Blind :: D+M

Jan 12, 2009
Even then, the setup is so small that you could probably pull it off right in front of the spectators nose, and voila, you have a miracle! I mean "blind" coincidence!

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
To me, this is way to easy to figure out! It is like one of those tricks you find in a beginners magic book. I know sometimes the simplest trick could get great reactions but this has too much setup and you don't end clean. I think the 1 on 1 video is a little deceptive as the deck DM is holding goes off camera. That was the give away!

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
To me, this is way to easy to figure out! It is like one of those tricks you find in a beginners magic book. I know sometimes the simplest trick could get great reactions but this has too much setup and you don't end clean. I think the 1 on 1 video is a little deceptive as the deck DM is holding goes off camera. That was the give away!

Right, okay I see what you're saying, but consider if you will the following presentation and my own thoughts about some of the things you brought up. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Limited

Free Choices are abundant in our lives, what clothes to wear, what food to eat, what drink to drink. But there are some things that seem to have free choices, when in fact we're influenced to choose a certain option; whether we realise this or not.

I'm going to spread through my deck and hand you one card, I want you to resist the massive urge to look at it and just keep it on top of your deck for the moment. I want you to spread through your own deck now, and pull out the card you want to choose... a free choice... and just put it on top of my deck, like I did with yours.

Now like I said, there are some things that seem to have free choices, when in fact we've been influenced in some way or another. Did it feel like a free choice? Good. Turn over the cards.

Now... I know that's shocking, but I wanted to show you exactly what I meant, pick up your deck again, you said it felt like a free choice yes? Look at the rest of the deck...

It's here that it would be revealed that the rest of the decks are in fact blank. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally, I think that's a strong presentation (for me at least) that will help subdue any floating thoughts about anything other than the effect that just happened. Let me just address the other points you made to help:

To me, this is way to easy to figure out!

Other than the fact you're a magician, I have to say, that given the effect that just happened and that the spectators only see it once. Think how many times you watched the video to get it, now factor in that you're a magician and I think you'll find you're at a significant advantage to a lay person. Who has no idea what's going to happen in the effect anyway. How can they figure something out as it goes along if they don't know what's supposed to be happening.

but this has too much setup and you don't end clean.

Very simple answer to this and I think it's a rather convoluted thought that is typical of someone who cares more about the method.

My answer to this is that, they don't know there's setup, and they certainly don't know that you don't end clean (Might I add that most lay people wouldn't even think about using such terminology).

In saying this however, the presentation I gave above, enables me to clean-up (for the most part) in front of the specs whilst at the same time revealing another effect, that of which being the blank deck which helps in another way.

Laymen aren't very familiar with blank decks unless you've used them before in other effects, still I must say that, when they see a blank deck in the context of this effect, there's that initial shock of "What the hell is this?!" and then there's the "How did I know which one to pull out?!" and finally "He couldn't have switched the card he gave me because he gave it me at the start". Combine all those thoughts with the fact they're holding a blank deck that is inspectable, and blank decks are strange to lay people in the first place, you'll find that most people won't be bothered about inspecting eveything, how could a blank deck get any more abnormal? Especially when they're holding one - which if it was a trick deck you obviously wouldn't give to them in the first place, so it must be normal!

If anyone wants to ask me about the clean-up I use for the above presentation, feel free to PM me about it, but obviously you must tell me something about the video that only the owner would know about. :)

I think the 1 on 1 video is a little deceptive as the deck DM is holding goes off camera.

I'm not quite sure how to address this because I agree in some ways, because it prevents someone from making an informed purchase - people might already have something similar of their own, purchase this to see a different method and only find that it's the same as theirs, wasted money.

In other ways, I disagree, what you see in the preview video is exactly what the spectator sees and remembers. This is what's important, the effect (sans method).

Final Thoughts

This effect relies HEAVILY on a strong presentation, this isn't just another "bet you don't know how I did that" or "Look at this, this is strange" trick. When you think about the effect and only the effect that happened, this is very very unnerving. If they had picked out any other card, the result would not have been the same, combine this with the presentation I gave above (I'm not saying you have to use that by the way, please don't feel like I'm saying that) and they start to wonder about whether they really were influenced or not. This kind of effect gets inside the spectators head with those "What If?" thoughts, I like to call them.

So you see, all these thoughts going on, and at no point are they thinking "How did he do that?", "Must be a trick deck". Eventually they will come back to the "How did they do that?" thought, it's an inevitable thought from anyone that sees something impossible, things like these demand explanations. The longer you repress that thought, the longer you sustain the magic.

I hope some of that made sense, I'll gladly talk about it more if anyone wants to add their own thoughts, and I'm sure others would aswell. :)

Finally... Take care of yourselves, and each other.

- Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Hi Sean, I understand what you are saying, I could go on and on about why I don't like this trick as you went on and on about trying to counter what I was saying but I guess I am too lazy!!! :) However, the responses to the 1 on 1 video by other magicians worries me. With responses like "O dang!!!!!!!!!" , "That just screwed me over" & my favorite..."god damn...... my mind has officially been blown". If they can't figure this out then ..."god damn...... my mind has officially been blown"! Now don't getme wrong, I think T11's site is the best thing out there right now for us Cardists, Flourishers, Hobbyists, Magicians, but $5.95 for old tricks recycled and changed a little is getting a bit common place for T11's 1 on 1's. I think when they release these they need to step it up a bit! Anyway, in my opinion, it's not my cup of tea!

