Poster Ideas

Nov 27, 2009
Here are five different ideas for a poster, ad, thingy that I'm developing to go on the door of a restaurant where I have a gig. At the moment this is the best photo I have for this purpose, but I'm working on getting something better. The header text is exactly what I want it to be, but anything related to design is flexible at this point. Which one do you guys like? What could I do differently to make it more professional?

poster1.jpg
The original concept. I like the black and white here with the tie accented.
poster5.jpg
And... in full color.
poster2.jpg
My dad said the poster didn't convey "entertainer" and needed something else. He suggested a deck of cards.
poster3.jpg
One of the last concepts I came up with. My mom likes this one best.
poster4.jpg
And... full color.

On second thought... Here are 2 other photos that might work in this situation. I don't have photos of me with any sort of magical prop, but if I did that would be an obvious first choice. Would either of these photos work better in this design? Or do any of you have any ideas for something else?

DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg

I used to do graphic design all the time, but now magic has take the place of design, and I've lost some of my "inspiration" and my eye for design, which is kinda sad, oh well.

I like the second to last picture with the black and white wall and the cards behind your head best. It seems the most professional and in my opinion the best looking. I wouldn't use the other two pictures with the jacket over your shoulder unless your shooting for a more casual look though.

May 24, 2011
I like the third one the best. The card spread behind the text helps it pop without overpowering it. It also deals with the negative space without being too busy. As for the photo, I like the B&W with just a splash of color.

Nov 8, 2007
The main suggestion I have for you is change "Magician & Entertainer." Separating them suggests a magician is not an entertainer and that they are two separate things. It also conveys that magic in itself is not a form of entertainment. Also, "Magician" is very specific while "Entertainer" is vague and conveys nothing. Otherwise, I'm partial to the black and white. I agree there's something lacking in the poster, but I'm not sure the deck spread is the answer. Feels too cliche'. Looking good though for a first poster!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I like Number 4, the one your mom likes but I'm with Matt on this one. You don't need Magician and Entertainer. One or the other. The other thing I don't like is...Sleight of Hand By....

I dont think you really need a title and the word By....just sounds like you are writing a theme paper or something for class.

Nov 27, 2009
Good advice. Thanks guys! I'll change the wording based on your suggestions.

@Mat. The deck is cliché, I agree, but I'm a card guy so it fits who I am and what I do. I can't think of anything that wouldn't be cliché here. The other things that come to mine are the Cups and Balls, coins, or sponges, and those are cliché as well as far as I'm concerned. Plus I don't really think any of those would fit here.

Nov 27, 2009
Here's another idea for the wording.

Jonathan Gilson
Sleight of Hand Artist
Prepare to be Amazed

The styling would follow the current scheme, i.e, "Jonathan Gilson" would look like "Sleight of Hand" does in the current design and so on down the lines.

Some tips!!!

Hey Jonathan!!!

This might sound ugly but none of the designs are good (IMHO) and here are the reasons for my opinion:-
1). The quality of the over all poster looks not very professional. You don't want people to judge you in wrong way(amateur that is). Maybe you can hire a designer to deck up your poster which will make your poster look like some hollywood or Ellusionist release!!!

2). The fonts are not catchy. The font/copy/headline should burn the name of the performer in one glance!

3). There's no pictorial message in the poster. If you take out all the fonts then it impossible to know that its a poster for a magician. So maybe a little bit of magic gesture or some magic props incorporated might help

Hope this helps!!!

M.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results