Classic pass for beginners?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Hey everyone,

I've never really practiced the pass in all my years of card handling, and as I've been performing more recently, I decided it would be a useful technique to have. I'm planning on consulting the Erdnase and Royal Road texts, but the video by Jason England and the Brick Pass by Alex Pandrea both seem valuable resources. Do you guys have any suggestions for learning the move? I have pretty much no prior experience with it, but I can spread pass and turnover pass (I'm considering getting the Blue Crown download on this too. Help!)

Ian

Apr 2, 2010
Louisiana
Hey everyone,

I've never really practiced the pass in all my years of card handling, and as I've been performing more recently, I decided it would be a useful technique to have. I'm planning on consulting the Erdnase and Royal Road texts, but the video by Jason England and the Brick Pass by Alex Pandrea both seem valuable resources. Do you guys have any suggestions for learning the move? I have pretty much no prior experience with it, but I can spread pass and turnover pass (I'm considering getting the Blue Crown download on this too. Help!)

Ian

The Brick Pass DVD (make sure you get the DVD not the individual download) includes both the turnover pass and the brick pass. I can honestly say that the DVD is the best $20.00 I've spent in a while. Helped my passes tremendously.

Dec 29, 2011
Get Englands, its the same for cheaper. Or you could pre order Mystery Marks Practical Pass DVD, which is a modern reinvention of the pass, designed to be actually useful, in comparison to the old one.

Dec 29, 2011
I have England's, but not Pandrea's. This is my personal opinion, but I hate Alex Pandrea, from the reviews I've read and opinions of people I respect, sure if you're looking to learn the pass, Pandrea's is fine, but if you already know it, then you wont learn anything, apparently he misses a few things. Obviously if you don't know it, then it wont really make a difference, but England's is definitely a good solid source to learn it, you wont go wrong if you get it. If you would rather a real DVD as opposed to download, then definitely preorder Mystery Marks DVD, it will be better than just about anything you can get on the pass, but as its a fully produced DVD, it will obviously cost more. you can preorder it here: http://itsestore.net/dvds/
Again, if you don't want to pay for a DVD, get Jason Englands download.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I used Expert at the Card Table and Jason England's 1on1 primarily. I think a lot of people get really caught up in learning the exact fine points right off the bat. I don't think that's entirely necessary. A lot of making the pass useful comes from using it over and over so that your hands naturally make the minor adjustments necessary to make it fit your particular hands.

Also, you could get a session with Aaron Fisher and he'll probably be able to set you on the right path pretty quickly.

Keep in mind that the pass is not something that people learn quickly for the most part. It's a large move, kind of clunky, from an era where cards were just thick paper without any kind of finish. It will probably take you a few months to get decent at it, even with experience in card handling. It'll take years to get 'perfect'.

Dec 29, 2011
I'll take a look at the 1-on-1, then, though I am eyeballing the false overhand shuffle, too. So many England controls!

All of Englands stuff is great, but if you haven't already get a pdf of Expert at the Card Table, it is no longer held in copyright so you can download it for free. It covers everything you need to know for the overhand and the many things you can do with it. Jason pretty much teaches what is in the book plus a few more things, but obviously its visual, so maybe a bit easier to learn.

Jul 13, 2010
Some resources for the pass:
Some Books:
- EATCT (Erdnase)...it`s public domain, so you can get it for free.
- Miracles with Cards (James Swain)...he gives some very good advices for the classic pass
- Card Classics of Ken Krenzel (Harry Lorayne)...Best description of the pass I´ve read. It`s a great book to have.
- Card College Vol. 2 (Roberto Giobbi)...Good description. He also gives performance tips.

Downloads/DVDs:
- The Classic Pass (Jason England)
- Brick Pass (Alex Pandrea)
- The Pass (Jonathan Kamm). This is my favorite resource for learning the CP.
http://www.newmobileme.com/johnatha.../2010/2/26_The_PassProfessional_Tutorial.html

Nov 27, 2009
I learned the pass from Royal Road and my mentor. I definitely recommend getting the advice of your magic buddies who already know the move. They can help you work on anything you're doing wrong, and believe me, there's a lot to get wrong.

Once I had the basic mechanics down I worked on the finer points of the move until my pass looked very little like what is described in the text in some ways, and in others it mirrors the text exactly. My left hand grip is different from what the book describes, but the right hand is similar.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
You guys have been FANTASTIC with advice! I'm drawing from England's 1-on-1 primarily but also Erdnase and Royal Road. I'm looking into the Brick Pass next. I'd love to get a session with Aaron but it costs so darn much!

Chris, what do you think of Kamm's tutorial? I'm curious.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results