Time trapper clock

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Welcome to the world of the surreal.

Enough of the Kindness Part, time for me to roar. . . (you'll get used to it, it's what I do)

If you haven't read Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic you need to stop where you're at and back up. Mentalism isn't like magic. . . it's not "tricks". When presented properly it can be enough to start a new religion (and has, more than a few times). There are a couple of FREE Resources for you to grab while you're at it. . .

MENTALISM: A Resource & Guide
Learning Cold Reading
The Swami

These 3 PDFs will give you a foundation as well as understanding of some basic tools used in Mentalism. You will likewise find a couple of rather long lists pointing you to other books you will want to invest in when it comes to cultivating your Mentalism skills.

I'm going to assume that you're not just new but young, mainly because of the purchase in question. There are similar effects that can be done without that plastic sleeve and with incredible freedom that you will be able to do just by studying what I share in those 3 booklets. There are other systems that sell for hundreds and even thousands of dollars that deliver the same general effect, even ways by which to make someone else's watch reveal the thought of time... gimmick free.

I'm pointing this out to you so you can take in a deep breath and realize that this is a very big step you're taking and it may be wise to take things slow and learn the foundation material first. It will keep you from wasting tons of cash and better prepare you when it comes to delivering Psi styled effects in a casual and setting.

If you are in fact new to magic there are some other preliminary books you will want to start with, well before you dive into Mentalism; The Mark Wilson and/or Tarbell Course in Magic are item #1 followed by the Bill Tarr NOW YOU SEE IT; NOW YOU DON'T books on slight-of-hand and from there Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and finally The Royal Road to Card Magic (just don't get addicted to card tricks, it's a nasty habit). Then there is Magic & Showmanship, especially if you want to do Mentalism; it's a dry read but packed with very important information.

It will take you a minimum of a year to two years to complete these foundation texts. Then you can come back to Mentalism if you feel that's your real calling. Most will not given what they find in the other aspects of magic as well as their own discovered logic, fears and phobias. . . simply put, very few people can do Mentalism in the manner it was originally designed to be done. . . most will do Mental Magic, which is highly commercial and far more viable than the other. . . it looks more like a "Magic Show" than traditional Psychic Entertainment does.

Now get out of here and go study. . .

Oct 19, 2012
bangalore
Welcome to the world of the surreal.

Enough of the Kindness Part, time for me to roar. . . (you'll get used to it, it's what I do)

If you haven't read Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic you need to stop where you're at and back up. Mentalism isn't like magic. . . it's not "tricks". When presented properly it can be enough to start a new religion (and has, more than a few times). There are a couple of FREE Resources for you to grab while you're at it. . .

MENTALISM: A Resource & Guide
Learning Cold Reading
The Swami

These 3 PDFs will give you a foundation as well as understanding of some basic tools used in Mentalism. You will likewise find a couple of rather long lists pointing you to other books you will want to invest in when it comes to cultivating your Mentalism skills.

I'm going to assume that you're not just new but young, mainly because of the purchase in question. There are similar effects that can be done without that plastic sleeve and with incredible freedom that you will be able to do just by studying what I share in those 3 booklets. There are other systems that sell for hundreds and even thousands of dollars that deliver the same general effect, even ways by which to make someone else's watch reveal the thought of time... gimmick free.

I'm pointing this out to you so you can take in a deep breath and realize that this is a very big step you're taking and it may be wise to take things slow and learn the foundation material first. It will keep you from wasting tons of cash and better prepare you when it comes to delivering Psi styled effects in a casual and setting.

If you are in fact new to magic there are some other preliminary books you will want to start with, well before you dive into Mentalism; The Mark Wilson and/or Tarbell Course in Magic are item #1 followed by the Bill Tarr NOW YOU SEE IT; NOW YOU DON'T books on slight-of-hand and from there Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and finally The Royal Road to Card Magic (just don't get addicted to card tricks, it's a nasty habit). Then there is Magic & Showmanship, especially if you want to do Mentalism; it's a dry read but packed with very important information.

