4 Step Guide On Creating Your OWN Effects!

Hey guys,

I am a big idea man. I love to come up with these large and small scale illusions that seem impossible to even the magicians I tell them to. Even so, I still create and have the ability to perform these feats of magic and the magicians who see me perform it live always asks me, "How do you come up with these ideas?"

And with all the people always asking, "Well how do I create my own effect?", I decided to make a 4 step guide to creating your OWN illusions therefore having the ability to do something NO ONE eles can accomplish.

Step One- The Idea (Coming up with the idea/concept)- This by far has to be the hardest part of creating your own effect next to figuring out how to actually perform it for most magicians. And for some it comes very easily to them. It really varies form person to person. I think the only real way to come up with an idea is to just LET IT COME TO YOU. DO NOT try to force it. Most usually when you do something you enjoy or when you see a certain object or doing a certain something, it just hits you like a brick to the head. Haha, most of my ideas that I come up with I come up with in the shower. I don't know why, I guess it's just the feeling of being relaxed is just the idea maker for me. Also, do something or look back on something that inspires you like for me, I sometimes listen or play music. I'm a huge rock fanatic and I play guitar alot so that where I also get some of my ideas. So if you do something you enjoy or just relax a bit and take it easy and not think about it too much, then it will come to you...

Another thing that I also do and might be a little easier for the people who can't come up with something completely original right off the bat can also take an old or classic effect, and making it new and original with a new twist, handling, or look to the entire trick. I LOVE taking something like that 2CM that you can change the handling of so much and making it look like a completely new effect. AND REMEMBER, NO IDEA IS A BAD IDEA! When something comes to you, take it and run with it. Oh, and write it down so you dont forget it! I forget to do that all the time and I always forget what I come up with so yeah, be sure to do that :).

Step Two- The Method (How to find and come up with the sleights.)- This is I believe the second hardest next to coming up with the idea. With things like card or coin effects, there are some many sleights and moves to choose from. Of course you will have to do a bit of researching and buying, but if you believe in what you are creating, then it should be well worth it. Now, if there IS NOT some kind of sleight or move that fits into your effect, then MAKE YOUR OWN! I can't tell you how many purely awsome effect are made possible because they were made of original sleights and moves, and it makes it that much more harder for people to figure out and not that obvious to laymen who might know an extensive amount of sleights. Such effects like Sinful. Every move was created by Wayne Houchin himself and came out with one of the best impromptu effects out there.

And another thing I forgot to mention, when coming up with the method, keep it SIMPLE! You DO NOT want a overly complicated method that you might get mixed up with and might get the spectators confused. Keep it simple!

Step Three- Practicing (Organizing your effect.)- Practicing your new effect might sound simple enough, but there IS some work that you have to do so you can perform it effectively during performance. And that's why keeping the method simple is important, because you do not want to get into the effect and forget which step comes next and end up with an embarrassing performance which sucks by the way ;). First, you need some full-proof way that you can remember how to do your effect step by step, every step of the way. What I do is I right down all the steps with the names of the sleights and moves in order of when it comes into use during the effect. If there are angles that you have to deal with, try practicing it in front of a mirror and see what angels are working for you and which ones are not. A video camera works too if you have one. Depending on the effect and who you are, I think the average amount of practice it takes to get down a close-up effect is about maybe 4-5 weeks. That's just me, if it takes longer or shorter than that, that's fine, but practicing your effect or any effect for that matter is one of the most important steps in having a effective and entertaining performance.

Step 4- The Presentation- This is THE most important step in performing the effect. The trick is only as good as how you dress it up to look like. Presentation is the KEY to having a blowout performance. It can make or break your performance. In the end, it's all up to what YOU want it to look like. Mentalism, comedic, creepy, dark, whatever. That's the beauty of magic, you can shift and shape it to look like whatever you want it to look like, but you MUST have some kind of presentation to make your effect that you worked so hard on be as good as you want it to be.

And that's it. It took me quite a while to type it up but I finally got it done. Yes, it's a long process but believe me when I say it is well worth it. And who knows, maybe you will see your effect being sold where on T11 with rave reviews ;). Thanks for reading guys and I hope this helped :)...

