Longitudinal Shift

I'm posting this here because I want critiques on it. Anyone familiar with the move please post up.

Disclaimer: The elongated pauses are just because I am doing the move repeatedly and I want you to be able to observe and critique me to the fullest! In performance It would be more rapid and less get ready.\

[video=youtube;lxqeKJzSvNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqeKJzSvNk[/video]

Jan 31, 2010
I'm not sure if the pause you mean is exactly after the shift. If it's not, then I think it would be better to try and cut that time down. It's also somewhat loud, but friction is friction.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Excellent work!

Just a couple of small points. On a couple of the shifts, there was a noticable flaring of the right thumb. I've found that this can be reduced by raising the thumb before the move is executed, so only the tip contacts the packet. This effectively achieves the same thing as Erdnase's instruction to "bring the right thumb against the side of the first finger". Then, if the thumb is relaxed as the shift is made, the packet glides beneath it, without it having to move away to the side.

The only other thing is regarding noise. I've noticed that the further back you curl your left index finger beneath the deck, the more the noise will be reduced. This is because the pressure is more horizontal, and less vertical, so there is less friction between the packets.

Sep 25, 2010
While reading erdnase i sometimes got to the point where i asked myself why its necessary to practise moves that could be done easier and with way better angles. Do you know the answer? I dont.

Sep 2, 2007
London
While reading erdnase i sometimes got to the point where i asked myself why its necessary to practise moves that could be done easier and with way better angles. Do you know the answer? I dont.

I assume you're talking about the shifts here, specifically the SWE, Open and Longitudinal. I don't think any of the other moves could really be considered hard or with bad angles when compared to alternative methods. If my assumption is correct there are several answers to your question. They are thus:

1. Each technique gives you the opportunity to study the mechanics of shifts, mechanics which can be applied to other moves that you may consider more practical.
2. In the right circumstances, the exposed position of the deck in the SWE, Open or Longitudinal Shifts is very disarming and can give an apparent transparancy to your actions which is lacking in other shifts.
3. If you perform the moves as described, there isn't really a lot out there that has "way better angles".
4. Erdnase and Dai Vernon knew what they were talking about, and if they liked the moves, then that could be seen as a good enough reason to practice them.
5. They're fun. The sense of achievement in tackling hard moves can be an end in itself.

There you go. Hope that helped.

Not everyone studies erdnase, but those who do know what that if you really study the book, there isn't anything better to be had. Some of the moves might not be the most practical in all situations (but then again, what move is?), but the messages presented in the book will make you 10x better if you only listen to them, and apply them.

Jul 7, 2010
Pretty good. The noise problem has been stated, I just wanna say that I found that as a problem too, but it's still good.

What I also can say is, that this is definitely better than your SWE shift, not saying that your SWE shift is bad, though.

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results