Saturday Night Contest - Something Scary

Christen

theory11
Team member
Oct 25, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey everyone! Hope you all are having a great weekend! It's almost time for Halloween, but it isn't all about tricks or treats. This time of year is perfect for feeling creeped out, scared, or spooked, and even better when you can make someone else feel it. This week's challenge is all about feeling the creeps.

Your challenge for this week is to make a video that is spooky, eerie, chilling, or even scary. Your video has to include either a magic effect OR cardistry! For example, create and/or perform an effect with a creepy presentation, or film a cardistry video that has a spooky feel. Magic and cardistry are fair game this week, as long as it can creep us out, scare us, etc.

Film your videos and upload them to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram. Then, post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, November 1st! All videos have to be filmed and uploaded from the time this contest is posted until it ends at 11:00pm tomorrow. No previous videos you have made are eligible!

What can you take home this week? 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and your choice between ANY 6 in-stock decks or ANY single effect we have available on our site (up to $75 value)!

You guys supply the tricks (or cardistry moves), and we'll supply the treats. We can't wait to be spooked, and we look forward to seeing your entries!

Aug 6, 2017
Guys... thats now the 3rd Halloween based contest in a row. Would have expected something new and more creative. You could have made a "Create a Peek" contest, due to the new release of Alias. Give Alias and Gold Artisans as a prize & you would have a solid contest with a challanging task that deserves the prize.

Thank you guys for these contest anyways. But please... theory11 stands for creativity & diversity (at least for me)

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Guys... thats now the 3rd Halloween based contest in a row. Would have expected something new and more creative. You could have made a "Create a Peek" contest, due to the new release of Alias. Give Alias and Gold Artisans as a prize & you would have a solid contest with a challanging task that deserves the prize.

Thank you guys for these contest anyways. But please... theory11 stands for creativity & diversity (at least for me)

We have done Saturday Night Contests weekly for somewhere around 12 years now. That is in the ballpark of 624 different contests over the years. We always try to be relevant to what is happening in the world or magic community, hence Halloween. In the case of this week, Casey, your usual host, isn't available. Christen stepped in to do her own thing this week, and since the contest happened on Halloween night the theme feels pretty perfect. Also, free stuff?!

If you have creative ideas for contests, be sure to let us know here. We are always (and have been for 12 years) looking for fresh ideas, and we would love to see what you have.

// L

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

And still I dont see you participate in these 3... but I do see you criticizing the contests and results of others, and yet, no participation at all in these one and others... So, I have to ask, why bother? Why dont participate and have fun and maybe even win and have some sweet prives? Unless you are not looking for that.. so, why?

Aug 6, 2017
And still I dont see you participate in these 3... but I do see you criticizing the contests and results of others, and yet, no participation at all in these one and others... So, I have to ask, why bother? Why dont participate and have fun and maybe even win and have some sweet prives? Unless you are not looking for that.. so, why?

Because anyone can praise theory11 but noone wants to critisize. Noone is perfect and I am sure they are taking any criticism seriously. A lot of things are being done right, but can be done little better.

As to my entries... they do actually show how fair and objective I am keeping my opinion.
So far, I only entered some luck based contests - despite of that I am in favour of skill based contests being given "better/bigger" prizes. I do really love to watch what people come up in such short time - and knowing that they indeed put quite some time in their entries (as opposed to luck based 5- second- entries) I would be more than happy seing them be rewarded for the higher effort.

Thats all to it. You can do the praising, I will stick to constructive criticism to ensure improvements be made.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
This is a recurring theme that has come up quite frequently in the past. . However, I will put my two cents in. ....Challenging the SNC is not the way to go , rather working with it in order to ensure that everything works accordingly is, for all intents and purposes the best route.. @Meral you have to understand that these contests are FREE to enter.... They don't cost a thing to enter and the overall best(One that stands out irrespective of subjectivity(Why we have judges)) submission usually wins. Sometimes you will have a high number of contestants other time you will not. There is a thread on Theory11 that says What do you think? It's a forum thread created so that people can recommend things to do to the Saturday Night Contest to make it perhaps "better"...Casey Rudd has in my opinion done a terrific job of hosting these contests. I have been entering these contests for several years now enough to know that the prizes handed out are tantamount to the effort given by the participants(Aside from the random ones , we have no telling who is going to win those). Rather than criticize the SNC format ... Why don't you find something that does interest you on the website and focus on that. Hope this helps.:)

Aug 4, 2020
Bayville, NJ
For one I am grateful for Theory11 and the Saturday Night Contest. They are fun and gets my brain thinking. I am just starting out in magic and these forums are great to answers questions and interact with some great people and professionals. These contest help me work out some performance as well. I know I might not win but I am grateful they provide a place where I can record something and put it out there. Thank you Christen and Casey and the rest of Theory11.

Jun 8, 2020
For one I am grateful for Theory11 and the Saturday Night Contest. They are fun and gets my brain thinking. I am just starting out in magic and these forums are great to answers questions and interact with some great people and professionals. These contest help me work out some performance as well. I know I might not win but I am grateful they provide a place where I can record something and put it out there. Thank you Christen and Casey and the rest of Theory11.
I couldn't agree more!
SNC's help push me to get creative, which I love.

Also, it's the month of October. Why wouldn't the contests be Halloween themed!?! It's not like the same contest was running 3 weeks in a row. I, like others have said, am so grateful that Theory11 runs these. They don't have to give out free effects and cards, but they have for 12 years just for us.

Christen

theory11
Team member
Oct 25, 2011
Los Angeles
Good luck everyone. Hope everyone had a happy and safe Halloween.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHD1dfwhemj/?igshid=1dbvsde0tl9ri

Hey everyone! We hope you all had a spooktacular (and safe) Halloween! Congrats Galganosteven, we've selected you as the winner for this SNC. Overall we thought your creative and simple trick perfectly captured the Halloween spirit. Please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize out to you ASAP.

Thank you to everyone that entered; "see" you next Saturday for another SNC!

Aug 4, 2020
Bayville, NJ
Hey everyone! We hope you all had a spooktacular (and safe) Halloween! Congrats Galganosteven, we've selected you as the winner for this SNC. Overall we thought your creative and simple trick perfectly captured the Halloween spirit. Please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize out to you ASAP.

Thank you to everyone that entered; "see" you next Saturday for another SNC!

OMG! I am honored and humbled. Thank you so much for choosing me. I also want to thank all the other participants. I enjoyed watching everyone else’s entries.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results