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Excellent Post! I've come up with an effect that you can reveal the time thought by a spectator then make a clock with 12 cards and the hour that you thought of e.g. 3 o clock I take out the 3 on the clock, I dunno if you know what I mean, and thats the only card with blue back the other cards are red-backed and the blue card matches with a prediction on the table =D.. with a very smart method. credits: tamariz, daryl

cheers

aris

Aug 31, 2007
Number One, whatever you have said is pretty much common sense. There are some good points there, but generally, I felt it was quite... hmm... obvious. Think of an effect, think of a method, try it out, present it.

Number Two, never mind Number One. Thanks for sharing, even though its common sense.

Number Three, I don't believe in any fixed method of creating an effect. Sure, there are some common methods, but generally, just let your mind run free, and use your imagination. Try anything you want.

I think Mr Kenner can come in and give his insights.

- harapan. magic!

S

sidrohc

Good tips! I was just thinking about making my own effect and that definitely helped me start. Thanks!

Whoa whoa whoa! There is so much more to creating effects than 4 steps, and those who think differently will not achieve their goal. There really isn't a GUIDE to creating magic, although some people claim there is, it all has to do with creativity and enthusiasm. I'd like to say that we can tell people exactly how to create an effect, but a guide to creating an effect is just pish posh.

Mitchell

You seem to be concerned about inventing effects for magicians. Why? When I try to come up with something new, Magicians are the last thing on my mind. I try to fool spectators, not other magicains. If my effect happens to be a magician fooler, Thats just a plus.

Tim

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Whoa whoa whoa! There is so much more to creating effects than 4 steps, and those who think differently will not achieve their goal. There really isn't a GUIDE to creating magic, although some people claim there is, it all has to do with creativity and enthusiasm. I'd like to say that we can tell people exactly how to create an effect, but a guide to creating an effect is just pish posh.

Mitchell

I agree with Mitchell on this one, though it was a nice post which may help motivate others.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Great read, and nice post. Im a big fan of putting a twist to a routine or a trick that someones already come up with, my most recent one that I thought up was for 2CM at the end i light some flash paper so the cards appear to come out of the air. PM me for more info if you'd like

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
When I create a new effect the internal dialouge in my head usually goes as thus:

"Wouldn't it be funny if..."
"Yes... yes it would"
"How do we do that?"
"Let's find out!"
(Make stuff)

Make sure you learn a lot about the world around you. How things work, have other interests, and PAY ATTENTION. That way when magic can't provide the answer you can resort to something else. Like make-up, electronics, or even graphics and music. Technology makes for GREAT magic and methods.

Ask yourself - What effect do I REALLY want to do? It's hard to force creativity. You have to just let it "hit" you. Carry a pen and piece of paper with you at all time so you can write down an idea if it strikes you. A lot of people keep a pad and pen next to their bed for dreams.

If you are a good thinker but poor builder don't give up on yer idea either. Partner up with someone who is good at something you might not be. Worked for Ford Motors.

Jeremy Hanrahan

Craftsman, <a href="http://www.theory11.com/gear/h
Sep 1, 2007
Simcoe Ontario Canada
Excellent read,, thanks. And then once all the fun stuff is done you need to mass produce your effect, find someone to film the effect,have someone edit the effect, have a copy house press the dvd(if used) have an artist come up with some pretty cool artwork to help sell your effect, then market the effect and get a main supplier to sell it to every store in North America or better yet - Worldwide, and offer top notch customer service. You will also need some start up capital and have some people help you make all the gimmicks(if supplied) pay them, pay for advertising(if releasing independantly). Give your effect out to some field testers for a couple of months so they can tell you how to modify and better your product, go back to the drawing board(if needed) and improve on your effect, the list goes on and on. But trust me, it is well worth it, having something on the market that is yours, is truly gratifing. We all have it in us to create, or we would not be on this forum right now. I believe that anyone can achieve this if you just put your heart into it.

Regards,
Jeremy

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I'm trying to create an effect, but I need help for it, because I've been wracking my brains, if someone could PM me for help, I would love you forever.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
What exactly does wracking your brains mean?

Um, losing sleep for the past 24 hours trying to think of a way to do the trick that I have in mind.
I'm sure that someone will come along and give me the easiest answer in the world, and then I'll feel like an idiot... :/

Um, losing sleep for the past 24 hours trying to think of a way to do the trick that I have in mind.
I'm sure that someone will come along and give me the easiest answer in the world, and then I'll feel like an idiot... :/

Read the first step bro. DONT FORCE IT! That's the worste thing you can do because it will most likely be a sucky idea. Let the idea come to you. It takes time, yes, but it's definately worth it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results