Personal Hygiene - The Essay

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Personal Hygiene

To get started... I think a lot of young magicians don't realize that hygiene, both visible and "invisible" hygiene, is very important to your performance. Visible hygiene would include things like nails, clothes, hair, etc. And the "invisible" hygiene would include stuff that is part of your hygiene, but you can't really see... such as your smell, breath, etc.

If your hygiene is bad, it can really affect how your audience perceives you as a performer, and sometimes they may not wish to watch you perform because of it. If some stinky, trashy looking teenager approached you, pulled out an old, dirty deck of red Bicycles from his coat pocket, and asked if you wanted to see something cool, what would you say? More than likely ... you would turn the kid down. As would most normal people on this Earth. It's nothing personal against the person, it's just life.

So, before you leave the house, even if you don't plan on performing, follow this checklist:

- Make sure your nails are trimmed.

- Brush your teeth.

- Make sure you're dressed appropriately.

- Brush your hair.

- Use deodorant!
- You should already know this, but… shower everyday!

Now, if you know you’re going to be performing, run to the bathroom 10-15 minutes before your performances, and follow this small checklist:

- Fly is zipped all the way to the top.

- You don't have boogers or snot hanging from your nose.

- You smell all right.

- You wash your hands so they’re not dirty.

- Your breath smells good (carry mints).

If you follow these checklists, it will lower your chances of getting turned down or told to get away on basis of how you look and smell. Of course, there will be those times when you have to rush, and don’t have time to do the little things like brush your hair or dress as nicely as you normally would. I personally don’t see a problem with this, as it happens to the best of us.

Thanks for reading, and I do apologize for the shorter length of this essay, but I figured most of it was common sense. Thanks again!

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
I'm sorry, but when did we start learning human values from internet boards?

If people don't know this stuff then I really want them out of magic. Sorry, but it's true.

Ty

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I agree, that's part of the reason why I posted it... so that the "dirty" magicians would see that they are disrespecting our art and should quit while they're ahead.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Not posting exposure videos is also common sense, but people do it anyway. A lot of this is common sense, but I see some magicians posting videos in their pajamas, with dirty looking props, uncut fingernails, and it gives the performance an overall trashy look. I just pray to God they don't actually go out and perform like this. They could at least put a little effort into making themselves look respectful... not only for their own dignity, but for the overall appearance of our art.

I would just like to say that some people DO go out and perform with dirty nails and hands. Also, many people have terrible B/O and are oblivious to it. So I think always wearing deodorant should be an every day thing.

I don't think the way a person dresses should be in this category, because dressing to impress is a whole other topic and can be covered in great detail.

Mitchell

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Maybe the way a person dresses is a whole different subject, but I think it definitely has to do with the overal appearance, and kinda sorta fits in with everything else I talked about having to do. One tip I have about dressing is to dress a step above the people you are performing for. For example, in restaurants:

Low Class: jeans, fairly nice t-shirt, tennis shoes

Middle Class: jeans, fairly nice t-shirt, dress shoes, and a sports jacket or vest

High Class: 3-piece suit

If the people you are performing for are wearing tuxes and nice dressed... dress the same, you can't really dress any nicer than that.

I'm sorry, but when did we start learning human values from internet boards?

If people don't know this stuff then I really want them out of magic. Sorry, but it's true.

Ty

I agree with your post, but this is putting someone down also.
if it takes you that long to type a negitive response out to someone (everyone in general that you did) what is the true point of ur post?

no I dont want people to agree with me and dissagree with -Ty, as that is not what I'm looking for, I'm just pointing out that it can come across as hurtful to someone. I have seen MANY posts filled with tips like this and they can be very helpful, and I appreciate the people who take the time do type them, and then there are some like this, and I think if you dont like dont bring it across as negitve, just shrug and move on.

Happy Halloween, Dayton.

Jul 4, 2011
Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Personal hygiene checklist

Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results