Stage Show

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
Hey Guys,

So, I've done many stage shows and performances but next week I'm going to be performing for over a hundred people. This will be my first performance of this scale. But, here's the catch, i can't perform with any cards what so ever, due to the policy of the facility. I mostly do card magic only. So I need your help. I need some suggestions of what to perform in the field of mentalism. I figured this would be the easiest field of magic for me to perform because ive had some experience with it, But i need to know what to perform. Any tips?

Thanks in advanced,

:: Yousaf Ejaz

Sep 1, 2007
But, here's the catch, i can't perform with any cards what so ever, due to the policy of the facility. I mostly do card magic only. So I need your help.

Why did you accept a show you weren't ready to do? Not something that really screams "professionalism."

I need some suggestions of what to perform in the field of mentalism.

I'm sorry, what?

I figured this would be the easiest field of magic for me to perform

No!

because ive had some experience with it, But i need to know what to perform. Any tips?

If you don't know what to perform, then no, you don't have experience with mentalism. What have you done besides cards?

Jan 22, 2012
When is the actual performance? Go to a magic shop and ask their opinion on what they can provide you. Mentalism is no0t easy so I dont know why you think that.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yikes, I am with Steer on this one. If you are asking for suggestions on what to perform for next week's stage show you aren't even remotely close to having an act / show ready.

That is definitely not very professional on your part to take the show when you knew you didn't have props and or effects ready to roll. Without even knowing what you are performing, then I'm probably correct in saying you don't have a script ready either.

You my friend are in a hell of a mess. Good luck. If I were you I would back out if possible and help the client find another magician.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
If you haven't caught on yet, YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN THE JOB!

If an agent or talent buyer hires YOU and YOU are what they get. . . the act that you do. If they want you to do something else then point them to the team that does that act or charge them 35% more up front so you can run out and pull said act together, reminding them that it won't be up to snuff because you didn't have the requisite 12+ weeks to get your sh** together.

MENTALISM?

What makes you think you can do Mentalism?

What you would deliver is a Magic Show with a Mental theme and it wouldn't really hook the audience because you will be doing it exactly as you would a magic show and magic tricks. . . Which Mentalism Isn't!

Mentalism is a presentation heavy art form that is RELATED TO magic but not one in the same thing as magic. The biggest nuance being that the public knows that Magicians do tricks but a Mentalists presents things as being real, whether he's playing on the Psychological angle of things or that of the Psychic; either way we invoke belief and pull the audience into what we are doing so they can EXPERIENCE IT vs. a magic show that can be "watched" passively.

Mentalism requires a reasonable understanding of psychology and people reading skills that aren't for the faint of heart. On top of that you have to know what your claim is and know how to structure your act so it fits to that claim. . . a Telepath for an example, cannot tell someone how much change they have in their pocket UNLESS the person pulls it out and counts it . . . BUT, you're pondering, "I've seen acts do this".

Yes you have. . . you've seen Clairvoyant or Remote Viewers do this; people that claim to see that which is hidden or concealed, not a person that discerns unspoken thought.

See the difference?

Once you know your claim you must create at least a 20 minute program that addresses only that claim; if you try to do too much you will come off looking like a fraud. . . look at all the toads out there that do a blindfold, key & spoon bends, stopping watches, drawing duplications and hypnosis. . . ever notice how many of them aren't working and when they do it's usually low end facilities at nominal rates???

They're a dime a dozen wannabe that won't listen. Fortunately 3 of the top players in the Mentalism game here and at E have called me or corresponded with me for some time now, so they could polish their material and do it right. That's not saying that I have all the answers (I don't), but it does mean that I know a wee bit about what I'm talking about. If you had a solid month and the willingness to put some serious time into learning the act during the course of that month, you might be able to pull it off. As things stand I'd strongly encourage you to find a handful of bits that play big, pack small and do a conventional magic act. If you have a girl that will help you out, dig out that Mark Wilson book and make yourself an Arabian Tent illusion . . .

I'd gladly help you figure out a simple 20 minute set but you won't be able to deliver a solid show given the shortness of time, the lack of supplies, and your lack of experience. You really should tell the client this and suggest they contact someone else for the engagement BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT READY

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
If you haven't caught on yet, YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN THE JOB!

If an agent or talent buyer hires YOU and YOU are what they get. . . the act that you do. If they want you to do something else then point them to the team that does that act or charge them 35% more up front so you can run out and pull said act together, reminding them that it won't be up to snuff because you didn't have the requisite 12+ weeks to get your sh** together.

MENTALISM?

What makes you think you can do Mentalism?

What you would deliver is a Magic Show with a Mental theme and it wouldn't really hook the audience because you will be doing it exactly as you would a magic show and magic tricks. . . Which Mentalism Isn't!

