If You Could Only Have 1 Magic Book, What Would it Be?

Dec 11, 2016
yeah, like the title says

im looking to buy my first magic book cuz im going to college and figured it could help me pass some time and improve my sleight of hand and performing(along with social skills hopefully :'()

i think that one book would be enough material to last me the entire time im there

any suggestions?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Without knowing anything else about you, that would be my recommendation also.

If I had to keep only one book from my collection, it would be a different book. If I had to recommend one book for doing close up performance it would be a different book. If you need to learn the basics, it would be something different. If you are only doing card tricks, something else. If you have basic skills and are looking for some "street magic" performance material another book.

So my questions is what resources do you already have, what effects do you currently perform, how often and for who do you perform and what type of magic do you want to be performing?

Aug 15, 2017

im looking to buy my first magic book cuz im going to college and figured it could help me pass some time and improve my sleight of hand and performing(along with social skills hopefully :'()

i think that one book would be enough material to last me the entire time im there

any suggestions?
For the reasons you specified, I am gonna third Wilson's book.
HOWEVER if I wanted to have a book related to magic for my entire life, I would actually choose Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown. It is not EXACTLY magic, but it has the true secrets. Effects, methods, techniques, sleights, today I can get them without any sort of book, no matter how sub-par they are. However, what is written in Derren's book?

Not for your average and highly stereotypical magician.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Mark Wilson's Course is amazing, as you've already heard.

I guess saying the whole of Tarbell is cheating lol (especially since I'm only going off of the part I've read, haven't had time for the whole thing). Probably not for an absolute beginner though (language is annoyingly difficult imo)

Dec 11, 2016
Without knowing anything else about you, that would be my recommendation also.

If I had to keep only one book from my collection, it would be a different book. If I had to recommend one book for doing close up performance it would be a different book. If you need to learn the basics, it would be something different. If you are only doing card tricks, something else. If you have basic skills and are looking for some "street magic" performance material another book.

So my questions is what resources do you already have, what effects do you currently perform, how often and for who do you perform and what type of magic do you want to be performing?
my only resource right now is youtube (dont kill me pls), i mostly perform card tricks and mentalism and i practice almost everyday. magic-wise, i look up to lennart green, daniel garcia, shin lim, penn and teller and chris ramsay (there are more but it'll be a long list). i want to perform close up, like something that'll make me the most interesting guy in the room (i dont talk much)

im definitely checking out Wilson's book

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
my only resource right now is youtube (dont kill me pls)

I haven't killed anybody.... recently.

i want to perform close up, like something that'll make me the most interesting guy in the room (i dont talk much)

Get the three books in Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment for $135. I'd also say to get the five Volume Card College Series for #185. For $320. With those eight books, you will be able to CORRECTLY learn the vast majority of known card slights (most of which are not on YouTube) and have a lifetime worth of material. If you can't afford to get them all at once, get the first two Card College books and the first Art of Astonishment book.

Dec 11, 2016
Get the three books in Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment for $135. I'd also say to get the five Volume Card College Series for #185. For $320. With those eight books, you will be able to CORRECTLY learn the vast majority of known card slights (most of which are not on YouTube) and have a lifetime worth of material. If you can't afford to get them all at once, get the first two Card College books and the first Art of Astonishment book.

i can't find anywhere to get these books, i live in malaysia, anything else?

Jan 28, 2018
England.

any suggestions?
Give me some specifics here. Are you new to magic? Or intermediate? Also, what type of magic do you perform? Card tricks, gambling demonstrations, coin magic, cups and balls, mentalism? Because you know, it depends what you're after. Like, I wouldn't buy Bobo's Coin Magic, not because it's bad because I've seen people perform tricks from that book and it's amazing. But, because I'm a gambler and it would be a waste of money and would be useless to me.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
You've had some excellent suggestions so far. I'd also endorse some of the titles mentioned, like Mark Wilson's book, and even Royal Road to Card Magic - but the latter only if you want to focus on card magic.

I think you need to tell us a little bit more about:
- what your focus in magic will be: only card magic? or also coin magic, impromptu magic, etc?
- what your current level of ability is: beginner? or intermediate?

Some other possibilities:
- Joshua Jay's "Magic: The Complete Course": This is also quite good, and even comes with a DVD, but the section on card magic is not that extensive, and it is geared more to beginners.
- David Pogue's "Magic for Dummies": The authors are no dummies, and the contributors of the material in this book include some big names like Michael Ammar, Daryl, and many others, and it has some wonderful tricks.

Dec 11, 2016
Sorry, ive been working for the last month or so

I would like to learn card sleights.
I love the idea of knowing something they dont and card cheating really appeals to me (for demo purposes).

As for level, i would say im an intermediate magician. But ive not practiced in a while (cuz work) so i cant palm properly anymore but i know how to cover angles.

I also love the theory and psychology of magic and pictures would also help lots :)

May 28, 2018
Saint Louis, MO
If you are an intermediate level magician I would suggest Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Learn it, love it, live it.

Any help with sleights can be gotten in person. I guarentee you aren't the only magician on campus. Find the guy/gal who is better than you and make friends. You can also hook up with finger flingers from around the world through skype.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results