25 Tips For an Enjoyable Life

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Oh, I love self-help books they are a lot of fun to read but I have to say that Dale Carnegie was the best of the self-help genre. Plus is your tennis coach a millionaire?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I have no idea. I know he makes good money, but I don't think he's a millionaire. But he is extremely smart, and knows a LOT about finance.

Sep 1, 2007
I liked this post. I'll try and do some of these things, even when it means that I'm going to be doing the complete opposite thing to what others are doing.

However.

Studies show that people with strong faith have happier and more content lives.

http://www.halfsigma.com/2006/06/religious_peopl.html

And also some Dawkins article that I can't find that shows that a large (75 to around 80) percentage of top level scientists don't believe in a personal God.

I fail to see how a list showing you how to live a good life has believe in God and become smarter on the same list.

Apr 28, 2008
You’ve Got to Believe: “the only thing that really matters is faith expressing itself as love”. –Galatians 5:6 Belief in a higher power changes a person’s whole perspective on life for many reasons. One of which is because a believer recognizes that God knows everything we do. Studies show that people with strong faith have happier and more content lives.

While some of them may be true I completely disagree with this. Obviously a belief in a higher power will change your perspective on life I don't believe it is in a good way. Personally, I am far happier accepting the world as it truly is.

Another problem I have with many of these 'self help' guides is that they appear to be written by people who have very good lives to start with.
E.g. Things like 'Saving regularly and Invest wisely' That seems like a great idea, but unfortunatley many people hardly have enough money to live never mind making 'wise investments'

And some of them I think are just wrong. 'Don’t Say, Do, Write, or E-Mail Anything Everyone Can’t Hear, See, or Read', if I had to keep my opinions of everyone to myself I think I'd go insane, sometimes you just have to talk to someone how you feel about somebody/something, it may cause offence if they find out but theres no way I could keep some things to myself. I also think if I spent my whole life going out the way to not offend anyone or say anything bad about anything I'd have a painfully boring life.

Sorry if this comes across as being a bit aggressive as i'm sure you were just trying to help people, I think most of them probably are good ideas but a few just really stood out to me as not being particularly helpful.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I agree with your a bit too squirrel ;)

I wouldn't call it agressive, you are just challenging someone's opinions. I think it's important that every person will have a different perspective on life, and their "25 Tips" will all have some major differences. For the most part +95% these were all very accurate and universal.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
While some of them may be true I completely disagree with this. Obviously a belief in a higher power will change your perspective on life I don't believe it is in a good way. Personally, I am far happier accepting the world as it truly is.

Another problem I have with many of these 'self help' guides is that they appear to be written by people who have very good lives to start with.
E.g. Things like 'Saving regularly and Invest wisely' That seems like a great idea, but unfortunatley many people hardly have enough money to live never mind making 'wise investments'

And some of them I think are just wrong. 'Don’t Say, Do, Write, or E-Mail Anything Everyone Can’t Hear, See, or Read', if I had to keep my opinions of everyone to myself I think I'd go insane, sometimes you just have to talk to someone how you feel about somebody/something, it may cause offence if they find out but theres no way I could keep some things to myself. I also think if I spent my whole life going out the way to not offend anyone or say anything bad about anything I'd have a painfully boring life.

Sorry if this comes across as being a bit aggressive as i'm sure you were just trying to help people, I think most of them probably are good ideas but a few just really stood out to me as not being particularly helpful.

I especially agree with you on the God one; like I said previously in this thread, one of my close friends is an atheist, and not only do I not have problems with that, but he seems to be a very happy person. So I agree with you there.

The one about talking, writing, doing, etc. just means don't say, do, write, or E-Mail anything you wouldn't be ashamed of everyone in the world seeing.

I love your "Essays" Drew. Please keep making them. They're very enjoyable.

I appreciate that comment, but once again; this isn't mine, my tennis coach wrote it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results