Mentalism is a presentation heavy art form that is RELATED TO magic but not one in the same thing as magic. The biggest nuance being that the public knows that Magicians do tricks but a Mentalists presents things as being real, whether he's playing on the Psychological angle of things or that of the Psychic; either way we invoke belief and pull the audience into what we are doing so they can EXPERIENCE IT vs. a magic show that can be "watched" passively.

Mentalism requires a reasonable understanding of psychology and people reading skills that aren't for the faint of heart. On top of that you have to know what your claim is and know how to structure your act so it fits to that claim. . . a Telepath for an example, cannot tell someone how much change they have in their pocket UNLESS the person pulls it out and counts it . . . BUT, you're pondering, "I've seen acts do this".

Yes you have. . . you've seen Clairvoyant or Remote Viewers do this; people that claim to see that which is hidden or concealed, not a person that discerns unspoken thought.

See the difference?

Once you know your claim you must create at least a 20 minute program that addresses only that claim; if you try to do too much you will come off looking like a fraud. . . look at all the toads out there that do a blindfold, key & spoon bends, stopping watches, drawing duplications and hypnosis. . . ever notice how many of them aren't working and when they do it's usually low end facilities at nominal rates???

They're a dime a dozen wannabe that won't listen. Fortunately 3 of the top players in the Mentalism game here and at E have called me or corresponded with me for some time now, so they could polish their material and do it right. That's not saying that I have all the answers (I don't), but it does mean that I know a wee bit about what I'm talking about. If you had a solid month and the willingness to put some serious time into learning the act during the course of that month, you might be able to pull it off. As things stand I'd strongly encourage you to find a handful of bits that play big, pack small and do a conventional magic act. If you have a girl that will help you out, dig out that Mark Wilson book and make yourself an Arabian Tent illusion . . .

I'd gladly help you figure out a simple 20 minute set but you won't be able to deliver a solid show given the shortness of time, the lack of supplies, and your lack of experience. You really should tell the client this and suggest they contact someone else for the engagement BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT READY

Thanks for the kind words. I signed on for this show months before...... They told me to get a routine ready with cards becuase they know thats my specialty, only yesterday they told me that they had found out that im not allowed to use cards. Thank you all either way

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yousaf,
I understand your frustration, but man, it sure puts you in a predicament now to try and throw something together. If someone would have taken what I was good at and then a week before the show said I was NOT allowed to do such and such, I probably would have said then I am going to have to cancel on you. It is darn near impossible to try and "wing it" with new material you have not audience tested.
I guess at this point you need to find about 5 effects for the stage, nail them in the next few days and hopefully be able to drag each one out for 5-8 minutes.....ugh....I feel bad for you.

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
Yousaf,
I understand your frustration, but man, it sure puts you in a predicament now to try and throw something together. If someone would have taken what I was good at and then a week before the show said I was NOT allowed to do such and such, I probably would have said then I am going to have to cancel on you. It is darn near impossible to try and "wing it" with new material you have not audience tested.
I guess at this point you need to find about 5 effects for the stage, nail them in the next few days and hopefully be able to drag each one out for 5-8 minutes.....ugh....I feel bad for you.

Hey Rick,

Thank you for your thoughts, at this point there is no getting out of it sadly. But, I want to try to make the best of it! I'll go down to my local magic shop and figure out what is possible at this point. Thank you for your help. I will take what you and everyone else said to heart.

:: Yousaf

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Yousaf. . . think simple and think comedy. . . as I said, there are a lot of effects that give you time and can be played quite big such as Dean's Box, Paper Balls Over the Shoulder, I couldn't find a store link for it but I have a bit I'd gladly share with you involving this particular prop, drop me a note if you're interested (WARNING: It's funny as hell though it does require some costumes -- Doctor's Greens, Surgical type gown, and lots of production items such as linked sausages, rubber chickens, and any number of other oddities you might think of).

You may also look at bits that are a bit dated but that could work to your advantage; go to Magic Inc in Chicago and ask about the Chapo manuscript. . . Harry Anderson used to do this, it's a relic of a piece but is great for time and showing some creative wit.

Best of luck!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
If you are going to do the show rather than pass it off, I would suggest rather than grabbing new material, instead take tricks you already own and perform and make them bigger. It is a great exercise in creativity! Think through your favorite effects and brainstorm ways (even think through with a friend or post some of them here) to make them stage size. I don’t know what things you like doing outside of cards but just sit for a few hours and do some serious brainstorming. How long do you need to perform for?

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
If you are going to do the show rather than pass it off, I would suggest rather than grabbing new material, instead take tricks you already own and perform and make them bigger. It is a great exercise in creativity! Think through your favorite effects and brainstorm ways (even think through with a friend or post some of them here) to make them stage size. I don’t know what things you like doing outside of cards but just sit for a few hours and do some serious brainstorming. How long do you need to perform for?