It will take you a minimum of a year to two years to complete these foundation texts. Then you can come back to Mentalism if you feel that's your real calling. Most will not given what they find in the other aspects of magic as well as their own discovered logic, fears and phobias. . . simply put, very few people can do Mentalism in the manner it was originally designed to be done. . . most will do Mental Magic, which is highly commercial and far more viable than the other. . . it looks more like a "Magic Show" than traditional Psychic Entertainment does.

Now get out of here and go study. . .

Wow!! Your words opened my eyes man. I have read about half of 13 steps to mentalism and i dont know any thing about the other book you mentioned . And in christmas and new year i got some extra bucks and i was thinking of buying Richard Osterlind's 13 steps to mentalism dvd , so what do i think of that ? Are the dvds good for beginners like me??

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Wow!! Your words opened my eyes man. I have read about half of 13 steps to mentalism and i dont know any thing about the other book you mentioned . And in christmas and new year i got some extra bucks and i was thinking of buying Richard Osterlind's 13 steps to mentalism dvd , so what do i think of that ? Are the dvds good for beginners like me??

Here is an excellent review of "Richard Osterlind's 13 steps to mentalism dvd":
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?27045-Corinda-s-13-Steps-to-Mentalism-DVD-My-Review

Mar 10, 2011
Can anyone please recommend me some mentalism dvds ??

Banachek's Psy Series is top notch when it comes to parlor/street mentalism. For something a little larger (or a simple alternative) check out Max Maven's work. I own "Nothing" and "Video Mind" and both are great. Nothing is especially good because all of the props he uses can be found at a wal-mart. And as always, Morgan Strebler is the go-to guy for modern metal bending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
"NOTHING" would be an excellent lesson for a novice, it will teach you how to better think like the Old School Mentalists who believed the best Magic Shops on the planet were Office Supply stores.

BUT, I really encourage you to avoid "easy fixes" for the moment and learn how to work with the material you already have and trust me, you have more than enough to start a career; there are people that have used little more than the memory based materials in Corinda and become successful entertainers & lecturers and even authors of legit books. I can't list the number of highly paid acts of the past to present who only used Billets or Swami Gimmicks and their understanding of the human animal (a.k.a. Cold Reading). In other words, LEARN HOW TO DO MENTALISM NOT TRICKS.

If you like Osterlind then I'd point you more towards his Easy to Master Mental Miracles than I would the 13 Step discs. In the DVD world, this series is one of the "MUSTS" in my book, for every novice and for that matter, all working pros could benefit having it in their library as a reference tool.

In that you seem to be uncertain just how far one can go knowing just a handful of techniques, I am going to encourage you to pick-up a Biographic work entitled Erik Jan Hanussen: Hitler's Jewish Clairvoyant. It's about a man that used one simple technique that's common to Mentalists as well as actual Psychics coupled with his understanding of people/human nature, hypnosis and a rather decent knowledge of the Zodiac & Numerology and with little more than this and showmanship, became one of the most powerful "psychics" of the early-mid 20th century and he wasn't the only one of that era to do so; Wolf Messing became one of Joseph Stalin's "hobbies" because of the uncanny things he could do using almost exactly the same skills as Jan Hanussen.

If the Christmas cash is burning a hole in your pocket I'd go for the Osterlind DVDs I just mentioned, the Hanussen book just so you can understand just how powerful Mentalism is over Magic. Then there is another I've not listed, SWITCHCRAFT from Elliot Bresler, in that it will take one of the most basic skills every Mentalist really needs to know, and will give you on-going tips and insights almost every 3 months like clock-work, at no additional charge. It's one of the wisest investments you can make when it comes to study material and the multitude of effects you can do with this one thing.

I think you simply need to see the greater scope of things without taking the easier path.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results