What has magic done to you? Share your story.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Every day, we get letters. Some of them are from members that need help with an order. Some of them are from members that need help with a trick. Some of them are from members who offer us free prescriptions to male enhancement products. Okay, I think that last type is just junk mail. But I appreciate it nonetheless. I digress.

The most meaningful type of letter we receive is from members who tell us what magic has done for them. How it changed their life. How it propelled them to go from a reserved, quiet person to being social and outgoing - or earned them a reputation. How it helped them meet new people and make new friends, in and out of the magic community, online and offline. Or simply how it provided a passion that they have pursued for years to come.

Magic is unique. We're preparing a special project here at theory11, and we want to know what effect magic has had on YOU. How has learning magic changed you? How has magic - and how has theory11 specifically - directly affected your life? What did it feel like performing your first effect in magic? What does it feel like when you perform a trick today? Why is theory11 - as an instructional resource and as a community - unique?

Please limit responses to 200 words maximum, and include your FIRST name and location (state/country) so we can get a true picture of who you are and what magic means to you. Submissions should be sent to effectofmagic@theory11.com. If you would like to post your submission in response to this thread, you can absolutely do so as well. Note that all submissions may be posted around the theory11 site.

What has magic done to you?

Jan 28, 2009
Belgium, Antwerp
meaning.

Most people who do magic do this becous they want to change, they don't want to be shy, they want to have more confidence, want to meet new people, want to be popular and make friends.

now of these where a problem to me before and I always had good social skills but I didn't really care becous I still had this empty feeling. I still do sometimes but magic has helpt me find myself, becous now every time I feel sad, I feel missunderstood, when things don't go the way I want them to, I have magic. don't get me wrong it's not like I just go practicing I do preform form people at those moments. and seeing them smile and just leaving there word and stepping into ours makes me feel happy.

as for theory11, this is a place for us magicians (epecially those of my age) to talk with people about things we can't with others (magic wise).

I love the comunity (well the ones who are able to apriciate magic).

when I grow up I wan't to be a Magician and I think that Theor11 and all the people who really, really love magic help me with that.

Gianni.

Lier/Belgium.

sorry for the spelling (I live in Belgium)

Dec 14, 2007
Because this is an interesting point, I will make a comment that might help direct posts in a more meaningful direction.

When I read the title, at first I took issue with the word 'to'. I don't think magic does anything 'to' you. 'For' would be a better word.

But on further reflection, even that is untrue. Magic is an inanimate idea. Magic does not exist outside of a performer who brings it to light.

So really, the question is 'what had magic allowed you to do, be, or become?'.

As phrased, the questions directs people to focus on 'magic.'. Magic isn't what people care about. Magic isn't what touches people's live. Magic doesn't grow or change.

People care about people. People touch people's lives. People grow and change.

Of course, magic can be a catalyst for positive (and negative) change. But ultimately, anything meaningful will be about the person, not the trick.

So, perhaps we should be asking; what has magic allowed you to be?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Ah 200 words is not nearly enough to express my gratitude but i shall try :).

M.

If it's a little bit longer than that, don't worry - we just wanted to provide a general idea of what length we were looking for. Looking forward to seeing more submissions!

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Since I can remember, I've always been shy. I played baseball to try to fit in and then I broke my elbow so no more sports forever. I noticed that there were countless kids doing the same thing as the next one over and I didn't want to be a clone amongst the crowd where I lived. So when I saw David Blaines Street Magic special some 4 years ago, I got hooked. I finally found myself at ease. I was a naturally odd kid anyway. I wasn't like every other kid anyway so I thought, why the hell not? It's not like every kid and his dog decided to run down the street yelling, Hey ma, look at my new trick. From then on, magic let me be me. I can do things others cant and provide people with the joy of astonishment each and every day. Theory 11 provides a great service to ambitious magicians and lets them connect with others who share the dream. Thanks T11.

Jan 10, 2008
Just submitted mine, I kept it very brief, but without even meaning to I nailed it at exactly 200 words!

Two points for me! ;)

Apr 19, 2010
Cumbria, UK
When i first got involved with the Art of Magic i was a very shy person, i was not fully understood and as i sat and took a backseat in life i realised that i didnt have a great skill, a passion. I seen everybody else in life and realised that they all had that special 'Something', something special that they relied on and were renown because of...a great hobby that defined who they were, I didnt have this. As i carried on my simple life of trial and error, trying to find that one thing that would eventually fill that gaping hole inside of me that desperately needed filling, i discovered the beautiful art of Magic. And from that day onwards, almost five years ago, the art form that had never been known to me, had completely taken over my life, Like a vine on the side of the lonely cottage..it got bigger and bigger and bigger. And now that deep metaphorical hole inside me no longer exists, it filled on that one fateful day when i picked up a deck of cards out of pure boredom.

Magic changed me, it taken over my life and became a part of me..I am no longer a shy and nervous person, im am an outgoing and social person. All it took was that one look of pure astonishment on my fathers face all those years ago to set me on my journey of self discovery into that wonderful art we all call Magic. That gaping hole is now filled.

------------------------

Thanks for reading, i tried to make it quite an interesting read and i hope you appreciated it.

Thanks

P.S, Im Jack from the United Kingdom

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
How it propelled them to go from a reserved, quiet person to being social and outgoing - or earned them a reputation.

This is very very true for me and i also think this is the case for 90% of the members here. Basically i was the type of person that keeps his opinions for himself, i was shy and didn't talk much, and this didn't help either as i had just moved and had to switch High School. I was introduced to magic like 3 months prior to that but never thought of actually performing it for strangers. But one day at school, i was sitting quietly in my corner and saw two guyz with cards, one was doing tricks for the other. I started watching from a distance and finally approached them and asked them for the deck, they gave it to me and i did the Triumph effect ... they were astonished and i was really really happy that i actually fooled them. The next day they asked me again to perform for them, and same thing the following day. That's what got me started, it inspired me to learn some more and I was practicing like crazy when i got home just to be at my best. Then i started bringing one deck of cards at school, the following months i started carrying 3 decks and a bag of gimmicks... I was starting to get out of my shell as I HAD talk while performing. But some of the tricks that made me well known at school as the "magician" was : The ash on arm trick, pressure (done 1.5 years ago and people still talk about it) and the svengali deck ...

Magic is really something that changed my life. I made a LOT of friends who were my spec. at times and i also get to meet new people most of the time. I was also surprised to know that people that i never met before knew i was "crazy" at doing card "tricks". So yeah i was a very shy kid who went through a "magical journey" and now i can shout somebody's name from the other side of the room not caring what other people think. Magic also helped me meet some hot chicks ... ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results