Presenting "The Big Tiny" by Paul Harris

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Okay, so if you follow my video reviews of the True Astonishments DVDs, you'll know I was on the fence about The Big Tiny... I was enthusiastic about the idea itself, but didn't like it because, frankly, the effect makes little sense as presented.

Finally, I sat down with the thing... and thought of something that actually makes sense... granted, it doesn't make COMPLETE sense, but at least everything is more justified. I'll give you the script here, and would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

"Alright, so as it stands, this deck is MY deck... I own it, I purchased it, I'm the only one who has touched them. Even if I gave the deck to you, it would still be my deck... it would just become MY deck in YOUR possession, see what I mean? There's only one way to make this deck yours... if we personalize it."

"Now, I'm going to have you sign your name on this deck. Now, if you only signed ONE playing card, you'd only own that ONE playing card... therefore, you need to sign all 52 with your name. Go ahead... I'll wait"

(Plop deck onto table and relax for a moment... no too long so they actually do start writing on the cards, just enough so they pick up the deck in preparation to carry out your instructions)

"WAIT! This could take a while... but I just had an idea. You can sign all 52 cards at the SAME TIME! Want to know how? If you sign here, on the side edge. Now, to make sure you 'own' all 52 cards, I want you to try signing your name from the very top to the very bottom, getting ink on all of the card's edges... make sense? Ok, go ahead."

(Let them sign the deck, take it back, do the required "shuffle")

"So even though your name is now all jumbled, it's still your deck. I'll prove it to you. We'll make four piles of cards, and you get to decide where each cards goes... in the first, second, third, or fourth pile, and we'll do this with the entire deck."

(Let them do the dealing procedure, until all 52 cards are used)

"So, essentially, you've mixed up the deck even further, correct?"

(Let them see the rough edges of the piles, exposing the jumble of "ink dots"... hold up a single card, letting the spectator's see the dots)

"See that? That was your name! It still is... it's only smaller. But let's make it a little bigger... it is your deck after all. Take your index finger, and slowly rub those ink spots for me please."

(Let them rub the side of the packet, revealing the tiny version of their name. Do this with all four piles)

"There we are, four mini versions of your own name. And you can keep the deck... it is your deck, after all"

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 2755

DIG! I thought about what you said about disliking the effect. I thought about it and you were right. The Big Tiny's principle is awesome, but since it couldn't be motivated it really couldn't be considered real magic. I was in a little denial for a while because I loved the effect so much. ;)

Well you did a fine job in routining this effect. I love this description. Is it perfect? No. Is it close? Heck yes. The only part I thought was flawed was when you said it was your deck and the only way to make it theirs' was to personalize it. It makes it seem like they would think "Well why is it theirs' if they didn't personalize it?" Is it over-analyzing? You betcha. Even so, I think that small bit should be worked on. I'm a little busy doing 20 things at the moment so I can't really think of a way to slightly alter that, but when I get a chance in a bit I will. Thanks for this script you came up with. It's the only way I'll perform The Big Tiny anymore.

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
Just goes to show that with good thinking, and the right presentation, an effect that might seem useless can become amazing.

Very good job.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
This trick was more of a "cool trick I can show ya", before this script.
Good job Michael.

Doug, I think your reading a little too into it.
I doubt you'll get called out on not personalizing the deck yourself (I can't guarantee of course).

It's just a simple thought.
You bought the deck - it's yours.
They sign it - it's theirs.
It should go unnoticed.

Just my thoughts.

Aug 31, 2007
Great idea Michael! The Big Tiny is an awesome effect and gets great reactions. Adding that presentation will make this effect even better.

-Rahat

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results