Review of Magic Series 2011 Part 2 - Shane Black

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
"Magic Series Part 2 offers some great practical effects. Do NOT pass these up as "throw aways". These are real workers, as Shane has used them for years entertaining audiences in a loud venue. "

"This is simple magic that hits hard visually. Matched is similar to the classic match book trick found in most library books, only this is vamped up another notch with a wicked vanish of the match before it returns. CTB live is going to play very well for me because I was already familiar with a similar effect that utilizes a very similar principle. This opens up a new door for me. Swiftly is a nice vanish of a playing card that you could use at the end of any signed card or ambitious routine. All three of these effects can be learned within a day or two and are not knuckle busters that you'll give up on."

Looking forward to next month. Keep it up Shane!

Jan 16, 2008
Ahhh reverhart beat me to it. Sorry Shane I thought you wanted to keep EVERYTHING tightly underground so didn't even consider reviewing your wonderful effects.

What an astounding gift Shane as given the magic community with these free "give-aways". From the structure of the effects, I can clearly tell that these visual pieces are workers; although, as he put it, these tricks are strictly eye-candy and contain no "built-in" patter or plot, they are SOME eye-candy!

Matched is a match book trick that made me extremely jealous of countries with matchbooks (Hong Kong does not). It packs so terribly small, yet in a casual setting can be a real conversation starter; a minute miracle of sorts. This is a classic trick on steroids, and the match vanish is truly the icing on the cake.

CTB live is not really my kind of trick, yet it is well thought out, and can be considered an utility move rather than a complete routine in and of itself. Quite a useful move I must say. Practical, practically angle-free, and easy. It takes guts to execute, but in the right routine it is well worth the guts to try this move out.

Swiftly brought a grin to my lips. I have no idea why, but I found it amusing and pleasant to the eye. Who doesn't like an off-beat card vanish? No awkward palming or whatnot, just a palm-to-palm rub and...no more pasteboard. Simple. I wouldn't dare say I would use it, because it's a tad knacky, and it DOES require certain clothing, but when the situation arises, I will definitely try this out for fun. Thanks for this treat Shane =)

::The Teaching
Just as a sub-category I would like to compliment Shane on his precise teaching; there is absolutely no fluff at all, yet he answered all of my questions perfectly as to hand position, angles, etc. The quality was clear, the angles were very fitting to the teaching itself, and one beautiful thing is that Shane's eyes bore deep into my soul when he taught me...I felt like I was having a 1-on-1 moment with him. I love his eyes. They draw me deep...well that is for another time. You should most definitely check out his next Part (Part 3) -- if not for his awesome magic, then at least for his enticing eyes.

That's all I have to say for now. Really looking forward to the next part Shane! Keep up the amazing work.
Thanks.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I really loved Matched personally. Very nice, clean vanish, probably something I will use eventually. CTB live was also very well thought out and very cool also. Startling and visual.

Swiftly wasn't really my taste, but if I had a use for a deckless stand up card vanish, this would be what I would use. Very clever, made me smile.

Good job Shane for this awesome offer!

Dec 27, 2009
Here goes my review:

Matched: This vanish is completely insane! Imagine vanishing a match without any movement, visually and cleanly without almost any sleight of hand. Then you get matched! Shane shows it as an improvement in the classic match to matchbook trick. 4.5/5 (just because you need an extra gimmick, that you probably have in your drawer)

CTB Live: This is Shane's take on card through box. The advantage in this version is that you can show both sides of the box before the penetration. The angles here are pretty decent so I give this a 4/5. It sparked my interest in card through box.

Swiftly: This is a really smooth deckless card vanish that happens as you rub both of your hands together. It's totally impromptu and it's a great idea, but it requires special clothing so i give this 4/5.

Teaching: The teaching here is PERFECT! It looks like shane is teaching the tricks to you live, really detailed and chilled. 5/5

Overall: This is a great giveaway from shane and I'm really sad that I missed the first one... Can't wait for next month!

Thanks Shane!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results