Yesterday's Gig - Bring on the Rain!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
So every worker knows that eventually if you perform enough shows, things are going to happen beyond your control.

Yesterday I was performing at a 4 year olds birthday party which the client insisted be outdoors and the weather looked fabulous for Ohio weather...ha ha. They wanted a half hour show followed by balloons, which is the typical show I do most of the time for $125.00

I arrived at 4:40 and the show was to begin at 5:00 p.m. in the back yard. I set up by Ultimate Gig Case and side table, setting out my props: Stratosphere, Change Bag, Spongeballs, Rope, Jumbo Cards, etc. I'm 20 minutes into my show and am starting my cut and restored rope routine. Everything up til this point was going well.

I began to feel a few sprinkles of rain and the clouds started to roll in. Oh crap. This doesn't look good. I cut the rope and as soon as I restored it and held the piece up in the air as one....BAM...down came the rain as hard and fast as you could imagine. Kids took off running in all directions....Parents were gathering up things in the yard....and there I stood holding my piece of rope getting drenched....THIS WAS A FIRST....ha ha.

The client ran into the house and came back with a big golf umbrella and held it over my head while i frantically through props back into my case as fast as I could without breaking or damaging them. What a mess! The client has now seen the extra ball in my stratosphere tube, and a few other gaffed props, ugh....there was nothing I could do.

We carried all of my things into the house as kids were running around soaked and the parents were just standing there staring at me like, "Now what?". The wife of the child looked pissed off and I graciously told her I would continue the show in the living room. She declined and said, "Just please start making balloon animals for the children..." I busted out balloon swords, hats, flowers, dogs, etc. and soon all children were happy again. My suit was drenched. Afterward, I packed up my things and apologized to the client about what had happend and felt terrible that the rain had ruined the last 2 effects that were yet to come in my show. I felt so bad I even offered 25 bucks back to them but they said, "No...please...it wasn't your fault."

The husband helped me load my gear into my explorer and I drove home feeling horrible. Here are these people who just paid for a show and balloons and the rain ruined the last 10 minutes. I called 2 of my professional working buddies and explained the situation and they said NEVER offer money back to a client based upon the weather.
They told me to think about the time it took me to pack, drive their (gas), set up time, 20 minutes of show, balloons, tear down and drive back home. And...they asked me, "Did you offer to continue the show indoors...?" I replied, "Yes...but they declined." My buddies said that I had done the right thing and to don't offer money back. I still feel horrible

Luis? Draven? Reality One? Have any of you had anything similar to this happen? If so please share.

rain is a pain , but your not god, and nothing could prepare you (weather.com doesnt help). The only thing that could have done was the parents note the weather and plan on doing the show inside. Its not your fault, not to point fingers, but the client should have planned on a rain alternative. My girlfriend is sitting with me and she says its not your fault either, and if they didnt really care too much not to worry. you did balloons and most of your act. I feel you did a great job and you always do.
dont worry about it :) remember, you learn something new each show>!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey Man!!

Well...As you said before..it´s wasn´t your fault...since well....it´s rain...also you did everything you could to act profesional and even offered a refund...but to be honest...it was only 10 min less?..I personally think it was ok...the show wasn´t actually ruined...also...assuming they would have tell you to continue inside...it´s a pain to actually re-arrange everything again in the living room and also in front of the kids that could have seen all the secrets...it was for the best...

And...no..fortunately nothing like this hasn´t happened to me before...but I think I could have acted the same way...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Chris, it was a tough call because when I arrived it was hot and sunny out and everyone thought it was ok to do it outside but you are right..ha ha..I couldn't have prevented the rain and so i did what I could. You are correct. You learn something new every time out performing.

Luis, you are right...for me to reset all of my items right in front of the kids "couldn't" have happened because they would have seen a lot of things they should not have. Luis....be prepared my friend because if you do enough shows outside "weather" is eventually going to ruin something at some point.

Talk to you guys soon. Thanks for replying.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Nothing like that has ever happened to me either, but I think you handled it correctly. I can't think of anything you could have done different.

Did you case and props get damaged by the rain?

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
Hey man, I know I was not invited in this, but wanted to jump in. You handled it perfectly. I had a gig yesterday with Balloons and magic and both went great, except for too hot outside. It was the other extreme of you and the balloons were popping because the kids were leaving them in the sun.

Mom was probably mad because she had wet people in her house. What did she think...you "magically" made it rain?

If you could do that, you should get more than $125.

Keep at it! It's all we can do.

I hope your props are not damaged!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey guys, luckily when I unpacked and checked all of my props everything seemed to be ok except the magic coloring book but mine was about ready to be replaced anyway. My new gig case was a tad wet but it dried out fine and all is well again.

Hepdini, anyone can jump in on my threads, I just threw out some names of guys I know on here that work pretty steadily and was wondering if any of them had this happen yet. Also, I have been in your exact situation as well when the weather has been SO HOT that my balloons were popping non stop during a 3 hour balloon gig. Not fun and the line of kids goes on forever and the parents are mad because the balloons keep popping. The best thing I have learned to do is put the balloons in a cooler with a towel over them and then and ice pack on top of the towel. The darkness and cooler temp seems to help a little.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I you really want to do something, you can offer them a discount on next year show. Perhaps free 30 minutes of balloons or 15% off etc. The will also help snag that reply booking.

That stink tho!

Jan 29, 2008
The only way you can stop this from happening is to not perform outside. I'm in the corporate market so they don't really have gigs outside but sometimes people will have a company picnic....I always decline. Either it is too hot outside and you start sweating or the weather is horrible and it starts raining.

The hassle of performing outside isn't worth it

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
The only way you can stop this from happening is to not perform outside. I'm in the corporate market so they don't really have gigs outside but sometimes people will have a company picnic....I always decline. Either it is too hot outside and you start sweating or the weather is horrible and it starts raining.

The hassle of performing outside isn't worth it

OMG!! Benji you are here!! Glad to see you!! It´s gonna be great to have your expertise and experience here!!!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Benji,
Thanks for the reply, nice to have you hear. My predicament is that I am a school teacher Benji and that I book about 75% of my gigs during my summer months off which is June, July and August. I would say every single Birthday party, company picnic, etc. is outdoors because of it being summer. If I declined every gig that was going to be outdoors I wouldn't have much going on. I see where you are coming from though because heck yeah it is nice to entertain indoors with air conditioning and no chance of rain.

Jan 29, 2008
Rick I understand that a lot of entertainers have to do outdoor events (especially family entertainers) and I think you handled it pretty well since it has never happened to you before.

But next time you need to make it clear to them that they need a back up plan if it works. Just ask them, before the event, what will they do if the weather is bad.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You are correct, and even in my contract I state that if there is rain, where is the event to be held. The client said the garage, but then chose not to clean it out because of the weather being hot and sunny earlier that day. Oh well. In a way I guess it was kind of their fault for not preparing. It was just a weird situation because for the first 20 minutes of the show it was hot, sunny, and 85 degrees out, then all of the sudden the weather took a change for the worse within minutes. Ohio weather is insane.

Thanks for coming to the boards Benji and I hope to learn valuable information from you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results