Forcing something with a 1 in 4 chance

Nov 13, 2019
I know the second I post this I am gonna think of something but here goes anyway:rolleyes:.

I have an effect in mind but it's quite short and I want to extend it and make it that bit more...
confusing (not sure if that's the right word).

To do this I have an idea where I could include an audience member having a choice of four possible options. And I need to force one, the only ideas I have is magicians choice (i think the proper name is equivocation), and some sort of switch. But I want some more extravagant, else the effect will kinda just look like a force just done a few different ways than a switch to reveal. Another idea is (not sure where its from) using four-different-coloured m&ms (multiple m&ms but just four colours) and - without going into detail - I use a fake thumb to collect what I pour in and they choose without looking.

Just wondered what other options there are they I can't think about right now, I know I have Karl Fulves book on mental magic so I might skim through that if I find it.

(Also I would prefer it to be free online resources - you can reply in thread or pm me)

-I tried to think of a way to include an out but there is probably only one way and that will make the effect predominantly harder to perform.

-I didn't highlight it but I don't want to use playing cards.

TLDR: I need an effect where I can FORCE the spectate to pick an option out of four possibilities.

Jan 8, 2019
If you are using billets or cards, there are many easy ways to force, using a switching box of some kind. If not, then equivoque or multiple outs is probably your best bet.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What are you trying to force? One of four lemons? A color? An animal?

What else is going on in the routine?

There are so many ways of forcing things that the context is what decides the best method.

Nov 13, 2019
What are you trying to force? One of four lemons? A color? An animal?

What else is going on in the routine?

There are so many ways of forcing things that the context is what decides the best method.
This is more a stage performance:

I want to force either A, B, C or D for an answer to a multiple choice question alike to my gcses (a school-test we take in Britain).

The effect is that someone picks a subject, they then pick a page from a text book of that subject and circle a specific word, I then tear that page up and it place it back together and turns into a test question specifically on the word they chose (or I just change it without the t&r I havent decided yet).
However, when practising it felt a bit short so I thought adding a tick in a box that they chose at the start will give it a bit more oomph.

I could still use colours and say what one each colour relates to, or find a question I will force relating to colours.

In terms of equivoque I do have a presentation I like but it works better with four coins as I can split them into coppers and silver, and they place those on the table and that seems a bit more natural if I do take them away than them just pointing to them then pointing to another and I keep that one.
(The last paragraph makes little sense so you can just ignore it:D)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Look at the Bigger Card effect (the bag), the Magazine Test (the method) and the Three Way Test (use of equivoque) in Mark Wilson's Complete Course.

, I then tear that page up and it place it back together and turns into a test question specifically on the word they chose

Doing a TnR with mentalism would tend to confuse the effect. Having the page turn into something else really confuses the effect.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Have the person read the question and then mark an answer with an X on an answer sheet held behind their back (Magazine Test)

2. Have a second spectator select either a card or a folded index card from a bunch of A, B, C or Ds put into the bag (Bigger Card).

3. The letter selected on the answer sheet, matches the letter selected randomly by the second spectator which matches an object held in a bag or box in sight on stage (e.g. a red dog, white rabbit, hamburger, etc.)

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Aug 9, 2018
Number 4 envelope by Blake Vogt would allow you to have four outs to show that you knew what they were going to pick all along. You can make you own multi-out envelopes as well, I just can’t think of any off the top of my head right now.

Nov 13, 2019
Number 4 envelope by Blake Vogt would allow you to have four outs to show that you knew what they were going to pick all along. You can make you own multi-out envelopes as well, I just can’t think of any off the top of my head right now.
This may work with the original presentation (which I am going to try and change into @RealityOne's presentation), the audience don't see where the test paper comes from, so I don't need the envelope and I could just have them laid out infront of me under a table away from view.
I am reading through Peter Turners Vol 1 Psychological playing card forces, so I may have to think of a way to do a big reveal on something I am trying to force - maybe I am wearing something with that letter on it, or the song playing repeats that letter and I do the psychological presentation ('I have been subconsciously controlling your thoughts with the song' etc.)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results