A Question

Nov 17, 2007
hi,
i was looking through the videos on the site and there are so many videos of people doing flourishes to cams and tricks to cams and barely any with magic being done to people. i wanna know why? are u scared to perform for people? (if so your in to the wrong thing) another thing is with all the flourishing videos. its impressive but four minutes of twisting cards around your hands is boring to watch and if u practice all of these flourishes all the time which u need to i believe ur magic will suffer. when did magicians become mainly jugglers? can people please join me in bringing the magic back into the videos and also some performances! stop doing tricks to cams!!!!!!!!!! do them to people dont even strangers just people!!!!!!!!!!!!

That wasn't really a question but I agree about doing magic to cameras, it's pretty dull. I'd love to see more real live magic, but there is a few of those videos in the media section.

As foor flourishing, I'm still in the neutral side of that argument.

~PaCo

Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
I prefer magic alot more than flourishing. The only time I learn a flourish is if it has a purpose as in a whole deck retained order or retaining the top card. thats about it for me.

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
i agree i would like to see more live performances but i dont blame people showing off their stuff in front of a web camera either. its alot cheaper to buy a web cam than it is a digital camcorder. Plus you dont have to call up a buddy to follow you around for a couple of hours.

i dont have a camera myself but if i was to have on i would use it to practice on to see what my bad angles are. when i do get a good shot i could post it online and see what others think before i try it on real people..

flourishes on the other hand are getting old to me. i see the same thing all the time.

Apr 28, 2008
hi,
i was looking through the videos on the site and there are so many videos of people doing flourishes to cams and tricks to cams and barely any with magic being done to people. i wanna know why? are u scared to perform for people? (if so your in to the wrong thing) another thing is with all the flourishing videos. its impressive but four minutes of twisting cards around your hands is boring to watch and if u practice all of these flourishes all the time which u need to i believe ur magic will suffer. when did magicians become mainly jugglers? can people please join me in bringing the magic back into the videos and also some performances! stop doing tricks to cams!!!!!!!!!! do them to people dont even strangers just people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because there are more videos being done for cameras does not mean people don't perform for live audiences. It is much easier to film in front of a webcam than get someone to follow you round with a camera. I frequently perform for live audiences but having a cameraman following me everywhere would be very impractical.

As for flourishing, don't try and trivialise it by referring to it as juggling, it is an artform of it's own. Also, who are you to say what people should practice?, what if they want to spend more time on flourishing? That's not for you to decide. Just because you say it's boring doesn't mean other people share that opinion. I find it fun to watch as do many of the people I have performed flourishes for.

I think your arguments are very weak and you've not backed up any of them, it's just your opinion.

I also suggest you learn to spell, it's difficult to take your argument seriously when your post is so badly written.

Amen to that! Magic and flourishing do NOT mix.

Not true at all, I mix both together and reactions are not diminished at all compared to when I just perform magic.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
As for flourishing, don't try and trivialise it by referring to it as juggling, it is an artform of it's own.

I've heard Dan/Dave in an interview say that although flourishing is an art, it's just juggling cards. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
I've heard Dan/Dave in an interview say that although flourishing is an art, it's just juggling cards. :rolleyes:

It quite possibly is, I just don't like it when people try and use the term to dismiss flourishing as trivial and insignificant.

Aug 31, 2007
It quite possibly is, I just don't like it when people try and use the term to dismiss flourishing as trivial and insignificant.

you have a good point
IMO, it takes just as much (if not more) skill to flourish
just because its a fairly new phenomenon,
people try to dismiss it
but who cares.
its fun to do,
and its impressive.

Nov 17, 2007
Just because there are more videos being done for cameras does not mean people don't perform for live audiences. It is much easier to film in front of a webcam than get someone to follow you round with a camera. I frequently perform for live audiences but having a cameraman following me everywhere would be very impractical.

As for flourishing, don't try and trivialise it by referring to it as juggling, it is an artform of it's own. Also, who are you to say what people should practice?, what if they want to spend more time on flourishing? That's not for you to decide. Just because you say it's boring doesn't mean other people share that opinion. I find it fun to watch as do many of the people I have performed flourishes for.

I think your arguments are very weak and you've not backed up any of them, it's just your opinion.

I also suggest you learn to spell, it's difficult to take your argument seriously when your post is so badly written.

Not true at all, I mix both together and reactions are not diminished at all compared to when I just perform magic.[/QUOTE

firstly, i can spell!!!!!!!!!! im the top english student in my school!!!!!!!! im using text language!!!!!!!!! Duh!!!!!!!secondly if u dont want to practice magic and just flourishes then ur not a magician. also the creation u create by mixing the 2 together is that u ar using slight of hand all the time because ur good with handling cards while if u stick to magic it looks like pure magic!!!!!!!!

Apr 28, 2008

Not true at all, I mix both together and reactions are not diminished at all compared to when I just perform magic.[/QUOTE

firstly, i can spell!!!!!!!!!! im the top english student in my school!!!!!!!! im using text language!!!!!!!!! Duh!!!!!!!secondly if u dont want to practice magic and just flourishes then ur not a magician. also the creation u create by mixing the 2 together is that u ar using slight of hand all the time because ur good with handling cards while if u stick to magic it looks like pure magic!!!!!!!!

I suggest you stop using text language, it makes you look stupid and makes it difficult to take you seriously.

I didn't say I just practice flourishes, I do both. Would you say Dan and Dave or Daniel Madison are not magicians because they do flourishes and include flourishes in their magic performances?

