Card College DVDs
There is a 4 disc set that is sold together can covers Volumes 1 and 2 of the books. If you need to see how the sleights, these are great videos.

As for the cards to use, there is nothing wrong with regular Bicycle "Standard" cards.

Reactions: RickEverhart

FTL_FTK

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2015
Hi mrshy!
The only way to improve your finger's strength, flexibility and speed is to practice. I find that every sleight requires it's own "touch", and the way to develop it is to do it over and over again. Don't give up if something is too hard the first time you try it. Keep working on it and soon you'll see improvements. That being said, I'll second RealityOne in saying that what makes a sleight deceiving isn't the speed with which it's done.
All the resources RealityOne listed are absolutely phenomenal, and I don't really have anything to add, except that if you're really concerned about your fingers' dexterity you could look up finger flourishing or cardistry (Genesis V1 by Andrei Jikh is great for beginners); however, it really isn't something that you need.
I like to keep two decks, one for practice, one for performing. The one I use for practice is a cheap Bicycle or Bee deck, generally Bicycle Standard with Air-Cushion Finish. Know that you'll go through practice decks at a fast rate, so it doesn't make much sense in getting expensive ones for that purpose. Avoid 100% plastic.
I hope this helps. Welcome to the world of magic :).

Feb 1, 2017
I like to keep two decks, one for practice, one for performing. The one I use for practice is a cheap Bicycle or Bee deck, generally Bicycle Standard with Air-Cushion Finish. Know that you'll go through practice decks at a fast rate, so it doesn't make much sense in getting expensive ones for that purpose. Avoid 100% plastic.

If you have a Costco near you, a brick of bicycle standard decks is ~$15. If you cycle through each deck during practice they'll last you forever.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Apr 9, 2017
For magic, you do not need fast fingers. You just need to train your fingers to do something big in a very very subtle way.

Jan 14, 2017
I cannot add anything here regarding resources, those already listed are what I would have offered.
But I want to say welcome to an exciting (and addictive) hobby/profession. The encouragement and interaction you will get here is priceless.
Regarding card magic; be careful of 'binging'. There are so many resources (videos, books, e-books, pamphlets) available (many terrible but some very good) that you can easily fall into the trap of "collecting" card tricks but never quite mastering any of them.
Find just a few, practice them. And practice them. And, did I mention, you can never practice too much. Perform them for friends and family and anyone who will permit it. Get comfortable with the method and moves, the patter and 'story'.

Most of all remember you are trying entertain (it does not matter if you make mistakes as long as you are engaging and interact with your audience) and you must, MUST have fun.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results