Spread Pass by Chad Nelson

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, time for a review! I was familier with the basic spread pass technique, but I didn't know the finer details of the move. I saw that Chad had an "On-Demand" download for it at Dnd's webiste, so I thought what the heck, he was fanatatic in Surfaced, why not support him and learn a kick-ass move in the process?

What they say- "One of my favorite moves in card magic." The Spread Pass is an ingenious utility move created by Paul LePaul and updated by Chad Nelson, creator of Surfaced and the Full Nelson.

Learn everything from the basic mechanics of the Spread Pass, as both a control and a color change, to the psychology in this jam-packed tutorial by expert instructor, Chad Nelson.

What I say- For those of you who don't know, this is a download avaliable at www.dananddave.com. They have a mildly new section on their site, entitled "On Demand" this is basically the same as T11's 1on1's, or Penguinmagic's Instant Downloads. You don't download it though, you buy it, then you can access a page where you can view it as many times as you want. On to the move.

The first thing I noticed when I watched the performance is, Chad is FREAKIN INSANELY GOOD AT THIS MOVE. I watched it over and over again not to figure it out or anything, but just to look at his hands when he does it. The guy is inhuman. Even after watching it like 5 times burining his hands, you see nothing. This sounds crazy, but I would have payed the 4 bucks just to watch the multiple performances of the sleight. Anyways, on to the the explanation.

Chad is a little fast with it, finishing the download at around 6 minutes. I peronally had no problem learning it, but I can see where someone would complain about the teaching. Once I see the explantion once for something, I'm usually good to go. But I said before, he rushes a little bit, not too much, but its definently not really in-depth. Their are multple angles when he explains the sleight, which helps a lot in the learning process. After he teaches it, they have a view from the bottom, which in this case is an exposed angle, and this really makes the download. He shows it from that view like 10 times. kind of like the teaching method on Surfaced with the clipshift, where he teaches it and then does it slowly a bunch of times. He doesn't add that many tips as I thought he would for the sleight. He does add one good one that makes the ending "square up action" much easier, so thats a big plus.

the move itself isn't that hard, but it obviously helps a lot if you have experience in cards. If your a total beginner, I would wait a little bit. Its not extremly hard, but its requires you to be familier with a deck of cards, as well as being just comfortable with movement of cards. The angles are pretty good, just like any other pass. I personally won't use it if someone's burining my hands, but its great if there's misdirection. In my opinion there is no better control than a well-executed, invisible to the spectator pass. You don't have to cut the deck, do some weird flourish, or even do anything to the deck. It just happens.

This isn't something thats supposed to be used on its own. Just showing a card, making go to the top, then you stop, in my opinion is really dry. This is meant as just an all-round control to use in any trick that requires a controlled card, like the ACR etc., or it could be used as a color change, which I think looks pretty good.

The production value is fantastic. Crystal clear camera work, and great audio. It rivals T11's quality.

Pros
-Somewhat easy
-Versatile move
-Looks good
-Its only 4 bucks.
-Quality is great
-Its Chad Nelson

Cons
-Teaching may be rushed for some
-Not as many personal tips as advertised.

Overall, this was a pretty good buy. If you need to learn a pass, then I would definently suggest this as an option. I'll give it a 8 out of 10. Well worth it.

http://store.dananddave.com/spread-pass.html

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I'm a little confused. You continually bash Joel Paschall for bringing out "unoriginal" material or sleights, but when Chad Nelson does it, he's still God? Nothing against Chad- I just don't get your mentality.

Take the Fan Control. You were complaining because it was a move that was decades old, and was taught in various books and resources. Well... this Download that you are praising... isn't that what it is? A move that is decades old, and was taught in various books and resources? Oh, and Joel did add something to the Fan Control which, although not being a lot, is still pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
Great review, I think i'll be picking this up.

I already do the spread pass but it looks nowhere near as good as Chad's. Hopefully there's some good tips in the download not found elsewhere.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm a little confused. You continually bash Joel Paschall for bringing out "unoriginal" material or sleights, but when Chad Nelson does it, he's still God? Nothing against Chad- I just don't get your mentality.

Take the Fan Control. You were complaining because it was a move that was decades old, and was taught in various books and resources. Well... this Download that you are praising... isn't that what it is? A move that is decades old, and was taught in various books and resources? Oh, and Joel did add something to the Fan Control which, although not being a lot, is still pretty cool.

3rd response to same post, hehe

I'll man up and admit, I did contradict myslef at one angle of this argument. I'll stop *****ing about the unoriginality, but I still have one problem. The pricing. I've responded elsewhere where we can really discuss this. I don't think this is the best place to discuss it though, if you know what I mean.

Sep 1, 2007
Squirrel, if you already do the spread pass, I don't think you'll get much out of this. Like I said in the download, he doesn't give as many tips as advertised.

Apr 28, 2008
Squirrel, if you already do the spread pass, I don't think you'll get much out of this. Like I said in the download, he doesn't give as many tips as advertised.

I decided to pick it up anyway as it's only $4 and I like Chad Nelson, I think i'll get a lot out of it, the grip he uses is quite different to the one I currently use and I believe it is much better.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not too familier with the sleight. is the one in Lepaul's book the same exact one as this, or is it different?

Apr 28, 2008
I'm not too familier with the sleight. is the one in Lepaul's book the same exact one as this, or is it different?

I don't have the book so i'm not too sure, in the version I know the lower packet slides along the spread, this doesn't happen with Chad's. The difference is very small, just the placement of 2 fingers however it makes the pass much quicker and more invisible.

I don't know if Chad's is the same as the pass in LePaul's book though.

Aug 5, 2008
I love the spread pass, some of you may know ...... I think Ill be picking this up, since I need to work a lot on it.

Great Review, man.

D

Deleted member 2755

Looks really nice, but at the moment I don't even have $4. ;) will get this eventually though. Looks really nice.

-Doug

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
I have this move too. I think it's awsome. I re-watched it like 20 times and everytime I did, I saw something that helped me improve this sleight. Pick it up if you don't have the book and practice alot! :)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I actually learned this about two years ago from Gregory Wilson's "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards". I may have to buy this to see if I can pick up any tips from it- but it sounds like they aren't very many tips I probably don't already know.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I learned(not "mastered") this move two nights ago from chad.and i have to say its just wonderful.
I have already used it for laymen on the streets and people do not see/suspect it.
Like chad says,all the moves have a motivation.
I used it also as a color change and got great reactions.
Im practicing the move right now.ive been at it for two days straight.
I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
I learned(not "mastered") this move two nights ago from chad.and i have to say its just wonderful.
I have already used it for laymen on the streets and people do not see/suspect it.
Like chad says,all the moves have a motivation.
I used it also as a color change and got great reactions.
Im practicing the move right now.ive been at it for two days straight at it.
I love it.

I agree, it's a great move. I love Chad Nelson's magic because it's visual but still natural.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results