As for mixing them together, no intelligent audience actually believes you're doing real magic, expecting them to believe you are is a massive insult to their intelligence.

As before, all you've done is regurgitate old arguments in a very incoherrent way with nothing to back them up. It's purely your opinion which doesn't seem to be based on experience. If you actually try mixing magic and flourishing you would find that it works and audiences like it.

Nov 17, 2007
just because u cant read very simple stuff doesnt mean anything everyone else can. wat does dat tell u? and not coming from experience. do u know who i am? im the number 1 magician in Ireland under the age of 21!!!!!1 i have fans all over the world!!!!!!!!!!!! i perform every day!!!!!!!!!! its my job!!!!!!! and i have made people believe i have supernatural powers because i dont just do card tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!! so before u say im inexperienced check out who u are talking to!!!!!!!!

Apr 28, 2008
just because u cant read very simple stuff doesnt mean anything everyone else can. wat does dat tell u? and not coming from experience. do u know who i am? im the number 1 magician in Ireland under the age of 21!!!!!1 i have fans all over the world!!!!!!!!!!!! i perform every day!!!!!!!!!! its my job!!!!!!! and i have made people believe i have supernatural powers because i dont just do card tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!! so before u say im inexperienced check out who u are talking to!!!!!!!!

I can read it, I just said it makes you look stupid, although you are doing that quite nicely even without the bad spelling. You're making no attempt to respond to my arguments in a logical way, simply ZOMG!!! ZOMG!!!I R!! COOL !BETER THAN U LOLZ!!!!. I'm more than willing to have a serious discussion on flourishes and magic but I think i'm wasting my time as all i'm getting from you is a tirade of stupidity.

Nov 17, 2007
u said im inexperienced so i responded. back to the point. flourishing is cool but there are tyooo many videos on this site that are 4 mins long and just flourishing. thats boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want to know why people dont do more magic. and not to a cam. i said u dont have to go out to find strangers. set up a cam and do it to ur friend. im sick to death of seeing a card trick where the card is meant to be selected and the magician just takes a card out themselves. who does magic to themself its stupid. also about flourishing videos after a minute or so it get repeatative!!!!!!!!! im not sayting flourishing shouldnt be used im saying 4 minute videos are boring. and not mixing them is just my opinion because i want to seem as good with cards as my spectator is so like DM said u seem like another person in the room like them but u can do crazy things!!!!!!!!

Apr 28, 2008
u said im inexperienced so i responded. back to the point. flourishing is cool but there are tyooo many videos on this site that are 4 mins long and just flourishing. thats boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want to know why people dont do more magic. and not to a cam. i said u dont have to go out to find strangers. set up a cam and do it to ur friend. im sick to death of seeing a card trick where the card is meant to be selected and the magician just takes a card out themselves. who does magic to themself its stupid. also about flourishing videos after a minute or so it get repeatative!!!!!!!!! im not sayting flourishing shouldnt be used im saying 4 minute videos are boring. and not mixing them is just my opinion because i want to seem as good with cards as my spectator is so like DM said u seem like another person in the room like them but u can do crazy things!!!!!!!!

I did not say you were inexperienced, I said you do not seem to have experience of mixing flourishing and magic.

The reason people do magic for the camera is to get feedback so they will be able to perform the trick better for a live audience.

Many of us enjoy watching flourishing videos and do not find them boring, if you find them repetitive I suggest you don't watch them.

Nov 17, 2007
i dont watch them but i want something to watch so im asking for magic videos with magic done to people. even ur mom dad girlfrind boyfriend roommate friend wife anyone just someone. and i mixed them together once and my reactions dropped a lot so i went back to what works and works well and pays the bills and but petrol in my BMW ( yes im 18 and i have a BMW 08 yay go me) anyway i think ur wrong and u think im wrong. they are seperate things keep them that way. u dont see an actor mixing arts. im the middle of a musical he sits down and lets everyone watch him paint a picture for entertainment. or a painter mixing a video of him painting and doing flourishes it doesnt happen. and if u dont like how i type u can pog mo hoin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(thats irish) the replies to this thread are now boring me so im out!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 28, 2008
i dont watch them but i want something to watch so im asking for magic videos with magic done to people. even ur mom dad girlfrind boyfriend roommate friend wife anyone just someone. and i mixed them together once and my reactions dropped a lot so i went back to what works and works well and pays the bills and but petrol in my BMW ( yes im 18 and i have a BMW 08 yay go me) anyway i think ur wrong and u think im wrong. they are seperate things keep them that way. u dont see an actor mixing arts. im the middle of a musical he sits down and lets everyone watch him paint a picture for entertainment. or a painter mixing a video of him painting and doing flourishes it doesnt happen. and if u dont like how i type u can pog mo hoin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(thats irish) the replies to this thread are now boring me so im out!!!!!!!!!!!

You say reactions dropped a lot, that's your problem, they didn't for me.

I don't see why anybody should make videos simply because you want to watch them.

Your analogy of the actor/ painter obviously does not work on any level so i'm not going to bother to reply to that.

I can assure you I was bored from your first post, I really hope you don't reply anymore, I gave you a chance to seriously discuss the subject but all you can come up with is incoherrent BS.

Sep 1, 2007
I dunno if this is serious or a deliberate spoof, but I can't believe you just said "you don't see an actor mix arts, he doesn't sit down in a musical and start painting", because you just blatantly contradicted yourself because an actor in a musical is mixing the arts of singing and acting...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results