Need advice

Nov 26, 2013
I have a friend who follows me on Instagram, and he sees my magic trick videos. After he sees the video he will automatically look it up on YouTube. After he figures out a few he doesn't do them to people, but he will tell everyone how I do the effect. I've told him not to tell people but if people ask me how I do it, and he is present he will volunteer the information on how to do the trick. He is a nice guy and I don't won't this to ruin our friendship, but what do I do? Any advice helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2013
Personally I would just be straight up to the guy and say hey this is my passion and I love doing it and you're hindering that when you tell people the trick. I may be wrong but that's just what I would do but hey I'm no Ancient Philosopher such as Steerpike, RickEverhart, or krab 1. :)

Nov 20, 2013
What you need to figure out how to do make your friend is "superior" with his KNOWLEDGE.. and not superior for telling the knowledge. Option 1: Have him say something like. "Oh, I love the working on that trick". He's actually using his own little magic trick. Effect "How to make himself look smart". By controlling the outcomes. Controlling who is "in the know" and who is left out of the loop. He holds the power. Tell him to try that one time.. People don't admire the leaker.. they admire the mystery. Option 2. Teach him a magic trick every time he keeps him mouth shut. Adding to his power. Option 3. Tell him it's the code of the magician to not teach the secrets, unless to other magicians. So give him a group of magicians.. who will pay for the info.

Action YOU can do: choose tricks that people don't care HOW it's done.. They just care THAT it's done. Presentation works well with this.
Or overload... perform trick after trick after trick.. if they ask how it's done.. say.. "Which one, this one" but do another version of the same trick.
Last tidbit: Go Jerry Andus or Lennart Green and disconnect yourself from the inner circles and create new sleights so deceitful no one can figure them out. You have a blessing in disguise here.. Become a phenomenal creator like these guys. Magic needs you.. Start now!

Mix and match advice.

Keep in mind.. magic and attention control work when the rules are applied.. NOT just when you are performing. Misdirect from your buddy. It's your duty as a magician.

He's not a nice guy. He's a dick. He has no respect for your passion/hobby/career/thing you love to do and he's stomping all over it at any available opportunity he gets. How is that being a "nice guy"?

There's a couple things you can do. I recommend doing all of them.

1) Sit his rear down and flat out tell him that what he is doing is being a jerk and you don't appreciate it. You want him to stop, and if he doesn't then it may affect your friendship with him.

2) Stop posting videos on instagram. Start performing for live audiences instead. His research efforts will be hindered when he can't sit there and take his time reviewing everything over and over again at the click of the mouse.

3) Don't label your videos with the trick name. IE: If you're doing a diagonal palm shift don't call the video My Diagonal Palm Shift. Makes his research efforts that much harder when he has no clue what to type in the search bar.

4) Don't perform with him around. You're not a monkey on a leash. You don't need to dance everytime one says "show me a card trick." If he's there say no. Say that he's the reason why no one is going to get to see any magic. Say he really likes exposing your magic and you'd rather not have him do that. Make him the villain. The audience will take care of their own. Just like any other heckler.

5) Stop performing trick of the week stuff. Most of the exposure videos are from artists who release the "next greatest thing" from Theory11, and Ellusionist. I have yet to see someone put out anything from like Tarbel or Mark Wilsons. Expand what you do and where you learn from.

6) Lie. "Oh I know how he does that! It's because he has a fake thumb. Har har har." Flat out tell a lie. 'Sure. that's one way of doing it. But I don't do it that way.' And button up yer lip! You're not on trail. You don't need to explain, over explain, or defend against anything. The more you respond to their provocations the deeper you dig yourself.

Good luck man. This is all about audience control and management. You'll get there.

Apr 17, 2013
You say he is seeing your effects in instagram. Pray tell, are you posting the effects with their real name; or if you learned them from youtube are you posting them under the name by which you learned the effect? If so that needs to stop. The other question I have is why post your effects on instagram? You say he is a nice guy but it sounds like he is not nice or has some real self esteem issue by not letting you have your moment in the spot light. You need to have a real talk with him about this. Tell him it is impeding your friendship and if he keeps down this road you will be forced to end the friendship. Also block him from your videos.

Then there is the option of just not performing when he is around. When someone ask why, do not call him out by name. Simply say, in your own style, "I'm sorry, for there is one among you who feels the needs to spoil the wonderment and joy people experience while watching my wonderful illusions and slight of hand. They feel the need to tell everyone how the prestidigitation done... And for this reason I can not present my feats of legerdemain. Perhaps a later time."

Then do what Craig said kick him right in the baby maker.

PS.I see William has given some of the same advice while I was typing and putting diner in the crock pot. Teach me to multi task.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2013
You could try doing tricks that he can't find by using google such as newly published tricks. You could also not post them all on Instagram , I'm not saying you shouldn't because I do quite a bit. Craig that was one of the best responses I've seen from you.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Man, you guys already got all the good answers.

I have one more which is just going further with something meggisonj said - Perform things he can't look up. Don't use the name of the trick in the video. Don't use the presentation that is given with the material; don't use a presentation that is anything like it, in fact. Perform obscure material instead of what's just popular now. Obscure isn't even the right word - there's so much amazing material that isn't even hard to find or all that expensive. Even changing something that's fairly popular can do the trick.

Learn to make your material unique and meaningful and people will prefer not to know.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I'd say if you want to post your videos on instagram for him to look at. Either make them password protected or put a screamer in them when it's about to get to the "magic".

But the simpler solution is to just remove yourself from the equation. Take the high road and simply get rid of your videos, and stop performing when he is around. This should usually fix the problem.

Nov 20, 2013
YES CHRISTOPHERT!!! That's the TICKET!! Change something to make it yours.. But like I said.. You have the opportunity to be a great creator following in the footsteps of Lennart Green and Andrus..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results