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hey buddy,

I see what you're getting at, but I think for you to find it silly that some people can't figure out effects like these is a bit silly itself. Some people just can't think in certain ways that enable them to see through the effect and straight to the method - so they buy these effects and are pleasantly surprised to the principals they get exposed to. :)

I am in agreement however that lately some of the 1-on-1's have just been old effects that are/have been slightly modified. However, therein lies a problem... How do you define when to say something is okay to be sold, where is the line of modification that makes it acceptable? A different topic altogether I think, so let's leave it there and agree to have our own opinions. :)

- Sean

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Hey buddy,

I see what you're getting at, but I think for you to find it silly that some people can't figure out effects like these is a bit silly itself. Some people just can't think in certain ways that enable them to see through the effect and straight to the method - so they buy these effects and are pleasantly surprised to the principals they get exposed to. :)

I am in agreement however that lately some of the 1-on-1's have just been old effects that are/have been slightly modified. However, therein lies a problem... How do you define when to say something is okay to be sold, where is the line of modification that makes it acceptable? A different topic altogether I think, so let's leave it there and agree to have our own opinions. :)

- Sean
Oh I am quite fine with agreeing to have my own opinions, it's the likes of you, Steerpike and Thrallmind that seem to have problems with other posters opinions, especially when it comes to anyone with a negative opinion towards a DM effect put out there! I see all of the posts you guys attack and you all do the same thing, quote each part of the post and then sometimes coming up with a reasonable arguement while putting in little insults! So let's agree to disagree and I am sure this will not be our last encounter!
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Y'ouch, I hope you didn't think I was attacking you. :( I certainly didn't mean it to come off that way! Though I don't agree with the bit about us attacking anything with a negative opinion towards a DM effect :p But yeah, I'm sure I'll see you around the boards. :)

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
it's the likes of you, Steerpike and Thrallmind that seem to have problems with other posters opinions,

If that's what you see, you need to get your eyes checked.

especially when it comes to anyone with a negative opinion towards a DM effect put out there!

I've only defended him once, and that's because I hate conspiracy theorists more than I hate Daniel's fans.

Anyway, the effect. If there's a set-up involved, then it's pretty hard to call it impromptu with a straight face.

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Hey buddy,

I see what you're getting at, but I think for you to find it silly that some people can't figure out effects like these is a bit silly itself.

It's even responses like this, I never said I found anything silly, you should really read the post before you go quoting and responding in a sarcastic manner! :) buddy!

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
If that's what you see, you need to get your eyes checked.

I've only defended him once, and that's because I hate conspiracy theorists more than I hate Daniel's fans.

Anyway, the effect. If there's a set-up involved, then it's pretty hard to call it impromptu with a straight face.
Sorry Steerpike, my bad! Just looking through some of the old posts to see who is really sincere and who may be a "fanboy"! Didn't mean to lump you in that group!

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Le sigh... And here I was thinking that some sort of intelligent discussion might be in the air. :rolleyes:

*waits for Steer to say I told you so* :p

- Sean
Well well, another attack, and looking for reinforcements! I expected nothing less! In my neighborhood we have a name for "guys" like you and we deal with them accordingly. Annonymity of the web surely has given false courage to lots of people! Now if you will excuse me I have other things to do to fill my Saturday with then deal with teenagers on a forum! :) Ah, there's that Smiley.

Sep 1, 2007
Le sigh... And here I was thinking that some sort of intelligent discussion might be in the air. :rolleyes:

*waits for Steer to say I told you so* :p

- Sean

I told you so. Most people here have no self-control and get defensive over the slightest imagined transgression.

In my neighborhood we have a name for "guys" like you and we deal with them accordingly.

Whoa-ho! Slow down there, holmes! We ain't here be dissin' yo hood.

Annonymity of the web surely has given false courage to lots of people!

The irony of course being that you yourself are hiding behind a computer monitor and mouthing off to us with thinly veiled threats.

However, if anonymity so bothers you, pick a date and I will personally send you the money for a plane ticket to Pittsburgh. We'll meet at The Original Hot Dog Stand for a nice lunch before settling this like mature, educated goons.

Now if you will excuse me I have other things to do to fill my Saturday with then deal with teenagers on a forum!

Emphasis mine. Cliched, stale comeback. Bad answer. Next.

D

Deleted member 2755

The effect is killer. There is a small set up involved, but not much. You can also take out this effect any time you wanted. (For those of you that read my review, it said to PM me. Its very simple, but some people haven't noticed it.)

Sean, I love your idea of using a blank deck. Very smart idea. I made my presentation to hype it as much as possible, but to end with a blank deck... That is very smart. :)

I may almost completely disagree with most of DM's views on magic, but there is no denying that a lot of his work is great. I'd say give Blind a go. Its very easy, kills, and if you use Sean's idea of a blank deck, after it kills it will then set on fire.

Highly recommended.

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results