"A Night To Shine"

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Last night I had the honor and privilege to entertain guests at a huge event called "A Night To Shine" which is an amazing night of dancing, dinner and fun for teens-adults with disabilities.
It had everything from limos to party buses, photo booth, to catered food to caricature artists and lastly myself performing strolling magic and balloons afterwards.

It was such a rewarding and unforgettable experience. I just wanted to share with you guys.
ORG_DSC01608.JPG
ORG_DSC01662.JPG
ORG_DSC01675.JPG
ORG_DSC01679.jpg

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Fantastic work! I'm curious of how to do something like this.

What did your set look like?

What is the best way to prepare for an event such as the one you did (people with disabilities)?

Are there any special considerations that you need to keep in mind? Did you know all of what disabilities you would be working with? If so, did this change anything?

What would you recommend for someone considering this for doing this for a first time?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH

Take everything you know about "sets" and throw them out the window. I had sets in mind, but after the first 2 tables I abandoned ship on sets and went with my gut instinct of what effect would work or be most impressionable for this particular person. Some of these people could not pay attention for more than 10-15 seconds at a time before being distracted by all the other stimuli in the room. (DJ, food, friends coming up to them and interrupting) etc.

It was challenging at times.

What is the best way to prepare for an event such as the one you did (people with disabilities)?

Honestly this was the first time I have ever performed for students and adults with disabilities, but I knew some of them would be very low functioning so I tried to go in with a mindset of visual effects that were easy to follow much like I would for young children. Think professors nightmare, disappearing silk with a TT, mis-made bill, rubber band effects and such. I did not do any card effects that required remembering a card or signing a card. It would have gone way over their heads.

Are there any special considerations that you need to keep in mind? Did you know all of what disabilities you would be working with? If so, did this change anything?

I did not know what the range of disabilities would be. Some were very low functioning and some were very high functioning. It was like jumping into the frying pan and seeing what happened. It definitely made me think on my feet.

What would you recommend for someone considering this for doing this for a first time?

Most importantly be ready to HAVE FUN and be humbled. It is an AMAZING evening and just gives you a feeling that you truly are making a difference in their lives even if it is just for those few minutes entertaining them. You can also take some effects to perform for the caregiver who attends with the person, however, the night is really for the people with disabilities.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)

Take everything you know about "sets" and throw them out the window. I had sets in mind, but after the first 2 tables I abandoned ship on sets and went with my gut instinct of what effect would work or be most impressionable for this particular person. Some of these people could not pay attention for more than 10-15 seconds at a time before being distracted by all the other stimuli in the room. (DJ, food, friends coming up to them and interrupting) etc.

It was challenging at times.

Honestly this was the first time I have ever performed for students and adults with disabilities, but I knew some of them would be very low functioning so I tried to go in with a mindset of visual effects that were easy to follow much like I would for young children. Think professors nightmare, disappearing silk with a TT, mis-made bill, rubber band effects and such. I did not do any card effects that required remembering a card or signing a card. It would have gone way over their heads.

I did not know what the range of disabilities would be. Some were very low functioning and some were very high functioning. It was like jumping into the frying pan and seeing what happened. It definitely made me think on my feet.

Most importantly be ready to HAVE FUN and be humbled. It is an AMAZING evening and just gives you a feeling that you truly are making a difference in their lives even if it is just for those few minutes entertaining them. You can also take some effects to perform for the caregiver who attends with the person, however, the night is really for the people with disabilities.

That is some AMAZING ADVICE!!!! Thank you for it!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results