Need a Teacher

Sep 4, 2013
Ok, so I live in the Northern Virginia area and I was wondering if anyone here knows of a person who would be able to actually help me in person. If you guys know of anyone please let me know! Thanks :)

Jul 27, 2013
It's rare that older magicians will teach you without a fee. A majority of modern day magicians buy stuff online utilizing the wire and dvd's they have bought. Friendly gestures in magic are not nonexistent, but usually the only way to learn without paying some sort of fee is if that person is your relative or you are friends with them at a moderate level or have a moderate level of magic foundations already lol.

That being said, Youtube has plenty of free tutorials with great effects on classic mechanics such as the Pass, Herman Pass, Turnover Pass, Color Changes, mentalism routines, classic coin mechanics. Youtube is a great place to start learning or just to bolster what you already know. If you want to go the classic way then go to the library and pick up some magic books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2013
Alright, thank you for the advice! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get to learning magic? Was it by doing all the stuff you listed (books, DVD's etc..)? Or did you have someone to help you? Just curious, thanks again :)

Apr 17, 2013
Look for the local TBM or SAM group you will find guys who are willing to teach for free Not all older guys charge. I have found when to go to Ring meetings they will show you stuff free of charge. To be honest the online learning is mostly younger guys who don't know or don't want to take the time to learn about the IBM or SAM. The on line/dvd guys are not the majority.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
It shocks me every time I see someone say that older magicians aren't willing to share their knowledge. As karb 1 says above search of a local IBM ring or S.A.M. The amount of stuff you can learn from attending meetings is simply amazing. Look for conventions that you can go to and find out where the nearest Magic lectures happen. A quick web search shows that Ring 50 meets in Alexandria, VA http://ibmring50.blogspot.ca/(I live in Canada and have poor geography skills so I don't actually have any idea how close that would be to Northern Virginia but seems more north than some cities) Looks like there is also a MYI there which may be worth checking out depending on your age.

Even if you can only go once as a guest do it to make the connections. Looks like there is a SAM assembly in Fairfax which says it is northern Va http://www.sam252.com/

DVD and video is great but pales in comparison to getting together with a live group

Apr 17, 2013
Not only will they share what they know for the price of Ring or Assembly dues (like $5 or $10 a year) most will have lectures through out the years that are either free to members or discounted. Some of the older members have been with the SAM or IBM for 20 or more years and have a large collection of books to lend or even copies of the Linking Ring or M-U-M they will give you to get them out of their hair. You can also search the SAM or IBM website for contacts in your area with out having to join either group.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
As one of those "Old Guys" that supposedly don't share . . . I'm betting you'll find an easy dozen people on this forum that will tell you different. . .

It is the obligation of we old farts to pass on what we've learned over the years. It is the oness of the neophyte however, to come to us somewhat prepared. That is to say, they should have made it through either the Mark Wilson or Tarbell courses in magic already or the Bill Tarr Now You See It; Now You Don't books. . . this is Magic 101 as far as I'm concerned and it is easy enough to know that these are expected starting points, especially in today's world of on-line forums. . . which btw. . . the IBM and SAM also host as do some of the more exclusive fellowships out there.

Getting an actual hands-on Mentor is not the same as getting a basic Magic Teacher however; mentors usually come to the student in some manner, not the other way around. Trust me, I've watched Vernon shrug people off and at the same time, give certain people more than their fair share of his time. You'll see this with many of the guys older than me in that they are tired and havent' time for wannabes. You have to prove yourself first and that takes us straight back to what I said and where I was pointing you to initially.

I've been quite blessed in life in that I've known dozens of amazing teachers but I've only had about a half-dozen or less "Mentors" the two primary (from my magician days) being Peter Pit and Kirk Kirkham with my chief Mentalism inspirations being the late Jack Dean and Millard Longman (with Bob Cassidy coming in close behind). Each of these people entered my life at different points in time and each guided me in contrasting but yet, similar ways. The thing is, I had to prove my worthiness and willingness to do whatever was asked of me and sometimes that meant helping move lots of heavy boxes in a warehouse to taking care of a pet while they went out of town for a while.

Hang in there!

