My Trip to the U.S. Playing Card Company

Sep 1, 2007
Good evening/morning/afternoon everyone! I just got back from Cincinnati. This week was Spring Break for me so my I drove to Ohio with my parents (sister is at college) to visit the USPCC. This might not excite some of you, but for a kid from southern Indiana where you can only buy Bicycles this was a freaking dream come true. I took some pictures of what I bought. I though I would share them with everyone. The pictures are uploading now but I thought I would go ahead and post.

After I checked out (42 decks for $56.50) my mom bought a few decorative decks she got for about 8 cents a deck. She does art stuff and she bought some cards to cut up and use. She also got some Bees and a book of card game rules for my grandparents. My mom told me the lady working there gave her a bag full of stuff and said "Give this to your son when you get in the car to leave." She gave me the bag and in it was 12 different decks that she just threw in for free. They weren't super rare or anything, but it was really nice of her to give them to me.

After the USPCC we visited the two magic shops in the area, Haines House of Cards and The Magic Shop. At The Magic Shop I got The Card Magic of LePaul. The guy running the shop was really nice. He was really happy that I was buying a book instead of a DVD, it was pretty funny. He said "Well thank God that you read." a bunch of times. I told him I do mostly card magic and he said the three books every card magician should have are The Royal Road, Expert at the Card Table, and Expert Card Technique. He was a really nice guy and he wasn't afraid to poke fun at himself. He said "I specialize in the Stripper deck and the Svengali deck...mostly because I'm lazy. I'm not even going to mention how old I am."

All in all, it was a really fun day trip. We got to Ohio Tuesday night and stayed in a really nice hotel my dad got on PriceLine for really cheap (completely unrelated to the story but I thought I would share). I think everyone should make at least one trip to the USPCC in their life. Kind of like a hajj.

Well now that my essay is finished I'll just wait for the pictures to finish uploading and post 'em.

Sep 1, 2007
The pictures are finished so here they are.

The sign above the main building.
dscf1287xq5.jpg

Obligatory picture that my mother wanted to have taken. (I look unhappy because it was raining)
dscf1285ue7.jpg

Sep 1, 2007
I bought two of these at $5.00 apiece. (I wanted all of the Vintage Backs but they were $2.75 a deck as opposed to $5.00 for six)
dscf1304kh8.jpg

Dominoes!!! (free with my purchase)
dscf1308mo5.jpg

I also got two decks of Aviators (not special enough for a picture)

You can also see in the "Everything" picture that I got a brick of Fan Back Tally Hoes for 94 cents a deck. At first I couldn't find any so I asked the lady and she went to the back and got them for me. What a surprise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Stuff the Lady Gave Me for Free

Everything.
dscf1288ao6.jpg

Single Decks.
dscf1289ye4.jpg

Bees. (anyone know if these are like the Wynns?)
dscf1311gr2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
A two-deck set of reproduced Army and Navy decks from 1881. This thing is AWESOME.

dscf1309or2.jpg

dscf1310jn8.jpg

dscf1294sh3.jpg

dscf1295nd1.jpg

I also got a deck of Twighlight, Bungalow, Flirtatious, Black Tigers, blue Bees w/ white borders, black Rider Backs, a red deck of Thistle Backs, Royale Playing Cards (don't know much about these), and some Texans (not Palmettos). Very nice of the lady to give me all of that free stuff.

Sep 1, 2007
Just as I was taking these pictures my cat decided to explore inside the bag I brought everything home in.

dscf1306sb7.jpg

Her eye isn't really jacked up. It just looks really weird in the picture.

dscf1315sk8.jpg

Sep 1, 2007
It was a blast! I think everyone should go. Even if you don't find anything good, the experience alone will be well worth the trip.

Something funny about the price. I was expecting her to say the total would be somewhere in the area of $75.00 when she got finished ringing everything up. I was pleasantly surprised when she said "$56.50." I got a ton of stuff for a great price. Her finding the brick of Fan Backs for 94 cents a deck was what made the trip.

Sep 1, 2007
Something else I forgot to mention. While my mom and I were each buying our respective loot, another lady who worked there started talking to me about how just today they had talked to David Blaine. She said he had just got some sample for his "new deck" (she said Split Spades, maybe a new run of them?) and was very excited about it. She also asked me if I was familiar with Ellusionist. After I said yes, she said "Then you probably go to Theory 11, right?" She talked about how they did you lot of work with Theory 11 and that she really liked the cards. I could tell she was enthusiastic about what she did and it was really neat to talk to someone who had heard of Theory 11.

...now if only that lady would have given me some Guardians and Centurions for free too. I was surprised they even had Black Tigers. They probably had them (the Tigers) in the back since I don't think they're allowed to sell them.

Sep 1, 2007
The Magic Shop is on Philadelphia in the German area. I think it's called Mainstrassen. It's a tiny little place. There wasn't much there at all but the owner was a really nice guy.

Sep 1, 2007
There was a guy there that might have been palmer from decknique. I was going to ask him but I thought I would sound a bit goofy if I asked a complete stranger "Hey are you from the Internet?"

Sep 1, 2007
Really Nice Dude .... I Bet It Was An Awesome Trip ....... I Thinkin Imma Go This Summer .... I Dont Know ....... Well Congratulations For Ur New Decks ... I Love Them

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results