Card sleights tutorial DVD recommendations requested

Aug 1, 2018
After many, many years, I've decided to start back with card tricks but my skills, as limited as they were, have deteriorated. I still have several good card books in my collection somewhere in an unmarked box in the garage but I have never been good at learning directly from books. I do much better when someone shows me...in person being the best method but video is a close second. Anyone recommend some good videos aimed at a novice card-handler showing how to do various double-lifts, forces, et al?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
A great resource for all skill levels would be Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. There are many volumes and covers a wide variety of techniques. You can't go wrong with these.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Mitchell Leary said:
Daryl's videos are very good, but you'll never use all that material.
You really only need to learn 3 things in order to perform 90% of the
card magic in magic literature: a pass, a force, and a double lift.

Richard Kaufman has a video teaching basic card sleights which is
excellent. I remember a magic reviewer saying you could either buy all
those tapes by Daryl and try and figue it all out, or you could buy the
single Kaufman tape and learn all you'll ever really need to know. I
couldn't agree more.

IN A NUTSHELL:

Daryl tapes: Way too much to comprehend and you'll get board as hell
after the first tape.

Kaufman tape on Basic Card Slights: YES, DEFINITELY!

Kaufman tape On The Pass: Yes, eventually

You can do no better than Basic Card Technique & On the Pass by Richard Kaufman.

Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for the recommendations. I've been working on some flourishes through online tutorial videos. My card-fanning is getting better but for some reason I just can't get a full fan and I get a bounce-back (hard to explain). Going to keep working on it and trying different mechanics based upon differing Youtube tutorials. I've been relearning my old 3-card monte-esque routine that I came up with a few decades ago. Just a little close-up goofiness with the key card moving all over the place with three cards only. Not elaborate at all but it's something I came up with then I was in my 20s.

Aug 1, 2008
Well, if you are fond of the classics, R. Paul Wilson did a few dvds on Royal Road to Card Magic. Can't go wrong with Royal Road or R. Paul Wilson.

Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope I'm not too old to learn. I wish there were folks locally who would be willing and able to tutor this old fart but there isn't so I've got to rely on good DVDs.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
I'd recommend that you take a look at the Card College 1 & 2 video instruction course by Roberto Giobbi. Giobbi is an excellent teacher, with real insight into how magic works, and few are better at teaching you the fundamentals of card magic than he is.

It was originally sold as a set of 4 DVDs of nearly 8 hours, but is now available as a digital download via his website. You can buy the 23 individual chapters/lessons for €4.95 each, or purchase the entire set as a package (a very good deal at €49.95).

Card College 1 & 2 Personal Instruction The Complete Course
https://www.robertogiobbi.com/site/product/card-college-12-personal-instruction-the-complete-course

The first lesson (Fundamental Techniques) is available in entirety for free here, as a sampler:

Lesson 1: Fundamental Techniques
https://www.robertogiobbi.com/site/product/card-college-12-personal-instruction-the-fundamentals

Aug 1, 2018
I'd recommend that you take a look at the Card College 1 & 2 video instruction course by Roberto Giobbi. Giobbi is an excellent teacher, with real insight into how magic works, and few are better at teaching you the fundamentals of card magic than he is.

It was originally sold as a set of 4 DVDs of nearly 8 hours, but is now available as a digital download via his website. You can buy the 23 individual chapters/lessons for €4.95 each, or purchase the entire set as a package (a very good deal at €49.95).

Thanks for the suggestion. I've downloaded the free first lesson and will be viewing it later (with deck of cards in hand...Theory11 of course). I am cautious because I don't want to get something that throws me in the deep end causing me to be frustrated. I don't do "frustrated" well and would probably give up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results