Sep 1, 2007
That being said, Youtube has plenty of free tutorials with great effects on classic mechanics such as the Pass, Herman Pass, Turnover Pass, Color Changes, mentalism routines, classic coin mechanics. Youtube is a great place to start learning or just to bolster what you already know. If you want to go the classic way then go to the library and pick up some magic books.

YouTube tutorials usually look like they were filmed by a neanderthal with an extra chromosome. And the majority are made by dudes with no performing experience who show their face less than the Man in the Iron Mask. Stick with the library. At least the books there come with more recommendations than the creator's mom.

Aug 28, 2013
I agree, books written by experienced magicians are always better than YouTube tutorials. YouTube tutorials (as I see them), are teaching magic for people that do not want to get serious whit it, just a few tricks here and there, to impress a friend or two... So, if you don't have anybody to learn magic from, stick to books and DVDs.

Jul 27, 2013
YouTube tutorials usually look like they were filmed by a neanderthal with an extra chromosome. And the majority are made by dudes with no performing experience who show their face less than the Man in the Iron Mask. Stick with the library. At least the books there come with more recommendations than the creator's mom.
Let me clarify what I was saying because apparently my message was misconstrued in some manner or any other. My general impression was that this gentleman had no background in magic which is why he needed some sort of foundation. Youtube obviously shouldn't be the single handed thing which teaches you effects, but knowing the simple motion of various classical motions is important. Obviously there are plenty of other great places to find basic mechanics of magic, but no one can honestly criticize anyone's ability to teach when they are putting their own pride and knowledge out on the line to only be made fun of as seeming to be "inexperienced magicians". Many of the magicians who post their stuff on the Wire and the media section use Youtube as a medium to spread their own tricks,tutorials, and knowledge. I think it's unfair to criticize any source of knowledge aslong as this young magician gets a foundation from SOMEWHERE. It's a technological revolution for the spread of information. I think it's unfair to tell him to not use it... That being said YES there are plenty of older magicians who will take you on out of the 6 billion humans on the planet, but the chances of you finding one due to the fact that many brick and mortar magic shops are declining and finding someone who will teach a random person without knowing whether they actually have a foundation or a passion for magic is RARE. Can you honestly say that for young magicians who do not have access to local S.A.M.'s or IBM's will have the luxury to learn magic will find someone who is older and has experience in magic to teach them?

Let me clarify once more about my point: Youtube is a great place to start, so are books, so are dvds. In this technological age you should use any source of knowledge you can to get as much information as possible. As an occupational mech engineer anytime someone criticizes one source of knowledge over another is appalling to me in the fact that knowledge is knowledge its medium of travel shouldn't be the sole piece of criticism it is judged on. Yes there are those videos out there which are halfassed and not very good OBVIOUSLY, but there are just as many decent if not good ones that get a decent amount of important information across. If someone is willing to post a tutorial on a pass, shift, color change, then ill watch it. I think some forum readers thought i meant "Information on Youtube is the BEST PLACE TO LEARN". I was merely saying he has multiple outlets for information. Trying to find an older magician to learn from isn't the only way to learn because there are PLENTY other places to go to and gather information from without stressing out about finding a mentor.

"Trust me, I've watched Vernon shrug people off and at the same time, give certain people more than their fair share of his time. You'll see this with many of the guys older than me in that they are tired and havent' time for wannabes. You have to prove yourself first and that takes us straight back to what I said and where I was pointing you to initially. " This was the exact point i was trying to get across as well. Some older magicians don't have time for people who don't know ANYTHING and want to learn from an experienced person you have to have a foundation first which is why I referred various sources which are great places to start.

Sep 4, 2013
Thank you guys so much! I went to the S.A.M. link that you recommended and it is just what I was looking for, something to keep me in touch with local magicians. I didn't even know something like this existed, its perfect! I think I might try going to one of these meetings, if I am allowed to of course. I am only fifteen so I'll have to look into that. I also understand that I should get the basic of magic before venturing on to more complex tricks. Luckily I have that exact book; Now You See It, Now You Don't, by Bill Tarr. Thanks again for the advice, if anything else comes to mind feel free to reply!

