Good stage effects?

Mar 30, 2008
Anyone have any good stage effects? I want to do something special for the talent show at my school, and have no idea what to do. I was tempted to make my own version of Shadows by Teller. It was too hard to do and it isn't a setup I can do unless I want to be the first act. I don't want something like silks or card manipulation. I might practice a sweet Cups and Balls routine. If the school can hook a camera up so it projects what I am doing close up, I might do a poker demonstration. Besides those, any ideas are welcome.

.:|MK|:.​

Apr 27, 2008
Here are a few tricks that I have performed at my talent shows. I am more into mentalism like Slamdown now so these are more for magic.

Slamdown (jimmyfingers.com)
Zombie Ball (mjmmagic.com)
Touching on Hoy Luke Jermay (penguinmagic.com)
Ultimate Cane (masterofillusions.ca)

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
You could also use the backpalm if you're into that. You know? like the production of multiple cards in a seemingly infinate fashion.

GW

Oct 18, 2008
Hey!
- enchanted cube by fooler dooler
- cut and restored rope comedy routine
- make a selected card or borrowed ring end up in the lemon or orange or whatever you produce at the end of the cups and balls routine.

hope that helps.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Anyone have any good stage effects? I want to do something special for the talent show at my school, and have no idea what to do. I was tempted to make my own version of Shadows by Teller. It was too hard to do and it isn't a setup I can do unless I want to be the first act. I don't want something like silks or card manipulation. I might practice a sweet Cups and Balls routine. If the school can hook a camera up so it projects what I am doing close up, I might do a poker demonstration. Besides those, any ideas are welcome.

.:|MK|:.​

Any version of the Bank Nite effect would play pretty well - or other mentalism stuff, really. The one I prefer is Bryn Reynold's Your Lucky Nite from the book The Safwan Papers.

dwj

Nov 9, 2008
Go for the gusto.

what ever it is that you eventualy choose to do has to show who you are. By letting your audience see that you have chossen something that eminates you ans your qualities will allow them to like not only what your doing but you as a person and a performer.
I do suggest by showing the one thing that you can nail right now, hands down, cold and even blindfolded. That one thing that you do better than anyone else. See where I am going with this...
let your persona big the big draw and you won't fail!
I look forward tosee where this is going and hearing of your success!!!!

Cheers

Mar 7, 2008
ive actually just gave this same idea to somebody else on a different thread so i thought it may come into good use with you also after seeing your thread to see what you think.

okay well i bought a neat little self working effect a couple of months back called 'white star' by a guy called jim critchlow. basically its an out of this world effect but using photos instead of cards- the photos that come with it are apparent photos of people who were on the titanic- beautifully printed by the way. and it uses audience particiaption,.

the set up would be to have a table in the middle of the stage with a decent cloth drooping over it with 2 chairs on one side and another chair on the opposite side - with the photos squared up on the table.even add a lit worn down candle to make it more interesting.
the only thing i would say was a must do!! to make this routine a stage trick is to have a video camera looking down onto the table and rigged up to a tv screen or projector on stage so that the audience can also enjoy the whole experience of the other spectators doing the trick,which is easy enough to do.
ahh yes another idea i had come with is to have playing throughout the trick and just before you come onto the stage is a song called 'hymn to the sea' by james horner only quietly though so its not distracting the effect but just so that everyone around you can sense of its being there gently playing in the background - and it really just is the right song for this particular trick!!

you will need to call out 2 sectators as well to participate in this trick with you.
its easy to do- selfworking.
the only important and hardest thing with the effect to do is pure showmanship and a great presentaion.this is really a hard hitting trick and maybe very emotional to some of the audience ( the spectators are seperating 2 piles of people into dead and survived) so you will need to be quite hard faced but relaxed and quiet in your voice- youve gotta play it up make it eerie.

this is just my take into the effect and ideas ive recently come up with if i was performing it for a stage routine and as you can see i think it can be definitley done that way,ive missed some of the points which are included with the effect which i didn think would really work for me . i hope you like it.any questions you pm me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results