Next step after basic beginner

Jun 17, 2013
I'm 15 years old and I've been at magic for about four months, learned basic sleight of hand and a basic magic set (Scotch and Soda, Spongeballs, etc)

I recently was sort of ripped-off at a NY magic shop (long story) and eventually discovered Theory11.

So, What do you suggest I buy as my "next step" after the basic magic set and sleight of hand, all for a sum of around $100. Thanks in advance!

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I hate to be that guy, but you need to read books, like the Royal Road to Card Magic and other books of that sort. I'm sure some of the more experienced magicians can tell you what books you need to read, but don't forget Jason England has a FREE called "What to Read" that would be good to get. Any Jason England stuff is general is good to get, like his Foundations download, his palming download, and his classic pass download, that teach the next sleights you'll want to learn, with some ticks to go with them. This might have been a better thread to put in General Discussion, but it works her too.

it's not as much fun a single flashy effects, But Card College or Royal Road to Card Magic are a must. As is Bobo's coin magic (if you're into coins) if you haven't already gotten it, Mark Wilson's complete course in magic is a great start for beginners. it has card magic, stage illusions and everything in between.

Whatever source you decide to learn from, make sure to practice and perform. perform as much as you can. so many young magicians (myself included) learned from youtube and never try to actually get any real world experience. And as a result your magic will suffer.

Jun 27, 2013
I would also advise Card College and Royal Road to Card Magic. However, while these should be the primary source of your knowledge I think there's nothing wrong with finding a DVD with somebody demonstrating some of these moves as when you're first starting out it can be difficult to visualise what they actually look like or to know if you're doing them to a suitable standard. I believe there may now be an accompanying Card College DVD which could be worth looking into.

JCB

May 12, 2013
Because you have only learnt the basics i suggest buying the easiest tricks and practising them to perfect the basics. First buy some small card tricks, to test your sleight of hand, then buy a few mentalism tricks, what this does is expand your range of magic, it allows you to learn tricks that you can perform in different situations. For example, say you forget you cards you have the skill to perform something that dosent involve cards. After you have tested what you know try out the more harder tricks and gradually you will move on to the advanced things in magic, but it will take time. The less you practice the longer it will take, the more you practice the shorter time it will take!

Sep 1, 2007
then buy a few mentalism tricks,

No! Mentalism is not something to be done because you forgot your deck of cards at home.

Just spend the 20 bucks for a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. That should keep you busy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results