Mentalism Routines

May 11, 2009
I've been doing card magic for around 3-4 years. I'm trying to start some more kind of magic besides with cards. I really enjoy mentalism routines and keeping up my card magic (kind of going for the Luke Jermay thing). I was wondering if anyone knows any really good mentalism books and routines. I was also wondering if theres any really good card mentalism routines as well. Thanks guys

James

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, absolutely James.

The best mentalism books to start off with include:

Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals - Teaches you how to be a mentalist, rather than just tricks. It's like having someone who knows tricks - but you know they're not really magicians, just because they can do the 21 Card Trick. Same thing with mentalists.

Tony Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism - Possibly the most comprehensive coverage of all aspects of mentalism. Includes a section on card mentalism.

Theodore Annemann - Practical Mental Magic - A great compilation of effects from his vast publications over the years.

These are the basic books mentalists should own. There is of course a lot more compulsory reading, but they're the best to start off with - how to be a mentalist and exactly what that means - what mentalism is.

As far as card mentalism goes, there is a lot that is scattered. Barrie Richardson's Theatre of the Mind, two volumes, both contain very good material. Also, I quite like Derren Brown's The Devil's Picturebook DVD set.

For more extended recommendations, check out this comprehensive list...

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Note that it is written by Bob Cassidy and hence doesn't contain his own works, but I would put Fundamentals at the top of that list. Note that Corinda and Annemann feature prominently in his list as well - being first and second most important respectively. Also note that Practical Mental Effects = Practical Mental Magic, just an earlier version. Although he recommends Annemann's Jinx over Practical Mental Magic, he acknowledges that the latter is a more to the point work, and for that reason I'd actually prefer it. There's no substitute for the Jinx, but especially when starting out, I find that it's hard enough to visualise Corinda and Annemann as it is - it is sometimes a little difficult to read and bring to life - so any abbreviation in the massive Jinx is a good thing to start off with. He also recommends Henry Hay's book, which is probably a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2009
Yeah, absolutely James.

The best mentalism books to start off with include:

Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals - Teaches you how to be a mentalist, rather than just tricks. It's like having someone who knows tricks - but you know they're not really magicians, just because they can do the 21 Card Trick. Same thing with mentalists.

Tony Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism - Possibly the most comprehensive coverage of all aspects of mentalism. Includes a section on card mentalism.

Theodore Annemann - Practical Mental Magic - A great compilation of effects from his vast publications over the years.

These are the basic books mentalists should own. There is of course a lot more compulsory reading, but they're the best to start off with - how to be a mentalist and exactly what that means - what mentalism is.

As far as card mentalism goes, there is a lot that is scattered. Barrie Richardson's Theatre of the Mind, two volumes, both contain very good material. Also, I quite like Derren Brown's The Devil's Picturebook DVD set.

Thanks so much. I was thinking about getting 13 steps to mentalism but didn't because i didn't really know what it had. So i think i might be getting 13 steps.

James

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
No worries James. By the way, I edited and added some stuff to the above post with another list you might be interested in.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I currently close my performances with the first effect in 13 Steps. :)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Actually here's what I would recommend. The Osterlind DVD set for 13 steps and also get the book and a Swami. Then once you gone through that you can go to Fundamentals and Practical Mental Effects/Magic. From there it's pretty much up to you. Once you can do Center Tears, Peeks and NW. You can pretty much make an entire career out of that stuff (I know a lot of top Mentalist have made entire careers out of that stuff. )

Get Fundamentals first if possible, because it teaches you what mentalism is and not the types of effects mentalism has.

You need to understand something first before you get deep into this. The thing most people do when going into mentalism is that it's just a bunch of tricks that mess with the mind. If you are on this road then turn back, because you will be doing yourself and everybody else a favor.

You have to make this real, not magic real. Mentalism is all about building rapport and making a true connection with the people you are performing for. Being a true performer is going to be the real test here, it isn't about how well you can necessarily do the effects but the way you present them and if you can make them real or not.

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Get Fundamentals first if possible, because it teaches you what mentalism is and not the types of effects mentalism has.

You need to understand something first before you get deep into this. The thing most people do when going into mentalism is that it's just a bunch of tricks that mess with the mind. If you are on this road then turn back, because you will be doing yourself and everybody else a favor.

You have to make this real, not magic real. Mentalism is all about building rapport and making a true connection with the people you are performing for. Being a true performer is going to be the real test here, it isn't about how well you can necessarily do the effects but the way you present them and if you can make them real or not.

Thanks Sherlock! You're the first person I've ever come across going against the grain in NOT recommending Corrinda first.

Like Jameswoerd1, I've been seriously considering branching into mentalism to make my routines more versitile and adding power and zip to my performances.

For friends and co-workers who know I'm a personal trainer, freerunner, contact juggler and juggler, and cardist, anything I do with cards, no matter how clean I execute the sleights, is assumed sleight of hand/digital dexterity. When they ask "How did you do that?," it's hardly out of surprize and awe. It's often a very cognative question as in "Really... what are the mechanics behind what you did." I really only get that moment of wonder and astonishment from those outside that circle. Within that cirlce, "reading minds" or body language, plus other aspects of mentalism, would amaze but still 'make sense' in a way, considering the character I've played in that realm.

Thanks for the tip!

I have actually read Fundamentals unlike some who recommend it. It's exactly what you need to start off, because it goes into the basics of making mentalism believable instead of wandering off into some effects.

There are some other books along the way that are very helpful but for a more advanced road.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
If you know a bit about card magic i would seriously recommend my basic walkabout routine that works well.

Radar Deck
//Deck switch to Osterlind Stack
Mind reading by calculating card ... Lots of presentation required.
Invisible Deal
Swammi Number
Leads onto some other mentalism effect or Hypnosis

Jan 1, 2010
The hangman as always, spot on.
My advice is if doing cards and mentalism, be careful how your routine flows.
I really like how Michael finney does his show so my set is much like his.
Focus on quality not quantity.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
If you are going to do Card magic in a mentalism routine, then you need to forget how to handle them like a magician. The cards should be nothing and you should limit yourself in how much card stuff you do.

Sep 24, 2007
You have to pretend you suck with cards. You shuffle overhand, perhaps even dropping cards once in a while.

Sep 1, 2007
You have to pretend you suck with cards. You shuffle overhand, perhaps even dropping cards once in a while.

Suck is too strong a word. Unimpressive works better. There's no reason you can't use a Hindu force for example.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results