The T&R Project by Huron Low

Aug 31, 2007
The T&R Project is a two-DVD set by Huron Low (the DVDs can be purchased separately) comprised of Fire in the Hole and Four. The first 500 people who purchase the Project will also receive Daren Yeow's 0630 as a bonus.

Before I get started, I just want to point folks to a few other detailed and lengthy reviews of the T&R Project, as I don't plan on rehashing what they have already covered:

1) Here is one that covers the full Project (both DVDs).

2) Here is another one that just covers Fire in the Hole.

3) And here is one that just covers Four.

4) Lastly, here is a review for Daren's 0630, which is included as a bonus effect if you purchase the full T&R Project.

There have also been very favorable "mini reviews" given by Ben Williams (creator of Labelled and Re-Labelled) as well as Justin Miller, which can be found on the Cafe.

Now, in some ways I don't feel like I have a lot to add to what has already been said, but I feel like I should say something out of appreciation for Huron's work. The bottom line is that this is a stellar product, and anyone who has a serious interest in the torn and restored plot will love what Huron has done. That being said, here are a few things that particularly stuck out to me about the T&R Project:

Originality

The effects that you will find on the Project are, for the most part, unlike anything else that you will find on the market. And even the one effect (Making Ends Meet) that is somewhat similar to other things currently available, manages to have a fresh feel to it because of it's storyline (restoring a card mis-matched) and the subtleties that Huron has put into it. These are not just more torn and restored effects that look pretty much the same as what has gone before! These are fresh ideas that, in my opinion, really breathe new life into a plot that has become somewhat cliche. I think this is especially true of Fire in the Hole.

Depth of Teaching

It is very clear as you watch these DVDs that Huron has thought long and hard about each of the effects, and that they have all been thoroughly worked and re-worked before being released. Huron covers everything in thorough detail, including finger positions, angles and other subtleties and convincers that really help to sell the effects. This set really contains some of the best teaching I've ever seen in a magic product.

Production Quality

The production quality of the DVDs is very, very good. I even liked the music that played in the background! All in all, I had a lot of fun just simply watching the performances and explanations. Everything had a nice casual feel to it as well, which I really appreciate. It's like you and Huron are just hanging out, and he is explaining the effects to you. Very well done.

Dislikes

The main gripe I have is that the DVD menus can be a bit confusing at times. There is just so much material, that it is easy to get lost. But in light of the overwhelming positives, to even mention this seems a bit like quibbling. The only other complaint is that this isn't real magic! But it's very close... :D

Also, many of the effects on here do require some set-up and extra materials besides just the cards. Most of this is covered in the reviews I linked to above. If this bothers you, you would probably be better off going with Torn, Ripped and Restored, or ReinCARDnation. I used to hate the thought of having to prepare much for an effect ahead of time, but I've slowly come to see that you really limit yourself if you have that attitude. To each their own, I suppose.

In closing, if you like the torn and restored plot and you like what you see in the preview videos, then you will love the T&R Project. It is one of the best magic purchases I've ever made, and I'm looking forward to using this material for years to come.

The Project can be ordered directly from Huron's website.

Any questions, please ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mesmer thank you so much for the review... and thank you so much for noticing the little things which I tried to do to make a difference in this product. I really didn't think anyone would notice the music... as that took ages to select to get the right feel. Thank you for your honesty... haha yes there is a lot of material and that makes the menus difficult to navigate initially... and... I DID intend to include a 'play all' function but there are just too many directions to go. There's something for everybody so everyone selects their path and has the freedom to mix and match the material... that's something I wasn't sure how to solve so I gave the menus as much of a structure as I could come up with. You guys will get used to it... haha.

Once again... thank you for the review... KEEP EM COMING GUYS!

Huron Low

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 10, 2008
I've been hearing a lot of hype about this effect...
Though I, personally, haven't got a copy of it yet... I've been trying to rave about it to a few magicians. All of them seem really skeptical about the idea and remain true to the original "Torn" by Daniel Garcia. They say "Torn" is the most 'clean' TnR out there, in terms of free selection and restoration.

Does "Fire In The Hole" really take that long to prepare for? I mean, yeah... If you want to make the 'Bombs' look neat and tidy, you might spend an entire night (and money...) trying to perfect the little picture... But, as in the actual trick itself... Too long for the impatient magician?

---
JK

Aug 31, 2007
I've been hearing a lot of hype about this effect...
Though I, personally, haven't got a copy of it yet... I've been trying to rave about it to a few magicians. All of them seem really skeptical about the idea and remain true to the original "Torn" by Daniel Garcia. They say "Torn" is the most 'clean' TnR out there, in terms of free selection and restoration.

Does "Fire In The Hole" really take that long to prepare for? I mean, yeah... If you want to make the 'Bombs' look neat and tidy, you might spend an entire night (and money...) trying to perfect the little picture... But, as in the actual trick itself... Too long for the impatient magician?

---
JK

JK,

Torn and Ripped and Restored (which is basically identical to Torn) are very good torn and restored card effects. It all comes down to what you want really. If you see a performance of Torn, and that is the kind of effect you are looking for, then go for it. If you like the way Fire in the Hole looks, then go for it. Everything that is said about Fire in the Hole on Huron's website is true; the performance conditions are very good. However, you do have to make a gimmick ahead of time, but the gimmick doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to make, and then you're set. Once the gimmick is made, the performance itself doesn't take more than a few minutes. Here is a performance video to give you an idea of what a performance looks like, and how long it takes.

If that doesn't answer your question, please clarify and I'll try to help. But I would be wary of people telling you that this t&r is necessarily better than that t&r, as it all comes down to preference and what you are comfortable with. Every t&r effect out there has it's own positives and negatives, and you will just need to decide what set of positives and negatives you are best able to live with.

Nov 17, 2007
In my humble opinion I like The T&R Project by Huron Low
it is one of my best buys that I have done of all the times.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
The thing about FiTH, is that there are signatures everywhere and it's seems so impossible, it's really good, although I'm having trouble with RSM.

Feb 10, 2008
JK,

Torn and Ripped and Restored (which is basically identical to Torn) are very good torn and restored card effects. It all comes down to what you want really. If you see a performance of Torn, and that is the kind of effect you are looking for, then go for it. If you like the way Fire in the Hole looks, then go for it. Everything that is said about Fire in the Hole on Huron's website is true; the performance conditions are very good. However, you do have to make a gimmick ahead of time, but the gimmick doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to make, and then you're set. Once the gimmick is made, the performance itself doesn't take more than a few minutes. Here is a performance video to give you an idea of what a performance looks like, and how long it takes.

If that doesn't answer your question, please clarify and I'll try to help. But I would be wary of people telling you that this t&r is necessarily better than that t&r, as it all comes down to preference and what you are comfortable with. Every t&r effect out there has it's own positives and negatives, and you will just need to decide what set of positives and negatives you are best able to live with.

Yoh!

It was the gimmick I was worried about, but it seems like it takes quite a short while to make, as opposed to some of the complaints I've heard. I'm sure with practice, any gimmick-manufacturing will become second nature, just like card sleights.
The effect is, indeed, very powerful, in terms of having the spectator sign 'everywhere'. The choice of which signature to cut out also drills into their minds the fairness.
Compared to Torn, which is simplicity in itself, I think Fire In The Hole, though more complex, achieves a comparatively strong outcome... If not stronger...

Jeezz... I sound like some crazy reviewer even though I haven't got the trick... YET... :p

Thanks, mate!
---
JK

Sep 1, 2007
Also, keep in mind that once a gimmick is made for FitH, it can be reused for a while, so you end up destroying less cards that you would with other TnRs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results