Apr 17, 2013
Thank you guys so much! I went to the S.A.M. link that you recommended and it is just what I was looking for, something to keep me in touch with local magicians. I didn't even know something like this existed, its perfect! I think I might try going to one of these meetings, if I am allowed to of course. I am only fifteen so I'll have to look into that. So thank you for the advice, and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who isn't a big fan of learning off of youtube. I also understand that I should get the basic of magic before venturing on to more complex tricks. Luckily I have that exact book; Now You See It, Now You Don't, by Bill Tarr.

The SAM and the IBM both have youth programs. The SAM one is called SYM but most rings and assemblies have no problem with teens at meetings. I was president of Ring 189 by the time I was 17 because I put the work in to learn magic and because I acted as an adult not some silly teen. The IBM and the SAM have a lower membership price for those under 18 and even offer special events for the Jr. Members. Every year at the IBM convention Lance Burton does a three day camp style thing.

Finally pick up an issue of Genii and or MAGIC. The have ads for magic conventions and also venues where live magic will be performed around the country, which is another great way to meet local magicians.

PS another great book to get is the PDF copy of the Original Tarbell. It can be had for $30.

Sep 4, 2013
Wow, that's amazing. You sound like a very accomplished magician. What year were you president? Also. I found both the magazines you referenced, but I think I can only subscribe to one for right now. Which would you recommend? I'll look into the book as well. Thank you!

Apr 17, 2013
Wow, that's amazing. You sound like a very accomplished magician. What year were you president? Also. I found both the magazines you referenced, but I think I can only subscribe to one for right now. Which would you recommend? I'll look into the book as well. Thank you!

1996-97 and 1997-98. I would look at which one offers the better online back issue support

Jul 27, 2013
Sorry for the late response, but books,dvd's, etc. + a friend of mine who got into magic around the same time as me. Having 1 or 2 friends who are also in to magic that you can bounce ideas off of since they also perform for others and know what mistakes can occur helps alot. Especially for practicing your patter for certain tricks or making sure you don't flash is a BIG help. Alot of the times practicing in the mirror is good, but practicing to actual people is better which is why having 1 other person who knows the ins and outs of magic helps alot in that they don't need to teach you anything new, but just by them knowing where to look so that you are clean. As for the books, I really love just reading routines in general from different books as there can be 3-5 books on a certain piece of magic and 5-10 various routines on how to do it! As for Youtube and DvD's those are mainly for just a visual and perhaps different take on tricks. Others might disagree, but I find the tricks on Youtube to vary so much that they can spark various ideas. Never seclude yourself to only 1 or 2 mediums of obtaining knowledge. Always be open to any venue that can provide you with a new idea, which can lead eventually to your own style of magic. Hope that helps and goodluck!

Sep 4, 2013
Most of my friends aren't really into it. I do know one person who I think might be able to help me except we're not really friends so I dont know how I would ask him. But I completely agree, I would love to have someone to watch my tricks and bounce ideas off of, it's just the problem of finding one. I was thinking of starting a magic club at my school but I'm not sure if I could handle the responsibilty of putting together a club. I brought it up with one of my friends and she says she may know some people who would be interested. I started to think that maybe we could pull it off together except at the very end she told me she was talking about Magic the card game (which I know nothing about). So no I'm concerned that even if i do start a magic club, will some people mistake it as some specific card game convention? Its just a lot to think about.

Apr 17, 2013
Most of my friends aren't really into it. I do know one person who I think might be able to help me except we're not really friends so I dont know how I would ask him. But I completely agree, I would love to have someone to watch my tricks and bounce ideas off of, it's just the problem of finding one. I was thinking of starting a magic club at my school but I'm not sure if I could handle the responsibilty of putting together a club. I brought it up with one of my friends and she says she may know some people who would be interested. I started to think that maybe we could pull it off together except at the very end she told me she was talking about Magic the card game (which I know nothing about). So no I'm concerned that even if i do start a magic club, will some people mistake it as some specific card game convention? Its just a lot to think about.

Send emails to the local IBM and SAM to find if they have Jr clubs and get the meetings times.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results