I have to perform next thursday. I'll go down to my local magic shop and talk about it, non the less thank you for your help

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
Yousaf. . . think simple and think comedy. . . as I said, there are a lot of effects that give you time and can be played quite big such as Dean's Box, Paper Balls Over the Shoulder, I couldn't find a store link for it but I have a bit I'd gladly share with you involving this particular prop, drop me a note if you're interested (WARNING: It's funny as hell though it does require some costumes -- Doctor's Greens, Surgical type gown, and lots of production items such as linked sausages, rubber chickens, and any number of other oddities you might think of).

You may also look at bits that are a bit dated but that could work to your advantage; go to Magic Inc in Chicago and ask about the Chapo manuscript. . . Harry Anderson used to do this, it's a relic of a piece but is great for time and showing some creative wit.

Best of luck!

Thanks Craig!
Unfortunately, I don't live in Chicago, therefore I can't go to Magic Inc.
But, everything else you mentioned is good for this type of show.
So far, I think i'll perform a varation of Spidey's Celebrity match and Sneak Peak.

Again thank you so much!

:: Yousaf

Gypsy thread would be a good one. Not exactly comedy (I have never seen it done comedy) but a great trick for stage if you have the right lighting. If not then try a cut and restored string, more bits available for comedy with that really I've found. Also Paul Harris' Fizz Master is a great one you can pretty much do on the fly and is completely impromptu and is dead easy, its all just about the presentation.

Simon_Magic

Dec 29, 2011
Gypsy thread would be a good one. Not exactly comedy (I have never seen it done comedy) but a great trick for stage if you have the right lighting. If not then try a cut and restored string, more bits available for comedy with that really I've found. Also Paul Harris' Fizz Master is a great one you can pretty much do on the fly and is completely impromptu and is dead easy, its all just about the presentation.

Simon_Magic

If you do this, thread by Wayne Houchin can be funny, and can fit in nicely.

Sep 1, 2007
If you do this, thread by Wayne Houchin can be funny, and can fit in nicely.

No! Do not do shock magic or sideshow stunts unless that is specifically what you were hired to do. This is not negotiable. There is no faster way to guarantee you'll damage your reputation and get blacklisted from a venue than to offend the guests.

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
No! Do not do shock magic or sideshow stunts unless that is specifically what you were hired to do. This is not negotiable. There is no faster way to guarantee you'll damage your reputation and get blacklisted from a venue than to offend the guests.

I agree with steer.
I don't think they'd be too fond with me doing some thing like Saw by Sean Mills or Thread by Wayne Houchin.
I want to perform something direct and to the point. Something that they'll remember.

Y:E

Mar 27, 2010
A stage show with cards? i know im not helping but really, stage show with cards? i have seen only two people pull this off, Tamariz And Ricki Jay

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
A stage show with cards? i know im not helping but really, stage show with cards? i have seen only two people pull this off, Tamariz And Ricki Jay

I'd say you need to study your magic history a bit. . . Harry Houdini was known as the "King of Cards" long before he was known for his escape work; the Great Cardini was one of the more amazing acts in magic, much of what he created is still being used by traditionalist. Thurston and several others were known for scaling cards as is Princess Tenko in today's world and I believe Jeff McBride.

There's more than 100 card effects on the market that use over-sized cards so they can be seen by a theater styled audience and I couldn't begin to list the number of card routines that were deliberately created for the stage, including some rather expensive gadgets, balloon holders, cute little duckies that remove the chose card and more!

It is very possible to do 20 minutes with nothing other than playing cards and yes, you could be entertaining. . . not likely, but some people can pull it off (far more than you'd think . . . ever watch Max Maven?)

I loathe playing cards and 99% of all card effects because a.) too many illdisciplined magic lovers refuse to learn how to present them properly, let alone in a manner that is clean and polished; b.) far too many of us are addicted to the things and rarely look beyond the length of our own deck, to find an alternative piece of material that would more likely prove even more bewildering; c) magician's lean on playing cards because they are portable and easy to carry around, which is the wrong reason to consume yourself with them . . . by learning proper slights and force your mind to be creative using everyday items you will evolve in the public eye as being a "real" magician vs. the guy that has some cool card tricks. While many see me as an A-hole for holding to this POV many more have thanked me for waking them up and seeing beyond the deck.

I bring up this "issue" of mine for the sake of perspective however; if I can see how to do a 20 minute stage act that is nothing but playing cards given my loathing of the things, how much more do you think a lover of card magic can generate?

A SHOWMAN can deliver a show with nothing. Magic legend John Calvert once did a two hour show with a borrowed deck of cards, some rope and if I remember the story right, he had a chalk board. It's the kind of thing that makes you a legend in the minds of the public vs. your own delusion.

Enough. . .

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
So how did the show work out?

It went great! It may not seem so good to some of the advanced magicians, but, as my first stage show of this level I got the reaction I wanted.

I opened with the ring thing
then went into celeb match by spidey
and I closed with the 1089 Force. I had an envelope with the prediction 1089, i had two people come up one i did the force and the other was a stooge.

Ive gotten a good amount of future gigs from this so I'm happy with the result.

Thank you all for helping

/// Y:E ///

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results